Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Person you most like in football ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Antonio Di Natale, great player who was under appreciated in general.Seems like an all round nice guy aswell ,he showed loyalty to Udinese when he could have moved to Juve and won something and also to do what he did for his team mate Morisini's sister after he died shows the sort of decent fella he must be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Bergkamp, oozed class on and off the field, his vision and skill were levels above most players when he arrived in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ricero wrote: »
    Dirk kuyt was and is still loved by us lfc fans such a work horse who loved a big goal.

Himself and xabi alonso seem like two sound men

And his 5 year old son is better than most of us have ever been.

https://twitter.com/lovekrazygoods/status/843159700946501632

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

James McClean. Sound man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Didier Drogba. A man far beyond the game of football. It is a privilege to have him involved in the sport. And my god, what a big game player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Romario or hristo stoitchcov for me but I loved the nut jobs like Edmundo,Asprilla and Ortega.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Chris Kamara, top top guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

Juan Mata. Always has a smile and seems like a gent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

dmc17 wrote: »
    Juan Mata. Always has a smile and seems like a gent.

very very intelligent also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

very very intelligent also.

How do you know that?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    How do you know that?

He finished secondary school

How do you know that?

Very rather than "very very" maybe! He has a few academic degrees, speaks 3 or 4 languages and his blogs are very articulate and informative. Plus he changed allegiances from Chelsea to United!

Very rather than "very very" maybe! He has a few academic degrees, speaks 3 or 4 languages and his blogs are very articulate and informative. Plus he changed allegiances from Chelsea to United!
    I don't believe he has a few degrees. I'd be surprised if he even has one

I don't believe he has a few degrees. I'd be surprised if he even has one

I don't care what you believe! It is true!

I don't care what you believe! It is true!

According to google he's studying for a degree, rather than has a few. Probably 60% of those who did the leaving cert over the last 15 years could have said similar at one stage

Granted though, among footballers that makes him seem particularly intelligent. I'd also add that to start studying for a degree where the motivation is purely educational, rather than the need for a career, certainly indicates he's an intelligent guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Plus he changed allegiances from Chelsea to United!

That would make me question his intelligence TBH. :pac:

GavRedKing wrote: »

You can have your Man Utd flop Falcao and we will take Juan Mata anyday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mata and Iniesta in the lead up the world cup had interviews where they both said they were studying for degrees. Iirc Iniesta has a MBA and is also studying sport science. Mata was studying finance and something else. Can't find this on google tho. :(
    GavRedKing wrote: »

Ye numskulls forced him out. :p

In fairness you stole Hughes from us so we owed you one!

Turtwig wrote: »
    Mata and Iniesta in the lead up the world cup had interviews where they both said they were studying for degrees. Iirc Iniesta has a MBA and is also studying sport science. Mata was studying finance and something else. Can't find this on google tho. :(

He studied journalism whilst at Madrid and started 2 further long distance degrees when he joined Chelsea and as far as I am aware concluded them in "marketing" and "sports science and finance".

You have to remember players have unlimited finances, plenty of spare time at home and cannot over indulge in alcohol etc so it is hardly surprising some will study, if even for a hobby.
    I am sure he could charm himself out of trouble with late assignments also if he had the right tutor!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Turtwig wrote: »

Correction, Jose forced him out :P

He studied journalism whilst at Madrid and started 2 further long distance degrees when he joined Chelsea and as far as I am aware concluded them in "marketing" and "sports science and finance".

You have to remember players have unlimited finances, plenty of spare time at home and cannot over indulge in alcohol etc so it is hardly surprising some will study, if even for a hobby.
    I am sure he could charm himself out of trouble with late assignments also if he had the right tutor!

Did he finish them though? There doesn't seem to be any reference online to him doing so. I don't dispute he's smarter than your average footballer, but starting a few degrees, alone, isn't an indication that someone is extremely intelligent

I'd argue wasting your time doing a whole pile of degrees when you're already a millionaire is the height of stupidity not intelligence

I'd argue wasting your time doing a whole pile of degrees when you;'already a millionaire is the height of stupidity not intelligence

Completely disagree. It's improving your knowledge, challenging your beliefs and understandings, and stimulating your brain. If you have the motivation and interest in a subject, there's few better long term commitments to undertake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

Didi Hamann - top bloke.

