Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy fruit tree seed ,apples/plums etc

Options
  • 19-03-2017 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys

At the moment i have a good deal of native crab apple trees planted but I would also like to add a good number of more edible apples.

I have been looking online but cannot seem to find fruit tree seeds. I have a tunnel so would be looking to plant them in there for a few years.

Any sources to buy seed online would be great

I would also love any help on the varieties of apple to grow. Ideally I would have a few diff types that would not all ripen at the same time.

Thanks k you for your time

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's not really such a thing as buying a particular variety of fruit tree as a seed - as there's no way of telling what the fruit will be like from the seed.

edible apples are bought grafted onto rootstock - with the grafted on part having come (often via many intermediate grafts) from the original tree. for example, there has only ever been one bramley apple tree grown from seed - the original one, from which the grafts were taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Thanks for the info.

I have been planting random seeds from store bought fruit in the polytunnel so will see what happens. I have Avocados, apples, pears lemons and peach trees which were planted last year and survived the winter.

Advertisement