Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiker missing in the Maamturks

Options
  • 18-03-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭

Just heard word there's a Dublin hiker missing in the Maamturks since last night. He was apparently training for the Maamturks

Rescue operation launched for hillwalker from Dublin who went missing overnight
    http://jrnl.ie/3294352

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Body found. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RIP

Apparently he was found on the eastern slopes of Leenane Hill, so was practically home. The organisers of the challenge have been trying to get people to take the alternative route down along the river and along the Western Way for years now, maybe this will encourage people to take their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I've holidayed in that region most of my life and although I've rarely walked there I do know just how harsh and wild it can get. Just goes to show that we all need to respect Mother Nature and what she can throw at us, both for a Sunday walker or the most experienced outdoors mountaineer. It may be of little comfort but at least he died doing something that he loved.

May he rest in peace.

Advertisement