Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wintry spell with Snow and Ice warnings week of 20-3-17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I got better quality pics for the snow bunnies.
    The size of the flakes is ridiculous !
    There's an obligatory impressive car bonnet one, because you'd have to have it.

These are the last ones, promise. For tonight. If I have 3 feets of snow outside tomorrow I might just take another one :)

edit : the pics are not from February, they're from now. We didn't get snow in Feb, or at all this winter for that matter. Not like that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

wesht dublin checking in. nothing to report but miserable rain. best of luck chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Increasing sleet in the precip now 2.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Just woke there, velux is covered full of snow again. Between Youghal and Dungarvan, we are up high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

north Kildare, near Enfield. Some snow mixing in with the moderate rain at times. Temp now down to 2.4c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

Rain now turning to sleet as well in Hollywood village, bang on at 200asl,about a degree away from a massive snow event,a pity

Periscal wrote: »
    Rain now turning to sleet as well in Hollywood village, bang on at 200asl,about a degree away from a massive snow event,a pity

I would be very optimistic that you will get a lot of snow there tonight. The hills and mountains are literally beside the village. You're in as good a spot as you could hope for tonight.

Turning to Wet Snow in Kildare now

I wish but just don't have that feeling tonight, according to Yr.no, EURO4 and GFS the most likely chance would be between now and 6AM, this is more like a wasted synoptics, looking at how close we are to snow and how much would have accumulated over next 24 hours,we had a lot of wrong marginal events this winter,wish we could live at elevations between 500 and 700m, somewhere up the Wicklow Gap, I mean like a proper village rather than an isolated cottage

quote="highdef;102988393"]I would be very optimistic that you will get a lot of snow there tonight. The hills and mountains are literally beside the village. You're in as good a spot as you could hope for tonight.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cashel in Tipp is 0.6c: https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ICOTIPPE2

Surely snowing there as the radar is lively enough across Tipp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I just shook off the massive marginal event from DC to NYC last week now this, similar sort of thermal profiles aloft, so could see roughly similar results, widely varying snowfall-sleet-rain portions depending on how small ripples of energy play out circulating around the Irish Sea low. There's a weak "pseudo-front" showing up aligned NNW-SSE through central counties, west of that mixing may occur faster. This has developed because clear conditions in parts of west Ulster are allowing subzero dew points to enter the western part of the circulation. The harder the mixed precip comes down, the more likely it is to change over because that means it spends less time in the warmest layer which is probably about 5000' up. In the U.S. event, as one example, DCA on the warmer side of Washington DC had 2" snow and considerable sleet, some rain, while IAD on the colder side had 6" snow and mostly sleet otherwise with just small amounts of rain.

This was the event last Monday-Tuesday on the east coast of the U.S., there were also very tight gradients between sleet and snow in the NYC metro area and in Boston into SE Mass and Rhode Island.

This warmer layer aloft may mean that snowfall with elevation rules will be partly verified but only between 150m and 500m, perhaps no increase at highest elevations.

Just think though, if this all came down as snow there would be 20-30 cms.

Interesting to see the differences across inland areas... https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap

Now turning to snow,big flakes about 80% snow,this could have been epic perhaps a month ago,now way too wet,at least no rush hours manic at 7AM, elevation and local topography is so important, was home last week in Slovakia,hometown at 305asl,was 6-7 degree warmer then some villages north of it at 800asl, surrounded by hills from all directions,kind of bath thub shaped valley,local b&b owner said its not uncommon to heat in July for few hours! Cold air firmly trapped in the valley,proper frost hollow every house stashed with firewood outside in sheds, now that is my cup of tea,heh

quote="M.T. Cranium;102988463"]I just shook off the massive marginal event from DC to NYC last week now this, similar sort of thermal profiles aloft, so could see roughly similar results, widely varying snowfall-sleet-rain portions depending on how small ripples of energy play out circulating around the Irish Sea low. There's a weak "pseudo-front" showing up aligned NNW-SSE through central counties, west of that mixing may occur faster. This has developed because clear conditions in parts of west Ulster are allowing subzero dew points to enter the western part of the circulation. The harder the mixed precip comes down, the more likely it is to change over because that means it spends less time in the warmest layer which is probably about 5000' up. In the U.S. event, as one example, DCA on the warmer side of Washington DC had 2" snow and considerable sleet, some rain, while IAD on the colder side had 6" snow and mostly sleet otherwise with just small amounts of rain.

This was the event last Monday-Tuesday on the east coast of the U.S., there were also very tight gradients between sleet and snow in the NYC metro area and in Boston into SE Mass and Rhode Island.

This warmer layer aloft may mean that snowfall with elevation rules will be partly verified but only between 150m and 500m, perhaps no increase at highest elevations.

Just think though, if this all came down as snow there would be 20-30 cms.[/quote]

1.5c and it still hasn't changed over fully yet but it's getting there

Sleet 2.8c / 1.6cDP.

Has made the change now. Lovely snow but still a bit wet 1.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Danno wrote: »
    Sleet 2.8c / 1.6cDP.

I second that Danno...Time for the leaba though:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

7 miles north east of Kilkenny city on the hills, snowing.
    Temperature 1.2C and falling
    Dewpoint 0.6C

Veluxes have a coating now 0.9c

Stick to cars and grass now 0.8c

• Advertisement

Radar seems to show it pepping up across Leinster. 2.5c and 1.3c DP. Colder air starting to dig in. Wind has gone NE.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Veluxes have a coating now 0.9c

Same here, temerature falling fast with the snow.
    0.9C.

Looks like we could be on course for the biggest covering of snow in a while.

North Kildare, near Enfield. Full on moderate snow, bordering on heavy. Dinner plate flakes. Sticking to rooves, cars and grass.... And telephone wires.

Met Eireann spot on with the snow, as for accumulations we will have to see how they did with their predictions.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Met Eireann spot on with the snow, as for accumulations we will have to see how they did with their predictions.

Will agree when it starts to snow proper here and accumulate! :P

Temps still dropping fast, around 0.1c every 5 minutes and dewpoint going the same. Currently 2.2c and 1.0cDP - so not far to go!

Lovely snow now. No wettyness to it

Danno wrote: »
    Will agree when it starts to snow proper here and accumulate! :P

Temps still dropping fast, around 0.1c every 5 minutes and dewpoint going the same. Currently 2.2c and 1.0cDP - so not far to go!

You aren't that far away really in Durrow.
    0.4C with a DP of -0.2C.

Signs of the snow starting to stick to concrete surfaces.

Wet snow here now. 1.7c and 0.5cDP. Probably be sticking in around 20mins giving the rate of precip and associated temp drop.

Went out to see if my cat was around as he was not fed, no sign of him, but the snow is heavy and the yard is white in large sections.

Maybe several inches of snow???

• Advertisement

Was about to head to bed, and heard my cat, so fed him, all surfaces are now covered in snow, the daffodils don't look to be enjoying it.

Advertisement