Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange taste and smell from water -Waterford city

Options
  • 19-03-2017 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've seen other posts like this but they are older so apologies for the duplication.
    Since our water meter was installed, our water tastes and smells dreadful. It's undrinkable. Even when boiled. It reeks of chemicals.
    I'm thinking of reporting it to the EPA but I wanted to check if other areas are having this problem first. Thanks!
    Williamstown area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I've seen other posts like this but they are older so apologies for the duplication.
    Since our water meter was installed, our water tastes and smells dreadful. It's undrinkable. Even when boiled. It reeks of chemicals.
    I'm thinking of reporting it to the EPA but I wanted to check if other areas are having this problem first. Thanks!
    Williamstown area.

would contacting irish water first be a better approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wafer thin mint

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Yep it probably would. I've had no dealings with irish water. Are they responsive do you know? I need to do something about it but not sure the correct course of action. Thanks for your reply :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I doubt it has anything to do with the actual business of sticking a metering unit in an existing length of pipe unless of course they botched it and it's only leaking now! :pac:

Is the water discoloured?

I doubt it has anything to do with the actual business of sticking a metering unit in an existing length of pipe unless of course they botched it and it's only leaking now! :pac:

Is the water discoloured?

Sometimes it goes really brown but for the most part it's clear enough (little cloudy at times).
    It tastes and smells really bad. I don't know if it's something directly to do with the meter or if it's a subsequent problem but that's when it started.
    I wanted to see if anyone else has the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

There is a lot of information on this site some of which might be helpful

http://www.epa.ie/water/dw/

• Advertisement

There is a lot of information on this site some of which might be helpful

Thanks for that. I'll give it a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

My water became undrinkable about 6 months ago. Before that it was grand when it was filtered using a Brita filter.

Some pain in the hole buying bottles of water to make tea/coffee.

It goes from cloudy to clear but is stink.

What area of the City are you in, Wafer Thin Mint?

I'm in a house down near The Glen.

Williamstown area.
    What area of the City are you in, Wafer Thin Mint?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

I'm also in the Williamstown area and i agree, water tastes and smells very like chemicals.. I have resorted to buying bottled water the last few weeks

any idea where williamstown water is coming from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭niallo76

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Yep,here in Williamstown area also,water can be grand for weeks on end,then a real chemical/chlorine smell and taste.Even boiled it tastes ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

Mine is the same in the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Revenge courtesy of Irish Water!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Tastes lovely in Kilkenny ....
    Too many lemons in yeres? :P

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

There's a lot of crap put into the water ,before it reaches your tap, could be the cause of the cancer epidemic gripping the city, along with residues from the toxic former crystal factory site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Hoffmans wrote: »
    There's a lot of crap put into the water ,before it reaches your tap, could be the cause of the cancer epidemic gripping the city, along with residues from the toxic former crystal factory site

And your evidence of the link?

Equally likely to be toxic stuff in the 'prestine' untreated well water alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

I'd have no evidence to that claim but what I've witnessed from the 9 houses that are down in Kingsmeadow across the road from it as follows:

Of the 20 people that live there 9 have had cancer in the last 10 years. Is that the average rate? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,402 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Road-Hog wrote: »
    And your evidence of the link?

Equally likely to be toxic stuff in the 'prestine' untreated well water alternative

Wow ...
    No one picked up the spelling error yet .... :eek::D

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

rekdtangle wrote: »
    I'd have no evidence to that claim but what I've witnessed from the 9 houses that are down in Kingsmeadow across the road from it as follows:

Of the 20 people that live there 9 have had cancer in the last 10 years. Is that the average rate? I don't know.
    Average for the population as a whole or average for a particular age cohort?

The relative incidence of cancer rises exponentially with age. Given when the area was developed for housing, I would expect a higher than average incidence of age related conditions purely on demographic grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭rekdtangle

Average for the population as a whole or average for a particular age cohort?

The relative incidence of cancer rises exponentially with age. Given when the area was developed for housing, I would expect a higher than average incidence of age related conditions purely on demographic grounds.

Average age of about 60.

• Advertisement

Average age of about 60.
    Given that "1 in 2 people born after 1960 in the UK will be diagnosed with some form of cancer during their lifetime." ( Reference: http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/risk/lifetime-risk ) Statistics for Ireland should be similar. I don't think 9 out of 20 is anything out of the ordinary. Most of the original residents would be 70+ by now.

Average age of about 60.

Ashe road down towards kingsmeadow serious cancer cluster ,
    No surprise either with arsenic lead and highly cancerous cadmium spewing in the air for decades, how quick they levelled the lot of it

Hoffmans wrote: »
    Ashe road down towards kingsmeadow serious cancer cluster ,
    No surprise either with arsenic lead and highly cancerous cadmium spewing in the air for decades, how quick they levelled the lot of it
    Do you have data to back this up? The figures posted by rekdtangle above don't appear to be out of the ordinary.

Is there any supporting epidemilogical data showing a statistically significant cluster of any one specific type of related cancer?

Do you have data to back this up? The figures posted by rekdtangle above don't appear to be out of the ordinary.

Is there any supporting epidemilogical data showing a statistically significant cluster of any one specific type of related cancer?

A quick door to door visit should answer your question there....

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

greenspurs wrote: »
    Tastes lovely in Kilkenny ....
    Too many lemons in yeres? :P

Might taste lovely but the hardness of it is killing all our appliances :)

Advertisement