Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally switching to Android

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Are you sure you just don't own a defective phone? I'm a longtime Android owner who works my phones hard. I've never ever experienced what you've just described.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah I think people think Android is some flakey OS due to seeing it a few years ago or experiencing it on a poor device.

I've noticed a lot of my friends/work colleagues moving to Android, specifically the One Plus range (never used one myself). I guess the 'bang for buck' got them all interested, but the obvious quality of the OS and device has kept them buying them and recommending them to others. A couple of the lads who were so adamant that they'd never go Android are now rocking Android phones - I do have a chuckle at that when we meet.
    This. I had iPhones in the beginning but switched to Android a few years ago and have never looked back. It's far superior in the choice and control it gives you. However, past versions were very buggy - but the latest versions are much more solid and feature filled.

I have a OnePlus 3 - its a brilliant phone. Just as good as any of the flagships, and better in many ways - all for €399 sim free. It has loads of great features but the best is the fast charging. It's incredible - especially when travelling etc - 15 mins give you about 30% to 40% and 30 mins give you enough for the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

Are you sure you just don't own a defective phone? I'm a longtime Android owner who works my phones hard. I've never ever experienced what you've just described.

This.

I'm using a Galaxy note 4 , for must be two years now. It's actually annoyingly reliable and still up to the task, as I just want to buy a new phone!

Posted from an Android phone, with no hiccups in doing so, and some files downloading to my filesystem in the background :) it's basically a computer in my pocket!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had 2 HTC's and they were pretty buggy. Barely a single problem with the OnePlus..

I still don't get the seamless thing though. I can understand why you'd not like that you can see the cogs of the machine working, so to speak. But the seamless thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mr.S wrote: »
    Longtime iOS user / Apple User but I usually pick up an Android phone between iPhone cycles if its a really good phone. (that sounds crazy but its not really expensive as your always selling on near-new devices).

S7 Edge was my last Android phone and it was perfect in terms of specs and design (better then the 6S) but Android always drives me nuts and then back to Apple.

I lovebeing able to do pretty much whatever you want with it, Android being open is one of the best things about it, but its also (for me) the downfall. There's way to much going on and IMO even though iOS is simpler, it feels far more seamless and cleaner.

If the iOS file system was a bit more open, I think it would be perfect.

I find a lot of apps run better on iOS as well when you compare them to the Android version.

Second hand is the way to go if you can't afford the full whack. You could pick up a perfect condition 6S for just under 500.

Thanks for that. As explained it's not that I can't afford it. I just don't think the iPhone is worth the price anymore. Also for the €500 you suggest for a second hand 6s I can get a brand new oneplus3t with 128GB of storage, is probably a better phone than the 6s and with change to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

For a lot of people (like me) I have no interest in customising the phone and putting on different ROM's and what not. I just want the phone as it is. I have been using android phones (the Galaxy S range for years) and have contemplated on whether to change to Apple.

The price for a billpay phone puts me off switching over though!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Most certainly a defective phone when over heating. it was like that from day one when the issue of the burning smell I just brought it back to the shop and it was fixed and never heated up from then on in .... Having looked up many forums on the phone going funny it's seemingly down to an app. I'm just not an Android person . I even hate the predictive txt on this .....

I don't know anyone who bothered sticking custom ROMs on their phones. I assume they're like the iPhone folk who jailbreak their devices. As for customising your phone, again that's something that is optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Nobody has mentioned the 5se.
    It is a 6s with a 4 inch screen, ideal for those who like to carry a phone around and not a tv screen.

At 559 for the 64gb, it's affordable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

I was with Android since the good old days of the HTC Hero (great little phone). Last March (2016) I made the jump over to iOS and got myself a 64Gb iPhone SE. It is a great phone, basically a 6s in a 5s body. It's my binary phone ;)

Now sure if I could go back to Android now to be honest. I already had a Mac Book Pro so wasn't totally unfamiliar with Apple. Also, I am with Three so I was able to cancel my contract recently (8 months into a 24 month contract) due to their price increases. Got the phone unlocked and currently on a 30-day rolling contract until I decide who I'm jumping ship too. Happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Oxter wrote: »
    Nobody has mentioned the 5se.
    It is a 6s with a 4 inch screen, ideal for those who like to carry a phone around and not a tv screen.

At 559 for the 64gb, it's affordable.

That's because it doesn't exist, it's an iPhone SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I agree with the OP that it's becoming increasingly difficult to justify spending money with most things Apple sell at the moment.

I think some people can easily switch where as others would find it maddening, it would also depend on the person and their own personal tastes too.

