Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord rules not advertised

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Samuel:
    as promises pointed out there is a ptrb board which I am guessing is the rental committee.
    do they not have powers to ensure that a)LLs must register with them b)their contracts too are registered c)that LLs are responsible for providing contracts

is a receipt of funds not proof that there is a monthly contract?

how can the Mother here take the money and then decide that if the Gardaí turned up, I would have to leave?

some further instances that come to mind
    - the tub if not placed in the upper hand corner of the sink is moved there if "in error" it is placed in the lower hand
    - the cloth used for wiping the top if squeezed and kept is unfolded and placed exactly in to sit near the sink
    - the kettle must have sufficient water to make a cup of tea as anything extra is "wastage"

The fact that the Mother has herself admitted when I tried to see the positive side of this daughter, that the daughter has been difficult aged 3!

I thought that she must have been bullied to have these psychotic traits of finding ways to level in harassment.

Any attempts to have any conversation are 110% of the times one sided and an opportunistic means to add in some more "rules"

Despite being educated in boarding schools at home and abroad, we never had such madness unfold.

RTB has nothing whatsoever to do with your situation. I think this is where you're getting confused. I don't know if you're deliberately ignoring posts though or not understanding them.

What makes you think RTB has anything to do with your situation?

It's the Residental Tenancies Board, you are not a tenant.

As I've said before these people are psychos, spend your time looking for somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

I may be the only one here but you seem to be overreacting a bit.

I don't think those "rules" are bad at all.

Re the shower: My shower leaks onto the floor if not aimed a certain way. Anyone living or staying in my house, I would tell not to put it this way. That's not a rule, its to stop the house from getting water damage!

Re the dogs: I also have two dogs and can understand why the owners want the dogs fed a certain way. Maybe its a necessity that the dogs are fed like this. It is their dog, they are more than entitled to tell you how they should be fed (although, they should surely be feeding their own pets).

Re: the water marks. Yes my dad used to have a squidgy and made us wipe down the shower after we used it to get no watermarks. It can be annoying yes, but makes a house unliveable? I don't think so!

Nothing else in your post was rules! They were comments made to you. Yes you probably shouldn't have to listen to them but they aren't saying you CANT go for a walk at 6 am. So if you aren't happy with the comments, then move. But their "rules" to me do not sound bad at all!!

For you to say there must be cruelty towards the daughter for her to act like that is taking it way to far. There is no reason to call this women insane or mad just because you don't like the way she runs her house.

But as other posters have said, the PRTB or guards will not be able to do anything. You do not have a lease and therefore are not a tenant and they can put whatever rules down they want. I would suggest finding somewhere else to live if you aren't happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Nothing posted seems insane or abusive and may have legitimate reasons for most of them. You're living in a room in someone else's family home. There are quirks to living with anyone.

It seems that most of these things you've listed are really trivial to accommodate but you have decided they are insane and abusive and are refusing to do so. You're even suggesting involving the Gardai!. It sounds like you're having a hard time with your bereavement and maybe you should focus on talking to a Councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It doesn't sound like you're in any danger so if you're able to manage it, stay there for the month, get your deposit back and move out. If not, you may have to forfeit any paid rent but should be entitled to any deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I just typed out an entire message and when I went to submit it - it disappeared. Can someone who monitors the board please find it and post it up for Samuel T. Cogley

People just normally use very short sentences with me :pac:

The RTB don't deal with situations where you're in the home of the LL (with the LL).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 greenwicklow

Manion wrote: »
    Nothing posted seems insane or abusive and may have legitimate reasons for most of them. You're living in a room in someone else's family home. There are quirks to living with anyone.

It seems that most of these things you've listed are really trivial to accommodate but you have decided they are insane and abusive and are refusing to do so. You're even suggesting involving the Gardai!. It sounds like you're having a hard time with your bereavement and maybe you should focus on talking to a Councillor.

After having received advice from several "Irish" people they have stated that this behavior is not "normal".
    Basically I did not sign up to live with placing things in any one particular angle or be told when to wake up on weekends and that too after 10pm.
    And that it was insane to lock my own room.

A lady also commented saying "the cat has what the kittens got".

So if you have taken on the mantle to further support the abuse please feel free to make any remarks you please.

It is however deplorable to use the bereavement and take a jibe.
    That comment in itself shows who needs help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

OP the landlady and her daughter sound a bit OCD. I even wondered if the daughter might have a form of high-functioning autism. That would explain the obsession with routine but not the unpleasantness. By the sounds of it the mother has her hands full and is probably taking in lodgers to help keep ends meet.

I am sorry to hear about your bereavement but the house you are living in sounds like you have to be very strong to deal with the rules. If you're feeling a bit vulnerable it's not the place for you.

If you're a licencee in Ireland you have next to no rights. The PRTB does not get involved with licencees. It's basically "their house, their rules" and you can be thrown out at any time.

Unfortunately all you can do is grin and bear it until you find somewhere else. I would advise you to find somewhere else as soon as possible.

As regards the pet feeding rule they're spot on. I have two cats and I can't feed them both at the same time because one gobbles up the food really quickly and butts the other away while he's eating. So I feed the quiet cat first, then let the greedy cat out and feed him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Emme wrote: »
    OP the landlady and her daughter sound a bit OCD. I even wondered if the daughter might have a form of high-functioning autism. That would explain the obsession with routine but not the unpleasantness. By the sounds of it the mother has her hands full and is probably taking in lodgers to help keep ends meet.

I am sorry to hear about your bereavement but the house you are living in sounds like you have to be very strong to deal with the rules. If you're feeling a bit vulnerable it's not the place for you.

If you're a licencee in Ireland you have next to no rights. The PRTB does not get involved with licencees. It's basically "their house, their rules" and you can be thrown out at any time.

Unfortunately all you can do is grin and bear it until you find somewhere else. I would advise you to find somewhere else as soon as possible.

As regards the pet feeding rule they're spot on. I have two cats and I can't feed them both at the same time because one gobbles up the food really quickly and butts the other away while he's eating. So I feed the quiet cat first, then let the greedy cat out and feed him.

I don't get why people are backing them up on the pet feeding rule!!

It's not a lodgers job to feed the pets so why should she worry about who gets fed first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: I think the OP has been given plenty of advice. The OP is clearly a licensee and not a tenant, and so has limited rights. So the choice is simple - accept the rules and live there, or else find somewhere else to live. The RTB will not be able to help.

Unless there is something else ..... thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement