Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nv permission

Options
  • 18-03-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Out of interest has anyone here ticked the other sights box in the firearms application paperwork to be granted permission to use night vision??
    Thinking of buying a night vision optic for fox control and want to legally own and operate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

tikkamark wrote: »
    Out of interest has anyone here ticked the other sights box in the firearms application paperwork to be granted permission to use night vision??
    Thinking of buying a night vision optic for fox control and want to legally own and operate it.

afaik ticking that box does not entitle you to use nv,permission is needed from your super,but im open to correction,also ive heard some lads have permission.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Ticking the box for Sights is the way to apply for NV or any other light emitting scope. Much like ticking the box Silencer is for a suppressor.

A friend of mine done it a few years back. Bought some big fancy gen 3 (i think) scope from the UK. The scope cost more (twice) than the rifle, but i've never seen his license so have no clue as to what, if any, indication is on his license. A suppressor is shown as an "S", but i don't know if they have something else for the NV stuff.

Annoying thing is even if you attach something to your existing scope you have to tick that box as once any item it attached to a firearm to make it NV it's classed as NV.

You thinking of a scope or an add on set up?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

It's a dedicated scope I was looking for alright,Just wondering was there much hassle to it?
    I'd say thousands of lads that bought nite site's don't realise they do need permission to use them

I'd imagine its much like a suppressor. Some get it by simply ticking the box, others with a letter of reasons, and some get refused. You can tick the box, and see, but as said above i don't know if there should be something on the license to indicate authorisation. IOW because you tick the box doesn't mean its automatically granted. I've seen lads think this about suppressors even though there is no "S" on the license. In their own words "i ticked the box so i got it".

As for other lads with NV, most i've spoken either don't know or believe because it's an attachment and not the actual scope they don't need the authorisation.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or you could be cheeky and simply buy a head mounted monocular and a holosight that is NV compatible and carry on.As there is absolutely NO mention of such a combo in the act and it doesn't violate it either in the sense it is not mounted on the weapon per se.The sight is,the part that illuminates it isnt.
    This is how some German hunters are getting around the NV ban for hunting wild boar,and they are much more specific on what is a legal NV or not.IOW anything that is dedicated as NV or any attachments front or rear of a day scope.
    Only thing is about NV is this.It can give you a sense of over confidence.You can only see as far as the NV is seeing which unless you have about a three K plus worth plus of sight isnt going to be too far. Maybe top 100 meters in ideal conditions unless you are boosting it with a IR searchlight .Your bullet can go alot further than that in the dark.IOW you had better be double damn sure of your shot placement and backstop and what is out there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Sure feck it il ring the firearms officer and see what the story is if it's too much hassle I won't bother with itðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Interesting that it is not on the FCR though, only the moderator is asked about.

Ringing an FO or any other Garda will probably get you a load of bull-ology about 'evil light beams' and all that carry on.......

One of the (very many) woopsies in the current firearms legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

What's the FCR?

Pre-populated renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭g00167015

Sorry, as Cass said, the FCR is the pre-populated firearm certificate renewal form which you typically receive a couple or three months before your existing cert expires.

I worked in the UK a bit after college so used NV addons and occasionally dedicated units probably four nights a week between ratting (on a poultry farm and also in slatted sheds) and rabbits etc etc with my air rifle.......as did my nephew, who was 16. That area at least of firearms/hunting legislation over there is a little more common sense approach than the archaeic, ambiguous and in many ways un-necessary rigmarole over here.

At any rate, with the right equipment and IR to suit,you have a FAR FAR better field of view than lamping and therefore a FAR better view of your backdrop or any nearby livestock/poultry/the neighbours cat etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

g00167015 wrote: »
    I say "typically" as my 17hmr renewal form was printed on 17th December last and sent to my district office to be forwarded to me. Only problem is they still had sour grapes from a seperate refusal (my new 204) being roundly defeated in the Court (with scathing remarks by the Judge regarding the behaviour of the Sup't) on the preceeding Wednesday 14th so they thought they would try and act the maggot and withold the form. The folks in the FPU sent me another one direct and weren't impressed by the excuses they received from my district office :-D

I don't want to rain on your conspiracy theory but as I'm aware all FCR renewal forms along with your licence letter for payment and the yellow licence card are printed in dublin and forwarded directly to your address. The local guards have no part in this. They are not forwarded to your local station for them to forward it to you.

The letter you get sent telling you that your application is been processed and you'll be notified in 90 days comes from your district station.

Advertisement