Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Surge

Options
13»

Comments

I figured out on a new save it's triggered by turning the power on.

Not having as much fun with this as I was expecting. Love the gear and loot system but not so much the combat. Barely used the vertical attact as it's a liability on many of the weapons, the heavy enemies have a bit too much speed and the faster ones do too much damage imo.

Speedy weapons are the only way to go , the slow ones get you clobbered in the middle of the animation most of the time, and F that targeting on the second boss. You'd never get hit if didn't have to adjust it every time in the first phase :mad:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can't figure out if I'm actually enjoying this game or not, which I appreciate is probably a strange thing to say. It's extremely compelling, the "ah ffs!" of getting blapped by a thing you'd previously blapped the last time whilst running towards your last corpse. I used to be pretty sure I wasn't much of a masochist, now I'm questioning everything...

In the 3rd area now and it's cheap as hell not I suck so "git good" it's serious cheap at this point. They way the game is designed doesn't lend itself kindly to anything other than 1v1 being fair because of how block works, which only works if you are targeting the enemy attacking you :mad:

From the map you get loading in it's not a big game. The story is non existent really bar a few audio logs.

For anyone the fence lords of the fallen was a far better game than this over all I'd say, outside the better setting here and the cool loot system ..... I'm leaning on advising on keeping your money. Theres balance issues with damage enemies do too like I mentioned earlier , enemies that should be slow but powerful are faster than they have any business being, don't get me started on tight spaces cqc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Anyone manage to pick this up in Argos? Was just down in Liffey Valley trying to pick it up for a friend and the system wouldn't let them sell it for some reason.

So I attempted the first boss with a staff weapon and it was graaaaand :) Didn't feel too confident going to the next level without squaring away my tech souls, so I went and spent it all and made sure everything was as upgraded as I could make it. I think I've levelled the Power Cores to about 35. So I'm sure I'm way over levelled etc, but I've not played this sorta game before and it's challenging as things are cause I'm a filthy casual :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Anyone manage to pick this up in Argos? Was just down in Liffey Valley trying to pick it up for a friend and the system wouldn't let them sell it for some reason.

Wouldn't LET them? Like they had the copy but it wouldn't go through or the system was preventing it from being found in the warehouse? Surely if the formeer they can just put through a manual transaction for the amount?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Wouldn't LET them? Like they had the copy but it wouldn't go through or the system was preventing it from being found in the warehouse? Surely if the formeer they can just put through a manual transaction for the amount?

That's what i was trying to argue with them but they were having none of it. They said it was there but they couldn't sell it. Absolute joke that they can't just ring it through the till and sort out their issue with it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

PC tip, if you die on a boss quickly hit alt f4 and when you load your game will be loaded in just before you go into the boss area, not sure if it works on every boss.

Ah, Save Scumming the proper way :D Good old Alt+F4, will keep an eye on that and see how I get on with it.

I felt really pleased with myself after kicking that first proper boss' arse. Then I went and had a look at the
    JCB rapid spiny bucket and ice to slow you down before he stomps on you
    guy near the start who put me back in my place properly. :D

It's actually worth killing them. They drop
    a shiny coin
    which can be used to get a
    Ironmouse Armor set.

The one in the 3rd area is a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

im on the 4th one but i keep getting one hit and i have like 400+ hp

Lone Stone wrote: »
    im on the 4th one but i keep getting one hit and i have like 400+ hp

Yeah what an arseache those flamethrower guys are, they to telegraph it but normally by the time I've noticed it's too late. They do a kind of mass discharge and explode it. Don't do the running attack on them like I was doing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Is this game worh getting ? Have been watching some reviews snd Im in 2 minds.. does it play like a Modern Dark Souls ? Is it a big game, content wise ?

On to the fourth boss
    Black Cerberus
    it would be fairly ok if I wasn't trying to get the
    Pax to destroy the tanks
    what a pain that is he won't
    fire rockets unless he's far enough away
    and I usually die in the attempt to get him in the right position.

Saw both endings tonight. I expected more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

£19.99 from graingers, worth a try?

sweetie wrote: »
    £19.99 from graingers, worth a try?

For that sort of money yeah it's worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Demo now available on all platforms

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This worth 23 euro? on sale atm on psn store, keep in mind I absolutely suck at dark souls type games!

This worth 23 euro? on sale atm on psn store, keep in mind I absolutely suck at dark souls type games!

Tough one to call, I found the bosses to be absolute kittens compared to the rest of the game and anything dark souls had. Bosses are pretty much dodge, dodge, stab apart from one or two. The standard mobs though are another thing entirely you get very wrecked very quickly and very unfairly at times. The last few areas especially I found very tough but I know it's been heavily patched since I played it for balance and stuff like parry and blocking. Over all I'd rate this easier than the dark souls games but requires more patience than them if that makes sense.

I know you enjoy trophies so it's a 2.5 -3 plays for platinum.

Actually just spotted EoinMcLovin post above mentioning a demo, why not give it a try ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I picked it up a couple weeks ago for less than €15 from base I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

This is getting a sequel. I hated the first one so probably won't bother with this one even if I do think it looks decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is getting a sequel. I hated the first one so probably won't bother with this one even if I do think it looks decent enough.

Never got around to getting the first one, but it was definitely on my radar at the time. Where did it fail, Doc? They might be able to tighten things up for the sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Never got around to getting the first one, but it was definitely on my radar at the time. Where did it fail, Doc? They might be able to tighten things up for the sequel.

Thought it was cheap. Enemies hit too hard and you too little making Bosses in particular long drawn out boring fights, standard mobs too. Probably just needed to git gud but didn't want to invest the time like I did with Souls. Tough encounters for me typically ended with me thinking thank fcuk that's over rather than the adrenaline rush and sense of achievement I like to feel. A lot of people liked it so it is just my opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It is cheap now on xbox and was thinking of picking it up as sideshow rpgish game.
    It did got good reviews and people generally like it. If they take criticism from first game and implement it in second one, they might have a great game there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Was a game that never interested me and I love DS.

I seen Fighting Cowboy play it pre-release and wasn't impressed(in fairness to Fighting Cowboy he gave the final game a thumbs up).

Advertisement