Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheaper Bank Guarantees

Options
  • 19-03-2017 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if there any other options out there than your regular bank for bank guarantees?

Currently paying 2% with AIB for 5 guarantees, from €500 to €30,000. Supplier dictates that a guarantee is required so just wondering is there any other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Jonny303 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if there any other options out there than your regular bank for bank guarantees?

Currently paying 2% with AIB for 5 guarantees, from €500 to €30,000. Supplier dictates that a guarantee is required so just wondering is there any other options?

I'm going from memory here but as far as I remember the differences between the banks is huge

I obtained some BGs in 2013 for a new business and went to all the banks etc. BOI were 3%, AIB were 2%, Ulster Bank were 1% !

Furthermore the security required by each was vastly different, the total of the BGs was €120k with an extra €10k CC provision. BOI wanted €110k (despite the fact that I have another very successful business with them for 15 years), AIB couldn't decide what they wanted so we cut them loose, UB did the whole thing for €60k security which was very low.

I personally have found AIB to be very amateur in any dealings with them, as a result have never gone into business with them for anything.

UB I like as they are quite removed and you get a lot more leeway than BOI who are afraid of their own shadows.

As an aside with the smaller guarantees I normally give the supplier a cheque rather than a guarantee. I realise it affects your cash flow initially but it keeps you lighter on your feet documentation wise (which helps if your going for an OD or loan at a later date) and your not paying constant rolling fees.

Finally, don't be afraid to go back to your suppliers once you have proven yourself to be a good payer and tell them you want the BGs reduced. There is no reason you can't get them down by (for example) a third which reduces your exposure a fair bit. Not to mention the fee savings.

Hope that's of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

Thanks for the feedback. Must look around and see. Truth be told the cash is there to cover them, sitting in a current account earning nothing!

Advertisement