Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Filans old house turns into a B&B!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Vlove wrote: »
    Wouldn't consider staying in it either, it's rather too big to be a b&b in my opinion . It would be better off just to be someones privately owned home or a summer house..

Too big for a b&b, but just the right size for a summer house, for who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Sad to see a family home have to be sold. Even worse to see people delighting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Sad to see a family home have to be sold. Even worse to see people delighting in it.

Family home my arse.
    It was a castle to look down on all the plebs. There were far more reasonable "family homes" that he could have built. But instead he choose to build that monstrosity.
    Filan also went out of his way to screw local tradesmen out of money . Zero sympathy from me.

Family home my arse.
    It was a castle to look down on all the plebs. There were far more reasonable "family homes" that he could have built. But instead he choose to build that monstrosity.
    Filan also went out of his way to screw local tradesmen out of money . Zero sympathy from me.

Judging by the emotion in that post, you see yourself as either a pleb or someone who got screwed. I'm not sure why you think someone should build a "reasonable" home just because you feel a teeny weeny bit inferior.

I see this thread has now turned from a sense of shock about a home owner doing b&b to one about knocking the guy who built it.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭juno10353

Looks stun ing in photo, but could someone explain the fact that they advertise family rooms, yet stat that the hotel can not accomodate children. What constitutes a family in Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

sligoblue wrote: »
    Judging by the emotion in that post, you see yourself as either a pleb or someone who got screwed. I'm not sure why you think someone should build a "reasonable" home just because you feel a teeny weeny bit inferior.

I see this thread has now turned from a sense of shock about a home owner doing b&b to one about knocking the guy who built it.

haha ah will you stop.
    He couldn't afford to build it, these kind of reckless decisions were a big part of the reason he went bankrupt.
    I`ve zero issue with someone living in their means. If their means can stretch to a mansion, they`ll receive nothing but best wishes from me.
    I was responding directly to a comment which criticised "begrudges".
    I found the notion of someone begrudging a bankrupt ridiculous and hence my comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Of course he could afford to build it. They were all multi millionaires. His issues came when he went big into property development with his brother at the end of the boom. They went bankrupt and he lost the house.

haha ah will you stop.
    He couldn't afford to build it, these kind of reckless decisions were a big part of the reason he went bankrupt.
    I`ve zero issue with someone living in their means. If their means can stretch to a mansion, they`ll receive nothing but best wishes from me.
    I was responding directly to a comment which criticised "begrudges".
    I found the notion of someone begrudging a bankrupt ridiculous and hence my comment.

I don't know the guy, and I'm not sure why you brought the original owner into a thread about the current owner doing b&b, but I thought he could well afford to build it and he and his family lived there long before he ran into trouble. I thought he lost his money on other developments.

I get the feeling from your posts that you are the type that revels in the misfortune of others, a small person. Have you ever speculated to accumulate? Have you ever put everything on the line to improve yours and your family's lot? Or do you begrudge success and smile when others fail?

"Topmanamillion", nice avatar, maybe "smallboygettingby"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

I don't know the guy, and I'm not sure why you brought the original owner into a thread about the current owner doing b&b
    did you read the title? yea he brought him into it :rolleyes:
    I get the feeling from your posts that you are the type that revels in the misfortune of others, a small person. Have you ever speculated to accumulate? Have you ever put everything on the line to improve yours and your family's lot? Or do you begrudge success and smile when others fail?
    its one thing putting your own success on the line, its another bringing other business with you. Having talked to people in affected companies, its actually the way he behaved personally when the crap hit the fan, not from a business pov that has people lacking sympathy.
    "Topmanamillion", nice avatar, maybe "smallboygettingby"?
    i think you've lost any claim to the high ground at this stage...

on the bedroom in the picture... unless there is more to the room which isnt shown... pretty sure that v shaped bedroom fails building regs on 2 items.
    Not really sure whats going on with that shower either... should be a nice feature but unit looks rather cheap compared to the finishes throughout the house

overshoot wrote: »
    did you read the title? yea he brought him into it :rolleyes:

its one thing putting your own success on the line, its another bringing other business with you. Having talked to people in affected companies, its actually the way he behaved personally when the crap hit the fan, not from a business pov that has people lacking sympathy.

i think you've lost any claim to the high ground at this stage...

on the bedroom in the picture... unless there is more to the room which isnt shown... pretty sure that v shaped bedroom fails building regs on 2 items.
    Not really sure whats going on with that shower either... should be a nice feature but unit looks rather cheap compared to the finishes throughout the house

My apologies, I had assumed that the ops reference to SF was a means of identifying which house he/she was so shocked about the current owners doing B&B. I now see why a group of small people, sorry, small group of people took the opportunity to put the boot in to the original owner.

How did he "behave" while he was going bankrupt in public and losing everything that so offends you?

I'm sure you are on a more solid footing with this one seen as you seem to know a bit about it, what regulations are being broken?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

My apologies, I had assumed that the ops reference to SF was a means of identifying which house he/she was so shocked about the current owners doing B&B. I now see why a group of small people, sorry, small group of people took the opportunity to put the boot in to the original owner.
    why not just say big house does B&B so?
    theres a delete button on your phone/keypad if you really wanted to edit what you were writing, if you feel the need to make insults I don't really feel the need to engage beyond this post.
    How did he "behave" while he was going bankrupt in public and losing everything that so offends you?
    Cant help noticing you blanked the taking others with him. As i said, it was their opinion of how he behaved. Your very defensive of someone you dont know. And do you really think he lost everything?

Part B & F of the regs... but as i said plenty the camera may not show... as in the protected stair a 3 story house should have. I'll admit im not sure if the issue im looking at was in the pre2009 part f.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Somebody buys a large unoccupied house on the open market and turns it into a B&B.
    Must be a world first.
    Quick, start a boards.ie thread about it! :rolleyes:

Advertisement