Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 memory

Options
  • 18-03-2017 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭

It seems no matter what I delete from my phone it fills back up in no time.
    I routinely clear up photos, delete Whatsapp media, uninstall Facebook once maybe twice a week among other things but to pretty much no avail.

I removed all my Spotify offline tracks and deleted seldom used apps a few months ago, supposedly freeing up 1.5GB, yet a week later I had no space without adding anything of note.

Just now I deleted Facebook which was almost 500mb (for reasons only known to them since it was under 200mb when I installed it Monday) and not 2 minutes later the free space has just vanished into the ether.

Do other apps take advantage of space that's freed up? Is there some sort of malicious software exponentially unfolding in my storage? Are Apple trying to push me into a more expensive purchase?

I used to have so much more stuff on my phone than I have now. It seems there's something at play here. Anybody have a similar experience?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The OS will automatically clear temporary data when it is needed - this is to improve speed/performance and reduce data usage in case that data is accessed again. However, some apps (incl Facebook, Twitter) manage their own caches and are known for being buggy and failing to clear them. Facebook and Twitter recently added a clear cache button, though, which might help, but I'd still suggest ditching them in favour of Safari or apps that use Safari View Controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

The OS will automatically clear temporary data when it is needed - this is to improve speed/performance and reduce data usage in case that data is accessed again. However, some apps (incl Facebook, Twitter) manage their own caches and are known for being buggy and failing to clear them. Facebook and Twitter recently added a clear cache button, though, which might help, but I'd still suggest ditching them in favour of Safari or apps that use Safari View Controller.

Cheers. I'll give it a try but I suspect I'll be out of memory again.
    Facebook and Twitter could hardly be swallowing up 1.5GB all of a sudden?
    Never had this issue until a few months ago when I had far more apps and data on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Presumably you know about settings->general->storage and iCloud usage -> manage storage.

Presumably you know about settings->general->storage and iCloud usage -> manage storage.

Yes. I've deleted most of my apps that took up the most space. The space I clear is gone within a short time, that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Just with Spotify. You need to delete and reinstall it also. Deleting offline content doesn't remove the songs from your device.

• Advertisement

Senecio wrote: »
    Just with Spotify. You need to delete and reinstall it also. Deleting offline content doesn't remove the songs from your device.

Thanks. Didn't know that. Should help a lot if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

AS a matter of interest, where are these buttons? In the apps or somewhere in settings?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In the apps themselves. The Twitter one is in Data Usage > Web storage.

I was actually mistaken about Facebook. It was Dropbox who recently added it, though I'm pretty sure Facebook has the option too. You couldn't pay me to use that pathetic excuse for an app, but afaik clearing cache doesn't properly and you usually have to delete the app every few weeks.

Ok so I deleted and reinstalled Spotify and cleared up as much as I could and had 500mb to spare at the start of this week. I haven't installed anything since.

Come today I went to take a photo and I hadn't the space to store it.
    Facebook had doubled in size so I deleted that completely, 400mb, about 2 hours ago.
    I currently have 196mb.

It seems that whatever I do it's just filling up with something.

You need a certain amount of space free for caches. 500mb isn't enough, especially for apps like Facebook and Spotify. I think you need to make more room or get a larger capacity device.

• Advertisement

You need a certain amount of space free for caches. 500mb isn't enough, especially for apps like Facebook and Spotify. I think you need to make more room or get a larger capacity device.

I've been making room for months. I've literally less than half the apps. No photos or videos.

I never had any storage issues when I had hundreds of photos and loads more apps.
    I've gotten rid of apps like iMachine and NanoStudio which were each over a Gb with data and haven't replaced them with anything.

How much space should you have free?

How much space should you have free?

I've no idea. I can't get my head around how I keep getting the same popup about storage management that I was getting months ago considering how much I've removed from the phone since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Updated to the latest software and gained 1gb! Cleared the cache in google music recently and also gained sizeable storage.

pjproby wrote: »
    Updated to the latest software and gained 1gb! Cleared the cache in google music recently and also gained sizeable storage.

I tried updating but the update kept failing to install. Deleted the update and gained 1GB too :)

Advertisement