Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord rules not advertised

Options
  • 19-03-2017 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Can a landlord impose rules a few days after you start renting - and these are really weird and frightening rules.

I'm just a few days in the country and do not know whom to approach and where to go to.

Thank you for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭promises

I'm not sure what the actual law is regarding it, I'd assume all rules should be stated on the signed contract but there is an organisation which governs rental property called Prtb. Contact them and they will help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Are you a licensee or a tennant? Tenants should have rules in the contract. Licensees can be told anytime and rules can be changed ato a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

promises wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the actual law is regarding it, I'd assume all rules should be stated on the signed contract but there is an organisation which governs rental property called Prtb. Contact them and they will help you out.

Thank you for writing back.
    There is no contract.
    I paid cash upfront for a month.
    I'm terrified.

The rules are like out of a book from an insane profile.

So badly want to share it on here but I am terrified.

Are you a licensee or a tennant? Tenants should have rules in the contract. Licensees can be told anytime and rules can be changed ato a whim.

Hello I guess I'd fall under a licensee category.
    There is no contract.
    No one would imagine that a woman <retired> and her offspring would be so kind and that it would be too good to be true.

It just felt weird.
    I was even told you "must be desperate"
    Just because I said I wanted to move to Dublin to look for work.

The second day the rules unfolded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Can you give an example of one of the rules? Allowing them free access to your bedroom for example would be really odd, but telling you that the immersion (hot water) for the house is on certain times of the day is annoying but not illegal.

• Advertisement

Can you give an example of one of the rules? Allowing them free access to your bedroom for example would be really odd, but telling you that the immersion (hot water) for the house is on certain times of the day is annoying but not illegal.

-the showerhead has to be at a certain angle and I just freaked out and told her Mother because I really believed I would be punished and the entire charade of finding a new place was just exasperating. it got to me. I just couldn't get the angle right and the reason given for this "angle" was so that water wastage would be avoided. in all my life I've never heard of such a thing. water will drip from the shower head after usage no matter what angle.

-then after the shower if there were a few water spots maybe 3 or 4 I was told to take a tissue and wipe up and of course I didn't because that is not normal behavior

-while having breakfast if there are any crumbs I'm terrified so I clean as I go instead of actually having breakfast

-feed just one pet and not the other because the other one eats the first ones food

-watch how you place the pan <which was kept near the sink> because it might cause someone to trip?!

-locked my door for the first time and when the door didn't open I was blamed for "interfering" with the lock mechanism

-the locksmith who saved my life and didn't charge me a dime said that there is no way that lock worked even the first time round

-I was told "why the feck did you want to lock the room" we haven't been burgled in 10 years ! This was by the Mother that too.

When I had enough and told her that using the "f" word was just not on; then the Mother retreated.

-that I was insane to wake up at 6:15am and go out for a walk.

Not used to a confrontation.

And no one would believe that this is a woman and her daughter.

The Mother had, the very next day when I had mentioned that the daughter wanted a certain angle on the shower said that the daughter was "difficult" and her own sibling had left house. She said she lives in the basement to avoid her daughter.

Then again if that was the case, the incident yesterday of being unable to open the door and being "blamed" for "having interfered" just 3-4 days after living here and being new just didn't add up. These accusations were leveled by the Mother.

So this now doesn't add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So this now doesn't add up.

Yes it does. You're living with wierdos who probably don't really want a lodger but need the money.

I know it's difficult when you're somewhere new but go with your gut on finding somewhere to live. Rent a room is tax free income, that's going to attract a lot of reluctant landlords. You have pretty much no rights, they can ask you to leave at anytime. I suggest riding it out for the month and finding somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

GW welcome to Ireland. I'm sorry you've had this experience early on. When I was in Ireland I dealt with student complaints about landlords. You're experience sounds exactly like a landlord in Bray. Unfortunately these complaints are all too common in the Irish rental sector.

Write everything down OP. He seems quite strange.

Yes it does. You're living with wierdos who probably don't really want a lodger but need the money.

I know it's difficult when you're somewhere new but go with your gut on finding somewhere to live. Rent a room is tax free income, that's going to attract a lot of reluctant landlords. You have pretty much no rights, they can ask you to leave at anytime. I suggest riding it out for the month and finding somewhere else.

