Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bat trade yes/no

Options
  • 18-03-2017 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

OK so I'm coming into a little money and I'm thinking of renting a premises to turn into a bar in south county Dublin, I am sure it will make money but been honest don't know anything about opening a bar, running a bar no problem but getting off the ground zero .... So any help or ideas about insurance,costs, stuff like that would be a great help will have my cousin do accounts but it's the just the initial start I'm interested in.... Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Why a bar? Is it because you like bars yourself? If so, not a good idea. Myself and a couple of friends toyed with the idea but we all have the fondness for the liquor so decided not to!

Tough game to make money in, you will have to do food and then you are into health and safety standards.

First things first, try to buy yourself a licence to sell alcohol. Google it. Not cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OK so I'm coming into a little money and I'm thinking of renting a premises to turn into a bar in south county Dublin, I am sure it will make money but been honest don't know anything about opening a bar, running a bar no problem but getting off the ground zero .... So any help or ideas about insurance,costs, stuff like that would be a great help will have my cousin do accounts but it's the just the initial start I'm interested in.... Thanks for reading

Renting a random premises and then purchasing a drinks license will be near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 stekelly321979

I was a bar man when I was younger kinda always fancied running my own....... Seems everyone is of the same idea it's to risky.. The licence I take it will become hardest part, the premises I have already an idea of where 2500 a month I was thinking 15000 /20000 to turn it into a bar (am I wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I am sure it will make money but

Stop right there and start again.

Why do you think your bar will make money? Bear in mind some very experienced people are having huge difficulties making profits out of bars right now.

If this is a hobby and you don't mind losing your investment that's different, have at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I was a bar man when I was younger kinda always fancied running my own....... Seems everyone is of the same idea it's to risky.. The licence I take it will become hardest part, the premises I have already an idea of where 2500 a month I was thinking 15000 /20000 to turn it into a bar (am I wrong)

Are you asking if a place where it currently costs €2,500 a month to rent will only cost €20,000 to convert into a bar?

I suspect you'd be closer adding on another zero.

• Advertisement

Well the location is good I assume it will do well as not a bar for a few miles and there is a lot of business's and housing around the area... This is just my idea to invest in something I wouldn't like to lose it ,, would 20 grand not be enough to convert a place into a bar????

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well the location is good I assume it will do well as not a bar for a few miles and there is a lot of business's and housing around the area... This is just my idea to invest in something I wouldn't like to lose it ,, would 20 grand not be enough to convert a place into a bar????

No

Not even close

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I was thinking oooh bat trade sounds interesting then just turned out to be another I have no clue about this industry should I start in it thread. Looking forward to hearing Pedro's take on this one!

20k is nowhere even close to being enough that's barely enough to open any sort of business with a retail location let alone a bar. Even for the most experienced bar owners opening a new one is a huge risk let alone for someone with no experience and a very limited bankroll. If you're looking for a low risk way to invest your money this is not it either stick to what you know or just put it somewhere safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You'll spend more than 20k on professional fees alone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

jimmii wrote: »
    I was thinking oooh bat trade sounds interesting then just turned out to be another I have no clue about this industry should I start in it thread. Looking forward to hearing Pedro's take on this one!
    Bat trade caught my eye also, me with an interest in the lesser horseshoe variety, the country estate being located in one of their biggest Irish habitats/breeding grounds. They are a protected species and off limits.

However, the same cannot be said for posters who have them in the belfry, sharing that space with daft notions on how easy it would be to make one’s stash from a bar despite a lack of skills, research, cash or cop. It being a festive weekend I will refrain from declaring open season and let nature take its course. Darwin and all that……..:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

How much are bar licences making at the moment?

Then you will need to apply for full planning permission and go to court to get the licence attached to the new property. Architect drawings, solicitor, barrister, engineer, fire officer, fire safety, disability.

After you buy the licence all of the above would probably cost around €20K before anybody lifts a tool in the place.

After that though fit out can be as cheap as you want, in theory a second hand kitchen worktop on donedeal for €50 and buy a few bottles of vodka and crates of beer in Tesco and away you.

This is far too complicated. Ideally the owner of the building would acquire the licence, do the fit out and then rent it to you.

You are probably better off trying to lease an existing pub.

Wow some responses are just ****ing rude 20grand was just to do the inside it is not my bank roll.. Can even ask a few questions or try get some people's experiences without the wit of some ass clowns ... Wonder if u would speak to me face to face with same wit or cheek I guess not as you would be picking your teeth up off the floor...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Wow some responses are just ****ing rude 20grand was just to do the inside it is not my bank roll.. Can even ask a few questions or try get some people's experiences without the wit of some ass clowns ... Wonder if u would speak to me face to face with same wit or cheek I guess not as you would be picking your teeth up off the floor...

You can save yourself a few euro by doing your own door security so. Good man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

If your temperament is such that a few wayward comments on an internet forum cause you to get all wound up like this then I don't think the bar trade is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

All typed from the safety of the back bedroom in Mammys house no doubt !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well 20k sounds like a lot but when you come to it it won't go very far. Depends on the bar size.

I presume you won't need a kitchen anyway.

Also cop yourself on and show some manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

If the property doesn't have a licence already you are realistically looking at 200k between the licence, the planning and the lawyers I would think. It might be a little less but that is the order of magnitude. You still have all the interiors, exteriors, etc. to cover. At this stage of the game in Dublin, the market is sophisticated. You need interior designers and all the rest of it. You also really need to think about a food offering and that could be another chunk to set up.

The way people usually get into the game is by leasing an existing bar. You can also buy a failing bar (there are a good few around) and try to make a go of it. There are people who will finance this stuff, but you really need to know what you are doing.

How much experience do you have of managing a bar? Have you experience of purchasing? Running your own business? If a family member came to you with the same idea and experience would you honestly feel it was a good idea? When starting your first business it is always wise to stick to what you know best as its hard enough getting a business going without having to learn the industry as well. I can't imagine your reaction to people you perceive as being cheeky would go down too well in a bar scenario.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Mod: Great way to introduce yourself to the forum, internet tough man and an attitutde problem to go with it. Take some time off and dont rush back if this is how you are going to carry on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement