Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company Doctor

Options
  • 19-03-2017 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some advice re: company doctor.

Quick overview- I've been off sick since late January with a kidney issue. Have been hospitalised twice, been to my own GP numerous times, been to physio also and even a few sessions of reflexology to try and get back on my feet. Was making ok progress and had intended to return to work next Monday but have had a setback this weekend and back reluctantly on heavy painkillers. My own GP has signed me off until Monday week pending review and I remain under the care of a consultant as well.

The company have set up appointment with company doctor for next week. I have absolutely no problem with this at all but would like to know what exactly his remit is (?)

I have some prior experience with the company doctor as I was also sick last year for a few weeks (with a completely unrelated condition) - he was genuine and concerned for my wellbeing but insisted on carrying out a very lengthy physical examination and also took blood ,mouth swab and urine samples......I went along with it at the time but on reflection I think I shouldn't have given consent for half of what he did.

So, tldr....am I entitled just to give him an oral history of my illness and give consent to contact my GP and consultant if he wishes?? And state clearly that I don't want blood etc taken??

I've had a real sh1tty few weeks so don't want to be prodded and poked any further to be honest.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Hi Mayo_4_Sam,

The company doctor shouldn't really be taking bloods or urine like that unless you consented that the Company GP have the final say in the diagnosis of and length of duration of your absence, and from reading your post, you have extensive consultation and medical opinion from your own GPs therefore its not in dispute as to whats wrong with you. Maybe this meeting next week is oral only and just a meeting to get a feel for how long you will be out for, and what measures if any may need to be taken to accommodate your return. Send an email to clarify the nature of the meeting, adding that you have documented recent medical diagnoses.

His or her role is to protect the company from any insurance claims if your workplace isn't suitable for you or vice versa if you are suffering from illness. I would check your handbook if you have one? Usually medicals are allowed randomly but in your case you have doctors and physios etc so its not in dispute. You don't have to be physically touched or examined therefore and say this to your doctor. If they insist, I would say thanks for your time and walk out and make a complaint to HR. If you have a union also get them to represent you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for that....that's pretty much what I was thinking.

He kind of ambushed me last year to be honest so I want to know where I stand exactly this time around.

I have absolutely nothing to hide and I don't want to come across as being evasive or uncooperative....but I don't want a full physical examination as mentioned.

My current plan is to state clearly that I'm not consenting to an examination; I can take him through a detailed history of my illness and give him access to my GP and consultant records if required.

My job isn't unionised but if there's any deviation from the above I'll be contacting HR on the spot.

Thank again Wanderer for the feedback....much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I can remember a case from a few years back in a company where I worked and an employee attended but refused to cooperate with the company appointed doctor.
    I know there were a number of letters over and back and meetings and the result was the employee did allow themselves be examined in the end, most likely under threat of disciplinary action.

I would definitely be asking why tests and samples were being taken and speak to hr in advance to determine the purpose of the appt with the doctor.

Advertisement