I'd argue wasting your time doing a whole pile of degrees when you;'already a millionaire is the height of stupidity not intelligence

Ridiculous statement. It is called broadening your spectrum of life knowledge by challenging yourself on a different domain. For Mata, maybe it is a way to relax and a hobby also.
    Putting your mind to use is very healthy also so to call it stupidity is a strange one!
    He probably stretched his modules over more years than a standard student also, so as to not put himself under any needless pressure.

Completely disagree. It's improving your knowledge, challenging your beliefs and understandings, and stimulating your brain. If you have the motivation and interest in a subject, there's few better long term commitments to undertake

Fair enough to study something enjoyable to kill a bit of time but why doesn't he spend this time becoming the perfect footballer that would be a far better use of his time.You can never be too good at something.

Ridiculous statement. It is called broadening your spectrum of life knowledge by challenging yourself on a different domain. For Mata, maybe it is a way to relax and a hobby also.
    Putting your mind to use is very healthy also so to call it stupidity is a strange one!
    He probably stretched his modules over more years than a standard student also, so as to not put himself under any needless pressure.

I'm exaggerating a bit with the stupidity remark but seeing as he doesn't need the money has found a job that he is only going to be doing for a short time why doesn't he spend all his time in becoming the perfect footballer and do all the other stuff after his football career is finished.

I'm exaggerating a bit with the stupidity remark but seeing as he doesn't need the money has found a job that he is only going to be doing for a short time why doesn't he spend all his time in becoming the perfect footballer and do all the other stuff after his football career is finished.

So you are essentially saying all he should do, 24 hours a day is train and sleep? I would hazard a guess Mata would be under strict contractual terms to ensure his football takes priority over other lifestyle distractions.

He isn't walking around campus' I imagine and joining fraternities! Think about your own career, why are you on Boards instead of strictly honing your career skills! If you did the latter, you would go crazy!

You need to have a hobby.

So you are essentially saying all he should do, 24 hours a day is train and sleep? I would hazard a guess Mata would be under strict contractual terms to ensure his football takes priority over other lifestyle distractions.

He isn't walking around campus' I imagine and joining fraternities! Think about your own career, why are you on Boards instead of strictly honing your career skills! If you did the latter, you would go crazy!

You need to have a hobby.

My initial remark was being a little flippant but if I was him I wouldn't waste my time learning something that he probably isn't going to have any practical use for in the future, particularly as marketing and business are not exactly the most fun subjects to study.

As for why I'm not putting all my focus into my career, well to be honest I have no real interest in my job.All I'm doing here is filling in time.

• Advertisement

My initial remark was being a little flippant but if I was him I wouldn't waste my time learning something that he probably isn't going to have any practical use for in the future, particularly as marketing and business are not exactly the most fun subjects to study.

As for why I'm not putting all my focus into my career, well to be honest I have no real interest in my job or life in general.All I'm doing here is filling in time.

There's a lot out there irrespective of your interests, time available or money. A degree in marketing mightn't be your thing, but it's someone's. Get out and find what your thing is. It beats just filling in time

CSF wrote: »
    I haven't thought about this in huge depth so someone else could come to mind but Mick McCarthy is a great lad.

I can genuinely say Mick McCarthy paid my wages one day!! I caddied in the K Club when I was a kid and it was the eddie Jordan Golf Classic! It was circa 99 when Ireland were in qualifying stage for Euro 2000 (f'in Turkey!)
    The caddy master pointed at who I was caddying for and as a kid I was in shock when it was him!

He genuinely was very sound. Most of the rest of the "celeb" golfers wouldn't look at their caddies, he chatted away with me and showed a bit of interest!

He bought me a hot dog, a Yorkie and a bottle of Sprite at the half way mark and gave me 35 pounds at the 18th!!

I cycled home and I think I told half the village about my day!

The innocence of youth!

A tidy golfer also, nice short game!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Sir Alex Ferguson. Certainly not everyone's cuppa tea, but there's no denying his mastering of critical managerial skills in motivating, controlling, planning and organising. The ultimate manager, IMO. Beyond these functions, he's a born leader of men and the proof is in the pudding.

