Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you reverse a transaction on a Debit card?

Options
  • 18-03-2017 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

I bought something from a US online retailer in December - it arrived eventually in February and at the point of order, my card was charged but I received nothing whatsoever by email - I had to email them about the order and their support was terrible, did not reply to several emails and another time replied with a false tracking number.

However the real issue is that what arrived is not what was ordered. Without naming the website or item, it was an item marketed as a high end replica lightsaber on sale from $120 to $50.

What actually arrived after several months was a childs toy 'laser sword' you would get for €2 in any Euro2 store.

They have of course ignored all correspondence. I've seen learned that this operate scams like this all the time. They were actually advertising on Facebook, that's where I saw the item and decided to order.

Is there anything to be done? What stops companies getting away with crap like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its called a chargeback, same as a CC.

This is the form for BOI for example, not sure of the time limitation:
    https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/fs/doc/wysiwyg/4-1015r-visa-debit-transaction-dispute-form.pdf

The procedure is set by MC/Visa so should be similar around all banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Aib told me recently that the time limit set by visa is 60 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

guil wrote: »
    Aib told me recently that the time limit set by visa is 60 days.

Quoted from the AIB Chargeback Manual,

"A chargeback can be received up to 120 days after the card transaction was taken. In the case of goods or services being delivered, a chargeback can
    be raised up to 120 days from agreed date of delivery.
    "

And Mastercard rules "120 calendar days after the delivery date of the merchandise or services"

Advertisement