I'd personally find it really difficult to switch to Android, I just prefer iOS and there's a lot of small things I'd miss, stuff like the great App Store which generally gets exclusives or at least first release of the apps. The software update situation is so much better on iOS, great customer support, some of the Apple services (e.g. Music), the design of iOS, the stock out of the box iOS experience (no bloatware) and that's just a few examples.

I know to some those things won't matter but it's stuff like that that keeps me with Apple, including the ecosystem lock in with apps I've bought and better compatibility with other Apple devices.

I have the 7 and I was able to justify buying it to myself by realising the phone you have is probably one of the most used things you own. I'm a heavy user and I always want the best and newest of everything, so I paid the premium but I agree 100 percent that the justifications are getting extremely difficult to come up with after every release and subsequent price hike from Apple.

Just an update. I have a midnight black Oneplus 3T on the way. Should have it next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'm thinking the same, i have a 7 128gb and looking at the S8. The hardware is in a different leaque and makes the iphone dated. The iPhone is a good phone but should not be in the same price range as the amoled phones. Apple seem not bothered to upgrade their equipment thinking the idiots like me will always buy one because it has an apple logo. I have had an iphone every year since 2008 and that day is coming to an end. My girlfriend has a S7 edge and when i had it in my hand it made me realise what a nice phone should be. It seems the Samsung phones always get better reviews over iphones the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same, i have a 7 128gb and looking at the S8. The hardware is in a different leaque and makes the iphone dated. The iPhone is a good phone but should not be in the same price range as the amoled phones. Apple seem not bothered to upgrade their equipment thinking the idiots like me will always buy one because it has an apple logo. I have had an iphone every year since 2008 and that day is coming to an end. My girlfriend has a S7 edge and when i had it in my hand it made me realise what a nice phone should be. It seems the Samsung phones always get better reviews over iphones the last couple of years.

The S8 hardware is getting a good review but the same can't be said for the software. Every review I've read so far disses the fingerprint reader, the iris scanner and the software integration. Samsung are notorious for just throwing gimmicks into their phones half assed, indeed most of their electronics are like this. At least when Apple implement some new hardware they do it properly. ie touch id etc.

Seeing as this thread is still alive, I just thought Id let you know that the switch to Android was fairly seemless. Took very little learning and Im delighted with the phone I got.

I never had an issue with the quality of the iphones as per previous poster. I just that they had become over priced.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

adox wrote: »
    I never had an issue with the quality of the iphones as per previous poster. I just that they had become over priced.

Had become overpriced?

They have been over priced since they came out 10 years ago.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Had become overpriced?

They have been over priced since they came out 10 years ago.

Sorry, should have clarified, and made the point in my OP I think, they became way over priced for me, to the point I wasnt prepared the premium for it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any flagship phone from the likes of Apple/Samsung is over priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Blazer wrote: »
    The S8 hardware is getting a good review but the same can't be said for the software. Every review I've read so far disses the fingerprint reader, the iris scanner and the software integration. Samsung are notorious for just throwing gimmicks into their phones half assed, indeed most of their electronics are like this. At least when Apple implement some new hardware they do it properly. ie touch id etc.

And the Bixby button. F*ck off Samsung.

godtabh wrote: »
    Any flagship phone from the likes of Apple/Samsung is over priced.

That may well be but my choice was to pay the price for a new Apple phone or if I wasnt prepared to, switch to Android which I did.

I have a phone that cost less than half the price that certainly doesnt behave or feel like it so Im very happy with my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Sorry, should have clarified, and made the point in my OP I think, they became way over priced for me, to the point I wasnt prepared the premium for it.

I agree. They were always expensive but now that other manufacturers have upped their game they are way overpriced. I've got a 6 plus and was due an upgrade, which I'd normally take advantage of but I've ditched my plan and gone for Virgin's €25 SIM only. The 6 Plus is grand for now but when the time comes I think I'll switch to an Android. I'm a heavy Mac user so I'll miss iCloud syncing but over time I guess I'll move to the likes of Evernote and Google calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I find it strange that people compare a phone hardware (iPhone) to an a phone's OS (android).

Not comparing the right things.

Also, why compare the 7 to the Samsung Galaxy 8 when the iPhone is a generation behind.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I find it strange that people compare a phone hardware (iPhone) to an a phone's OS (android).

Not comparing the right things.

Also, why compare the 7 to the Samsung Galaxy 8 when the iPhone is a generation behind.

Because when discussing iPhone you are discussing IOS(in a phone).
    The most obvious option to change to is an phone running Android.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

Because when discussing iPhone you are discussing IOS(in a phone).
    The most obvious option to change to is an phone running Android.

Also the reason why people compare the S8 and the iPhone 7 is because they're the latest offerings from both companies (who are probably the two top hardware manufacturers in the business).

Mystery solved.

Advertisement