Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance Dog in rented house

Options
  • 19-03-2017 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

We are on the list to receive an assistance dog from Irish Guide Dogs - these dogs essentially have the same public access rights as guide dogs used for visually impaired people.
    My question is, can my landlord refuse to allow us to have this dog? The dog will very much be indoors. There is nothing on our lease about pets, and it's a big house in a rural area.
    I'm just wondering if he had grounds to say no given the nature of the dog.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

poconnor16 wrote: »
    We are on the list to receive an assistance dog from Irish Guide Dogs - these dogs essentially have the same public access rights as guide dogs used for visually impaired people.
    My question is, can my landlord refuse to allow us to have this dog? The dog will very much be indoors. There is nothing on our lease about pets, and it's a big house in a rural area.
    I'm just wondering if he had grounds to say no given the nature of the dog.

Only way is to ask; with official documentation from Irish Guide Dogs might help? A medical letter also?

Maybe call Threshold and ask them as this cannot be the first time this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

No it would fall under the Equal Status Act - cannot terminate a tenancy on the basis of a disability

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the lease doesn't say "no pets" then i cannot see the problem.

Just get the dog.

Maybe talk to the landlord first, or maybe not.

No need to go running to any organisation for advice until you actually have a problem. Which you most likely won't have unlesd you want to move elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

Disability or guide dogs aren't defined as pets ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It isn't a pet, it is a working dog.
    I would talk to the landlord and citizens advice.
    I don't allow pets but an assistance dog is completely different different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,418 ✭✭✭✭Victor

dev100 wrote: »
    Disability or guide dogs aren't defined as pets ???

Well, I imagine the lease is also silent on assistance dogs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I can't imagine many LL's would complain about an assistance dog, they are amazingly well trained in comparison to most pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just get the dog.

Maybe talk to the landlord first, or maybe not.

No need to go running to any organisation for advice until you actually have a problem. Which you most likely won't have unlesd you want to move elsewhere.

Have to admit that has been and is my policy. If there is no" no pets" in the lease?

But if the OP is worried, best to get official info, rather than worrying all the time. With disability, these things can niggle. Best to have all bases covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

I will approach my landlord before doing anything, we have a good relationship. I guess I just want to know where I stand without saying anything now. The waiting list is long so.this could be a year down the line - no point rocking the boat a while

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Would you be looking after the dog, or would someone else be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

the_syco wrote:
    Would you be looking after the dog, or would someone else be?

I would be the primary controller of the dog at all times - I will be going on the training courses etc. Assistance dogs are only given to those who can be at home full time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

It will help you greatly, OP, that guide dogs are trained to a very high standard.

Advertisement