Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally switching to Android

Options
  • 18-03-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

So I've had a 5s for probably the last three years and it's time for an upgrade. I'm buying a phone outright and have been pricing them up and I just can't justify the price for the 7 series of phones. It just seems ludicrous to me, even for Apple.

I'm switching to Android purely because I won't give Apple that much money for the phone they are providing.

Now I'm a long time Apple user, have used Macs for years, have had iPads since the first generation, Apple TVs and of course iPhones so I'm not looking to start an argument or flame things in here but I would be genuinely interested in those who have purchased the latest series justifying the price. I know with Apple you always pay a premium but they have gone too far north for me and there now seems to be very attractive Android options for a lot less money.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I didn't, I bought a 2nd hand 6s 128GB instead. I didnt really want the 7 to begin with what with the missing headphone jack which I use a lot. And how much faster, better, dontknowhat is the 7 anyway?

Phones are beginning to come to a saturation point I think like PCs did years ago. As in how much faster does a phone realistically need to be than say the iPhone 5s? For a bit of browsing, a few apps, music, a funny vid... The answer is not faster at all. I would have kept the 5s but 32GB was beginning to get tight and I liked the bigger screen on the 6s.

I tried Android and it feels haphazard to a long term apple user. Not looking for an argument, it just does.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm the same. I have the 128gb iPhone 7 but will be looking to switch back to android when the Galaxy S8 comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'm the same. I have the 128gb iPhone 7 but will be looking to switch back to android when the Galaxy S8 comes out.

How come you are changing back? Mine is more or less a financial decision.
    If the 7+ wasn't so expensive I would probably upgrade to it but I'm going to spend more or less half the money on an Android phone.

Patww79 wrote: »

I won't buy second hand. Want to buy a new phone.
    How do you know I won't like Android? My wife uses Android as do some of my work colleagues so, while not totally familiar with it I'm also not totally unfamiliar with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just don't like how locked down the who IOS ecosystem is. The 7 was my first iPhone since the 5 and I've got too used to having the freedom of Android since then.

I kind of only got the 7 because I had wanted to Note, but whole exploding phone thing meant that I'd have to wait six or seven months for the next Samsung. My S6 was showing it's age then so I actually got the iPhone 7 have thinking it was only temporary thing.

The great thing about iPhones is that they hold their value so well so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a swap for an S8 when they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

adox wrote: »
    I won't buy second hand. Want to buy a new phone.
    How do you know I won't like Android? My wife uses Android as do some of my work colleagues so, while not totally familiar with it I'm also not totally unfamiliar with it.

I understand your point had mixed feelings myself but I bought refurbished (AKA new screen I reckon) and I honestly couldnt tell the difference to a new phone. Battery is long too.
    And it was nearly half the money.

Thanks for that and it is food for thought but I won't be spending the money Apple are asking on a new phone. I just won't give them that amount of money as a matter of principle. IOS being more convenient for me isn't worth me spending twice the money on a new phone. I'm sure I will adapt to Android.

A new iPhone isn't a choice for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What Patww79 said rings a bell for me. I know several long-term Android users who love Android and would never consider switching to iOS, where as nearly every iOS user I know who switched to Android ended up switching back, usually within a year.

Going Android because you want the freedom to tweak stuff, etc is fair enough. But going Android because it's cheaper doesn't seem to work out for most people in my experience, except maybe those who only want a phone for calls, texts and Facebook - which in fairness is probably a lot of people.

Anyway, a bit of time spent using non-Apple stuff is probably a good thing. I was stuck using a Windows PC for several years between Macs. It was hell, but it made me appreciate all the things Apple is good at, even if meant not being able to upgrade as frequently.

Apple products aren't getting any cheaper that's for sure. But I'm not sure Android is either. The low-end of the market isn't profitable and it's the entry of Apple's competitors into the premium market that is pushing Apple more and more upmarket. We've already seen this with the iPad and the MacBook Pro and I assume the iPhone is next.

• Advertisement

What Patww79 said rings a bell for me. I know several long-term Android users who love Android and would never consider switching to iOS, where as nearly every iOS user I know who switched to Android ended up switching back, usually within a year.

Going Android because you want the freedom to tweak stuff, etc is fair enough. But going Android because it's cheaper doesn't seem to work out for most people in my experience, except maybe those who only want a phone for calls, texts and Facebook - which in fairness is probably a lot of people.

Anyway, a bit of time spent using non-Apple stuff is probably a good thing. I was stuck using a Windows PC for several years between Macs. It was hell, but it made me appreciate all the things Apple is good at, even if meant not being able to upgrade as frequently.

Apple products aren't getting any cheaper that's for sure. But I'm not sure Android is either. The low-end of the market isn't profitable and it's the entry of Apple's competitors into the premium market that is pushing Apple more and more upmarket. We've already seen this with the iPad and the MacBook Pro and I assume the iPhone is next.

Thanks for that.
    I use a windows PC in work, have even had a windows phone in the past as well as an Android phone(many years ago and a cheap horrible phone).

My options really are to stick with my 5s, which is still working ok apart from the battery and also the 16GB storage is a killer or to switch to Android. I already have researched and have the phone picked that I want - oneplus3T.
    It's half the price of the 7plus and doesn't seem a million miles away from it.

Of course the huge thing is the operating system and whether I can change from iOS to android. I was always willing to pay a premium to Apple to use their combined hardware/software but touching near €1000 for an iPhone is well beyond the tipping point for me.

Thanks and I appreciate your honest feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I own an iPad and an Android phone. I really like both and can see advantages and disadvantages with the two operating systems.