Thanks for writing in.
    Sometimes when I get out, its still in my mind.
    The daughter is desperate to get on top of me.
    its absolute insanity.

Yes you are right.
    Sometimes I can't breathe because of the sheer insanity.
    There must be cruelty in there somewhere.
    Or else the comments are not adding up.

Its just loopy... pure loopy.

I just keep focusing on why I'm here and think of my husband a great deal.
    And cry lots sometimes.
    Many times actually.

Was so upset yesterday that the locksmith dropped me to the ucd bus stop.

It was awful really.

Not being a confrontational sort doesn't help.

But a day prior I finally told the daughter that if she just ignored me and asked any other tenant what they would think of keeping a shower head at a particular angle, she got red in the face.

Oh and the Mother also said that there was an Italian tenant who stayed in her room all day and never ever came down. The Mother called the Italian girl strange.

Now I totally understand why.

Jaysus... its a high price to pay and be inflicted with absolute madness.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    GW welcome to Ireland. I'm sorry you've had this experience early on. When I was in Ireland I dealt with student complaints about landlords. You're experience sounds exactly like a landlord in Bray. Unfortunately these complaints are all too common in the Irish rental sector.

Yes I am documenting every thing.

Have a receipt as well.

Everything is under lock and key.

Its a Mother and her daughter.

Other than that; the Irish people and I must say absolute strangers are very helpful. There is a bit of madness in every race.
    But the anxiety and panic attacks I've never had.
    Only when I'm without my husband whom I love desperately.
    And terribly.
    And miss horribly.

• Advertisement

Yes I am documenting every thing.

Have a receipt as well.

Everything is under lock and key.

Its a Mother and her daughter.

Other than that; the Irish people and I must say absolute strangers are very helpful. Everyone... there is a bit of madness in every race.
    But the anxiety and panic attacks I've never had.
    Only when I'm without my husband whom I love desperately.
    And terribly.
    And miss horribly.

I know GW. When I was a student I went through something similar. My heart goes out to you.

I know GW. When I was a student I went through something similar. My heart goes out to you.

I'm not a student... but I feel like I am one even though I completed the Masters years ago.. I'm just here without my husband who passed away... so yesterday when I was desperate to go visit him and the room lock wouldn't open I just prayed and prayed desperately.

Finally this very kind locksmith traveled a good distance and opened the door and dropped me to the bus stop because I wanted to make it to his grave.

I've no doubt that the madness she has unfolded on me and the panic attacks will one day return to her.

Just hope that I will find my way with my husband always next to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

steddyeddy wrote:

Not much point in writing things down. You need to just start looking for somewhere else OP. Not all LL'S are like that.

These people are just freaks.

Finally this very kind locksmith traveled a good distance and opened the door and dropped me to the bus stop because I wanted to make it to his grave.

Your husband is buried here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Pure madness. start looking around and get out..

You are a lodger in their home so you have no rights and they can impose any rule they want (no matter how bizarre). Documenting etc in this case is no good as you have no rights to begin with and no one to complain to.

Your best bet is to look for somewhere else you are not going to have any comfort in this place.

pilly wrote: »
    Not much point in writing things down. You need to just start looking for somewhere else OP. Not all LL'S are like that.

These people are just freaks.

Yes true.
    But I honestly believed that LL's have accountability for their actions/inactions.
    I have a receipt for the money paid <1 month>

Yes true.
    But I honestly believed that LL's have accountability for their actions/inactions.
    I have a receipt for the money paid <1 month>

Ignore them. Write everything down. It's a mistake to say you have no rights. If the landlord is infringing your privacy you could make a case for harrassment.

Yes true. But I honestly believed that LL's have accountability for their actions/inactions. I have a receipt for the money paid

I know but you will be there a month before you find somewhere else.

I'm sorry this is happening to you but you are not a tenant renting a whole place and therefore have no rights. Apart of course from human decency but these people aren't decent.