Never resisted changing his ways of working - rebuilding teams and strategies; making difficult decisions - dismissing Stam during the peak of his powers, the Keane situation, fielding the class of '92 to mainstream criticism and scrutiny.

He didn't always get it right. He had some questionable transfers, particularly during the "Rock of Gibraltar" period and it could be argued that the his succession plan left the club in turmoil - even though he left a squad which had won the league at a canter, but that brings me to my next point.

The man also had a unprecedented qualitative motivational factor. When you look back on some of teams he fielded, not only in singular games, but throughout championship winning seasons, he could get average players to perform far beyond their abilities.

But, overall I really admire the man's will to win. A phenomenal hunger to claim trophies and records - not only at United, but his achievement with Aberdeen was fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd argue wasting your time doing a whole pile of degrees when you're already a millionaire is the height of stupidity not intelligence

Such inane nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Kante, he has the temperament of a monk, not a bad footballer either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Can't decide between Gigi Buffon and Xabi Alonso, two absolute legends and all around sound lads.

Third favourite would have to be Gary Lineker, and Arsene Wenger in fourth.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Can't decide between Gigi Buffon and Xabi Alonso, two absolute legends and all around sound lads.

Third favourite would have to be Gary Lineker, and Arsene Wenger in fourth.

First time I have ever seen anyone say Lineker! He would be arguably my least favourite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Fair enough to study something enjoyable to kill a bit of time but why doesn't he spend this time becoming the perfect footballer that would be a far better use of his time.You can never be too good at something.

You think a players mental state has no effect on his footballing ability?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Eamon Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

One from the 80's, Peter Reid, seems like a good bloke and a good laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Del Piero and Totti

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Fernando Redondo - as smooth as they come. just a beautiful player to watch, effortless in everything he did. And he wouldnt cut his hair!!!
    Pavel Nedved - just seemed like a down to earth guy who gave everything for club and country and also happened to be a fantastic footballer.
    Zvonimir Boban - another silky smooth 90s midfielder and a bit of a crazy kick facing b@stard to boot (no pun intended) when the need arose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Damien Richardson.

A real gent.

On condition he speaks in Programmenotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I have ridiculous man-love for Buffon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

First time I have ever seen anyone say Lineker! He would be arguably my least favourite!

I never had anything against him but wasn't his biggest fan either. Since he became so outspoken on Twitter I've really warmed to him.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    I never had anything against him but wasn't his biggest fan either. Since he became so outspoken on Twitter I've really warmed to him.

He contradicts himself in every second sentence! For me, anyway, it is becoming one of the main reasons I dislike him! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

dd972 wrote: »
    One from the 80's, Peter Reid, seems like a good bloke and a good laugh.

Sold his FA Cup medal when manager of Plymouth to raise money for the club when it was in serious financial trouble. He also put in his own money to pay for bills and mortgages of staff members who were at risk of default.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Drumpot wrote: »
    Dirk Kuyt.. I'm a united fan but this guy is just a great example of grounded, decent footballer and a rare character for children to look up to... the charity work he has done is quite remarkable.

From a football perspective he was grossly undervalued by pool fans.I Was at a united v pool game (one where idiotic mascherano talked himself into a red) and Kuyt was the only Liverpool player who showed up. All the big names hid or flopped. He was popular with managers but not so popular with fans. The unappreciated kind of player who is not fancy or statastic, but effective and team grounded.

Kuyt was always very popular with Liverpool fans. If he was undervalued I'd say it was by non-Liverpool fans if anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Bob Paisley.

A gentleman by all accounts not to mention 6 titles and 3 European Cups in only nine years as manager of Liverpool. Unbelievable record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Denis 'Any Beers?' Irwin
    Paolo Maldini
    Javier Zanetti
    Gianluigi Buffon.
    Andrea Pirlo.

All gentlemen and top pro's.

Ji Sung Park and Ole Gunnar Solksjaer. Spent most of their UTD careers as squad player but never sulked and always gave their all on the field. You'd never think OGS scored 126 goals for UTD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement