Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liability vs driving.

Options
  • 19-03-2017 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen it on nearly every insurance certificate.

Person "INSURED" is the policy holder. That's obvious to me.

But now - f.e. on 123 car insurance cert, is the following:
    4. Persons or classes of persons, whose liability is covered
    - The Insured
    - The Insured's Spouse

6. Drivers, or classes of drivers, whose driving is covered.
    - The Insued
    - The Insured's Spouse
    - Any person in the motor trade driving the vehicle described in I above, with the Insured's consent for purposes necessitated by overhaul, upkeep or repair of the vehicle for the insured. Please note that this does not mean that such person is insured to drive under this policy.

So what is the difference between persons whose liability is covered, and driver whose driving is covered?

I've seen such distinguishing between those two on nearly every insurance cert.

F.e. Aviva:
    Persons, or Classes of Persons, whose liability is covered:
    A The insured
    B Any person whose driving is covered, except a person in the Motor trade driving the vehicle for purposes necessitated by its overhaul, upkeep and/or repair for the Inured.

Drivers, or Classes of Drivers, whose driving is covered:
    A The Insured
    C Any Person in the Motor Trade driving with the Insured's consent the vehicle described in paragraph 5A above the use od which is covered for purposes necessitated by the overhaul, upkeep and/or repair of the vehicle for the Inured.
    E The person(s) names in paragraph 6 above covered
    (list of names drivers here)

This is pretty much same thing as from 123.

So does anyone know what's the difference between persons whose liability is covered, vs driver's whose driving is covered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Liability means the policy will cover the specified persons for any damage or injury they cause (costs including awards, repairs, legal fees etc.)

Driving means just that. The specified persons are authorised to USE the vehicle. In your example, the motor trader is authorised to use the vehicle, but any loss he causes doing so is not covered by your policy. He needs his own trade policy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Liability means the policy will cover the specified persons for any damage or injury they cause (costs including awards, repairs, legal fees etc.)

Driving means just that. The specified persons are authorised to USE the vehicle. In your example, the motor trader is authorised to use the vehicle, but any loss he causes doing so is not covered by your policy. He needs his own trade policy

OK, makes sense.

However I don't really get then what does it mean that "specified person are authorised to USE the vehicle"?

In my example it's the motor trader/mechanic is authorised to use a vehicle, but not covered.

So what exact privilage is this authorisation if it's not related to any cover provided?

Like if I lend my car to a friend, according to the above, he is not on a list of authorised drivers on my policy, so according to it he is not authorised to use it.
    But if he has "driving other cars" on his own policy which will cover him, then why would he need any autorisation from my insurer?

Advertisement