Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy IP44/64 junction box?

Options
  • 18-03-2017 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Thread title should read "wiring box", not "writing"...

So I'm installing some LED lighting with PIR at home and I'm looking for an appropriate junction box to write the light to existing cable.

I've seen this one on screwfix but it's only IP20 so not suitable for outdoor use.

Any idea where i can get one of these for outdoor use on a Sunday?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

You won't get a junction box like that - you would need an adaptable box with connectors in it and appropriate glands. To be honest it would suggest to me that you likely haven't the competence to do this work correctly and safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Risteard81 wrote: »
    You won't get a junction box like that - you would need an adaptable box with connectors in it and appropriate glands. To be honest it would suggest to me that you likely haven't the competence to do this work correctly and safely.

Your right! You need a junction box with 16 or 20mm glands depending on cable size! Your last comment is a tad bit harsh though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Ha ha fair comment based on what i posted. I should have said, "something like" the product on screwfix. What i really meant was I'm looking for something neat and unobtrusive. Most of the relevant junction boxes I've seen are massive bulky things about 120mm square and 40ish mm deep. I only need something small that will fit the cables in snugly on each end so they can meet in the middle and be wired up.

I've already rewired one of the lights I've bought into an existing small junction box that was already on one of the lights I've replaced and it's working perfectly. No idea where that junction box came from as the lights were already installed when i bought the house.

So if you can recommend something relatively small and unobtrusive that would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Ha ha fair comment based on what i posted. I should have said, "something like" the product on screwfix. What i really meant was I'm looking for something neat and unobtrusive. Most of the relevant junction boxes I've seen are massive bulky things about 120mm square and 40ish mm deep. I only need something small that will fit the cables in snugly on each end so they can meet in the middle and be wired up.

I've already rewired one of the lights I've bought into an existing small junction box that was already on one of the lights I've replaced and it's working perfectly. No idea where that junction box came from as the lights were already installed when i bought the house.

So if you can recommend something relatively small and unobtrusive that would be appreciated.

OBO boxes are widely used on outdoor lights, there is a small one called a Junior OBO or JOBO, they're IP rated and available at most electrical wholesalers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hoagy wrote: »
    OBO boxes are widely used on outdoor lights, there is a small one called a Junior OBO or JOBO, they're IP rated and available at most electrical wholesalers.

Thanks Just got some where i was informed they are also called coffin boxes...

Still very deep boxes, grey in colour and not as pleasing to the eye as i would have liked :(

Strangely enough they only came with love and neutral connectors so had to get a new connector with an earth port too. Now i need to worry about where I'm going to hide these unsightly yokes! At least i have them now.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Was about to suggest you ask for coffin boxes in a wholesaler.

Wait till you try and wire them, then you'll appreciate why the bigger ones exist. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Wiska make the best "obo or plexer box" imo.

You can get a brass plate with fly lead also for inside, perfect for swa no need for messy banjos inside I then fill with silcone or gel/resin.

Have a look at the "teetube IP68" never used maybe it's what you like.

Hensel are good to.

Advertisement