While I can understand why Android is a steeper learning curve for users, I can't see why you won't adapt easily. The two biggest differences I've found between the two are the availability of the back button on Android and the "noisiness" of it. You'll find yourself being asked more often what app you want to open files with etc. But I do genuinely scratch my head in puzzlement at comments about how Android doesn't work as seamlessly. I'm curious to know why, what you were doing and with what apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I had iPhones for a few years up til last year. Last year my job gave me a Samsung Note 4 and i found transition to Android easy. My personal phone is a Wileyfox Swift dual SIM. I love using both phones only thing i miss on iPhone is the Notes app. I loved that as all my notes re stored on the cloud which was very handy alternating between handsets and ipad tablets.

The keep app on android is similar but it doesn't appear to let cloud usage for multiple devices.

I'm often tempted to get an iPhone just cause i miss notes so much. I like that i used it a lot for copying and pasting important stuff that i wanted to hold on to.

You could use something like Evernote? I'm sure there are other apps too but that's what I use. I've a gmail account so I also use Drive to access files on both the iPad and my phone.

OP I see you're looking at a OnePlus 3T. I own the OnePlus 3 which is its slightly older brother and it is a smashing phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Thanks i must check settings

Just checked and my work Gmail was logged onto the keep on the Note 4. I was instantly able to select my private Gmail and my synced keep notes then appeared. Delighted with that so no more iPhones for me in the near future :)

I've just installed Keep. I didn't know it existed. So thanks too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

But I do genuinely scratch my head in puzzlement at comments about how Android doesn't work as seamlessly. I'm curious to know why, what you were doing and with what apps.

I've used both and I agree.

I also don't know why people feel locked into iOS as opposed to Android. What's locking you down?

I've used both and never encountered any problems myself.

I use Spotify for music and Dropbox/Drive as a file system...maybe that's why...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"Lock-in" can happen with either OS, but may be more likely with iOS due to the number of apps and services that are exclusive to iOS due to the greater profitability of the iOS App Store. If I had to switch, for example, I'd have to find Android apps to replace Overcast, Reeder, Tweetbot, Day One, Fantastical, etc, which are my most used apps.. I could do it if I had to, but it would be a pain and in most cases it would be big downgrade which would probably have me crying to go back to iOS within a week. However, a lot of people make do with free multi-platform apps, so an OS change wouldn't make much difference to them. It also probably depends how long you've been in the Apple ecosystem and what other Apple devices you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Try the Pixel and see how android works with the premium iphone feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

I don't really agree with the price of the pixel.

Google, first and foremost, are an ad company. They make money on user data. Obviously Google apps are heavily integrated to the Pixel (and Google assistant) which I'd imagine 99% of people buying one would use so Google are monetising this data while getting people to fork out at a premium price point.

I might have been tempted if they maintained the Nexus line.

I've no problem using their services myself, but don't agree with the pricing for that reason.

youngblood wrote: »
    Try the Pixel and see how android works with the premium iphone feel

Buying the pixel would totally ðefeat my reasoning for moving to Android. If I was spending that sort of money I would be sticking with iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

adox wrote: »
    Buying the pixel would totally ðefeat my reasoning for moving to Android. If I was spending that sort of money I would be sticking with iOS.

Grab the one plus three T you won't be disappointed. Longer battery dual SIM more intuitive user experience one button doesn't cut it for navigation these days . And you can use a vast array of apps to stream your device seemlessly to TVs .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I went through something similar almost two years ago.

I wanted the Apple watch, for no reason other than I am a gadget enthusiast and I like toys. But of course if I bought the watch, I would have to buy a new iPhone too. I could well afford both, I was on good money, but I simply couldn't justify the price of both.

So I went with Android and a Motorola watch and haven't looked back. I use the type of apps that are available on both platforms, so switching wasn't really an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Yeah I think people think Android is some flakey OS due to seeing it a few years ago or experiencing it on a poor device.

I've noticed a lot of my friends/work colleagues moving to Android, specifically the One Plus range (never used one myself). I guess the 'bang for buck' got them all interested, but the obvious quality of the OS and device has kept them buying them and recommending them to others. A couple of the lads who were so adamant that they'd never go Android are now rocking Android phones - I do have a chuckle at that when we meet.

I work in software development so move a lot between iOS / Android / Windows / Mac / Linux. (love them all!) Let's face it, the software and hardware we have access to these days is just fantastic. It's all becoming so reliable. Although I do think Apple prices are a bit ridiculous across their entire range now, so I can see why people are looking around, personally I like to keep one of them all. But for some people it's a bit like they are defending their chosen sports team :)

Also the OS often becomes redundant for a lot of people as they are just jumping between Facebook / Twitter / WhatsApp / Camera.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

I always had iPhone s and an iPad and a mac book from day one and was a true convert .

My iPad and mac book are still ticking away . My iPhone died a brutal death after 3 plus years of torrid abuse . The software never let me down . Never had an issues like that at all. I know the software is fairly restrictive and all that but I find it works and that suits me fine . I like to keep my gadgets until they die as they are too bloody expensive to be changing every year.

Begrudgingly I converted over to a HTC m9 and I'm regretting it . From day one the phone always ran hot until finally the last straw was the smell of burning from it when I went to charge it . The latest now is the software gets corrupted and everything stops working and I have to do a system delete and reboot and reload all my apps and start again . That's happening fairly regularly now . Now that said I like the camera and some of the stuff on the HTC but at the time my iPhone 4 was old technology but reliability is an issue for me with the HTC

I'll stick with this pile of junk until it dies and I'll go back to apple . Hopefully the next generation of apple phones will be less restrictive but I'll be going back to apple none the less .

Advertisement