<quote snipped: please don't quote lengthy posts as it makes it difficult for mobile readers>

Sounds like it's bordering on harrassment. Write everything down. Ignore the "no rights" guff. UCD actually keep note of mad landlords like this and advise their students away from them. Would you mind me PM-ing you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sounds like it's bordering on harrassment. Write everything down. Ignore the "no rights" guff. UCD actually keep note of mad landlords like this and advise their students away from them. Would you mind me PM-ing you?

It might be harassment but what do you see as the end game? The OP calling the guards, that would cause the relationship (such as it is) to break down immediately and the LL asking the person to leave. The best the OP could hope for is pro-rata rent and would probably have use the small claims procedure to get that. They might be able to add a couple of nights in a B&B.

I understand your frustration and wanting to help is laudable but I just don't see anyway out of this other than head down and find something else. I'm 100% with you on getting these nutters on a list somewhere though!

<quote snipped: please don't quote lengthy posts as it makes it difficult for mobile readers>

You can PM

It might be harassment ... The OP calling the guards. The best the OP could hope for is pro-rata rent and would probably have use the small claims procedure to get that. I'm 100% with you on getting these nutters on a list somewhere though!

I just typed out an entire message and when I went to submit it - it disappeared. Can someone who monitors the board please find it and post it up for Samuel T. Cogley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I just typed out an entire message and when I went to submit it - it disappeared. Can someone who monitors the board please find it and post it up for Samuel T. Cogley

We don't have magic powers, there's no way to find an unsubmitted post.

Mod

athtrasna wrote: »
    We don't have magic powers, there's no way to find an unsubmitted post.

Mod

I did type it out... why would I state otherwise.
    When I pressed the submit button I got the login page.

A request was made as opposed to having made an inference to magic powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Sounds like your boards loggin had timed out. Happens to me a lot, losing posts. Better to copy next time in case of loosing. Same as if you type an email and it doesn't send or you haven't saved in drafts. It's gone into tin air. Not sure what you expect the mods to do. Maybe retype a shortened version if you still think it's worth the effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

My point was that it's not possible to retrieve it. I never suggested you didn't type it out but the post was not submitted so is not in the ether.

Samuel:
    as promises pointed out there is a ptrb board which I am guessing is the rental committee.
    do they not have powers to ensure that a)LLs must register with them b)their contracts too are registered c)that LLs are responsible for providing contracts

is a receipt of funds not proof that there is a monthly contract?

how can the Mother here take the money and then decide that if the Gardaí turned up, I would have to leave?

some further instances that come to mind
    - the tub if not placed in the upper hand corner of the sink is moved there if "in error" it is placed in the lower hand
    - the cloth used for wiping the top if squeezed and kept is unfolded and placed exactly in to sit near the sink
    - the kettle must have sufficient water to make a cup of tea as anything extra is "wastage"

The fact that the Mother has herself admitted when I tried to see the positive side of this daughter, that the daughter has been difficult aged 3!

I thought that she must have been bullied to have these psychotic traits of finding ways to level in harassment.

Any attempts to have any conversation are 110% of the times one sided and an opportunistic means to add in some more "rules"

Despite being educated in boarding schools at home and abroad, we never had such madness unfold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

OP, you have not understood what people are telling you:

The law says that you are a LICENCEE when you live in the owner's home , that is a type of guest. You are not a TENANT.
    Being a paying guest does not give you any property rights and you are just the guest of the owner who can ask you to leave anytime.
    I know that seems unfair if your host is not being nice, but perhaps this is an opportunity to become assertive and look out for yourself for the few weeks left, and meantime find a different place to go to.

You have my sympathies but the host is in control here, so you must arrange to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

some further instances that come to mind
    - the tub if not placed in the upper hand corner of the sink is moved there if "in error" it is placed in the lower hand
    - the cloth used for wiping the top if squeezed and kept is unfolded and placed exactly in to sit near the sink
    - the kettle must have sufficient water to make a cup of tea as anything extra is "wastage".

The 3rd point is not crazy - it's common sense, and i would be annoyed if an adult lodger did not know that already.

The other two are just how they like stuff done. Their home, their rules.

You do have rights: the same legal rights as any other citizen not to be assaulted or have your stuff stolen. But they arent landlord / lodger specific rights.

Frankly you are not a good fit for their home. Look for somewhere else to live for next month.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement