Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finally switching to Android

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Too early yet to tell but i wouldn't be holding my breath that the iphone hardware will come close to Samsung, going by their previous history, sure they're also bringing out a 7s FFS, Apple needs to get over these small upgrade S's.

Been itching for a Samsung since they've upped their phones quality and hardware so i have decided i'm going to buy a S8 and try it. I'm going to keep the iPhone 7 for now and not sell it and see what happens when the iPhone 8 comes out. If it's good i'll sell the 7 and the S8 and if it's not i'll hold the S8 and sell the iphone 7 :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I had a go of the S8 and boy is that screen amazing compared to the iP7.

This year Apple knows how high the bar is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    I had a go of the S8 and boy is that screen amazing compared to the iP7.

This year Apple knows how high the bar is.

Well the iPhone 8 will have a Samsung screen so it will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

I say go for it! I switched from the iPhone 5 to android a couple of years ago and I really haven't looked back. I don't buy into the argument that things "just work" on iOS and that Android is only for those who want to customise everything.

I am far from being a tech nerd but as far as I see it, there is nothing I can do on iOS that doesn't work equally well in Android. Like anything, there is an adjustment process as you get used to the quirks of a different system but once you do it is seamless. Every time I pick up an iPhone now I find myself cursing the lack of a dedicated back button!

There is also such a huge choice of devices now that are well priced. As others have mentioned, there really is not much to separate a 300 euro phone from a 700 euro device. Sure, you will have faster processing speeds and camera but for the vast majority of peoples needs there will be little difference.

**edit. Just saw you made the switch. Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭rounders

adox wrote: »
    Thanks for that and it is food for thought but I won't be spending the money Apple are asking on a new phone. I just won't give them that amount of money as a matter of principle. IOS being more convenient for me isn't worth me spending twice the money on a new phone. I'm sure I will adapt to Android.

A new iPhone isn't a choice for me.

Went through the exact same issue a few weeks back when my Iphone 6 started to slow down. Was always a iPhone person but like you couldn't justify the cost of a new iPhone 7 so got a One Plus 3T instead. Was surprised how quick I got used to it and paired with Chrome cast you can't beat it!

EDIT: Congrats on joining the OnePlus Club, you'll have to join the other thrend on here instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Too early yet to tell but i wouldn't be holding my breath that the iphone hardware will come close to Samsung, going by their previous history, sure they're also bringing out a 7s FFS, Apple needs to get over these small upgrade S's.

Been itching for a Samsung since they've upped their phones quality and hardware so i have decided i'm going to buy a S8 and try it. I'm going to keep the iPhone 7 for now and not sell it and see what happens when the iPhone 8 comes out. If it's good i'll sell the 7 and the S8 and if it's not i'll hold the S8 and sell the iphone 7 :o

Played with the S8 plus yesterday and it's a stunning piece of hardware that's marred by an awful placement for the fingerprint reader. Also, that irritating Bixby button. Still, it makes my 7plus look seriously outdated.

I'm not impressed by what I'm seeing of the iPhone8 from the likes of Macrumors etc. I'm guessing having an actual screen lit up will bring the design to life, but so far it looks "grand".

The rumours of the 6/7 design continuing as the standard model 7s give me the fear. If indeed the 8 comes out as a super expensive iPhone edition at a new higher price tier I wonder what that'll do to the brand overall. The price point is already high enough. I don't think supply constraints or manufacturing issues will cut it as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Micky 32 wrote: »

You guys realise that the iPhones benchmarks blow Samsung out of the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ughhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yep well aware of that and it's one of the reasons why i have stayed with iphone as long as i have...but........ horsepower is pub talk :P

However, when playing with a friends S7 edge i really can't tell the difference in speed between the 2 both are as snappy as each other in day to day use.

Advertisement