Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hump or no hump?

• 19-03-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

Looking at some of the 2 piece leather suits and leather bike jackets, and I notice some of the leather jackets have back humps on them.

So what does this hump actually do,and how safe or practical would they be for riding on the road or for the likes of Mondello or Kirkstown trackdays?
    I presume that wearing a backpack is not a possibility with a back hump?

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

As far as i know their only function is improved aerodynamics so they will be of no benefit on the road and minimal benefit at a track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have a hump stewy.
    Sometimes it rubs off the back of my helmet when turning my head so if you can check it out while sitting on your bike beforehand.
    Depends on how low your handlebars are and which jacketI suppose.
    Mines an Rst TracTech.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I remember Doctor John saying that they're a pain in the arse because they have to be cut open and the foam removed to lay the rider flat on their back.

I wouldn't personally take the risk of a paramedic not having the experience of cutting one off without causing more unnecessary movement.

That's just me though, personally I'm wary of having anything on my back. I've heard stories of lads landing on a rugby ball and breaking some vertebrae and I read of an american guy who had a water bottle in a backpack and crashed causing significant back injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

CaptainR wrote: »
    I remember Doctor John saying that they're a pain in the arse because they have to be cut open and the foam removed to lay the rider flat on their back.

@ 25:33 on this clip;

My brother worked with Doc John, anyone familiar with the MCI Medical Team at the road races? ~ my brother is the medical coordinator. He's also warned me of the dangers of those humps ~ when professionals like these who are also bikers give me free advice like this I pay heed to it.

When I see a biker commuting with a hump on his leather I just think they look like a bell end and I cringe.

Not a snowballs chance in hell I'd have one, but to each their own.

Back to that clip, I'd say the entire 45 minutes is great viewing.

RIP Doc John Hind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Very sobering thought regarding the hump, a spinal board and paramedics.

Think I will steer clear of the hump jackets for that reason.

Thanks folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They're the equivalent of a middle aged MAMIL cyclist shaving his legs.

Or a fat bloke in a pub wearing a football shirt, I suppose...

Dr John was a great man and a bit of a comedian too.
    RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Humps and backpacks shouldn't be used. They both create an extra lever point for you neck if you come off and there is a chance of them causing you to flip if sliding resulting in potentially more injuries.

A hump improves aerodynamics for use in racing where milli seconds count on the road they aren't necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Looking at some of the 2 piece leather suits and leather bike jackets, and I notice some of the leather jackets have back humps on them.

So what does this hump actually do,and how safe or practical would they be for riding on the road or for the likes of Mondello or Kirkstown trackdays?
    I presume that wearing a backpack is not a possibility with a back hump?

Thanks.:)

Makes you look like a complete knob....dont get the hump..:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

They look ****e, have a look at the rst blade jacket/trousers I've a set and they are the best I've ever had and not mental money either, you can find good deals on ebay
    Gear has come a long way since the old powerline stuff in the 90's - anyone still have some of that gear lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

mamax wrote: »
    They look ****e, have a look at the rst blade jacket/trousers I've a set and they are the best I've ever had and not mental money either, you can find good deals on ebay
    Gear has come a long way since the old powerline stuff in the 90's - anyone still have some of that gear lol

Still have powerline jeans...most comfortable jeans i have...have Dainese ones too..fit like a $2 suit..

Bought a Richa Balastic Evo black n white leather jacket (non hump) in Cotters the other day.

Lovely jacket,good armour and protection in it, and zips up to my Richa leather leggings.
    Cotters were better than any Uk or Euro shop prices,all i did was ask for their best price..

Big thanks to Simon in Cotters.

They have an open day on this weekend 25 and 26 march,lots of deals on clothes,bike gear and tyres.

Thanks to all here for the advice over the hump.

Advertisement