Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exercise to Improve Posture

• 19-03-2017 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Hi Guy,s

Looking for a quick piece of advice.
    I would have pretty bad posture Rounded shoulders and head tilted forward that kind of thing.
    Want to sort it out as it is causing the neck and shoulders to get very tight and sore resulting in needing deep tissue massage to release the tight muscles.

Would also have some issues with hips and glutes getting tight.

Would anybody have some good exercises to strengthen and stretches to loosen up these areas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Hi Guy,s

I would have pretty bad posture Rounded shoulders and head tilted forward that kind of thing.
    Want to sort it out as it is causing the neck and shoulders to get very tight and sore resulting in needing deep tissue massage to release the tight muscles.

Would also have some issues with hips and glutes getting tight.

Would anybody have some good exercises to strengthen and stretches to loosen up these areas?

Mobility excersises, foam rolling, back excersises. Deadlifts, RDL, face pulls, rev flys have all greatly improved my back and posture.

I found i just had to pull my back muscles down and then shoulders back all day every day until they got stronger. You wouldn't know anymore now i ever had it.
    There's a link here with specific muscles that are weak so you can look up exercises for them then
    http://posturedirect.com/how-to-fix-rounded-shoulders/

For head tilt, chin down and pulled in, and pull the head back, and again do it constantly. Seated machine rows help the muscles in question also

One of my best friends is a physio so I'd to recruit her help on that. Might be worth finding one yourself for a once off session and asking about those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Mobility excersises, foam rolling, back excersises. Deadlifts, RDL, face pulls, rev flys have all greatly improved my back and posture.

Could I ask you what face pulls are?
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I found i just had to pull my back muscles down and then shoulders back all day every day until they got stronger. You wouldn't know anymore now i ever had it.

I do be conscious to do this every time i remember. How long did it take for yours to strengthen up ?

There's a link here with specific muscles that are weak so you can look up exercises for them then
    http://posturedirect.com/how-to-fix-rounded-shoulders/

For head tilt, chin down and pulled in, and pull the head back, and again do it constantly. Seated machine rows help the muscles in question also

One of my best friends is a physio so I'd to recruit her help on that. Might be worth finding one yourself for a once off session and asking about those[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'm no expert to be honest, I can only say what I feel works for me. Google anybof the excersises I told you. You'd be better off getting a Physio to prescribe you excersises and a good personal trainer to show you how to do them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

FYI you might have that backwards. Poor posture isn't causing muscle issue, but the muscles are causing poor posture.

The exercise you should do might depend actually causes. But everything above is a good place to start whether its a back weakness, or a front imbalance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

A lot of the mobility work I do with people is fixing posture. I would highly recommend finding a trainer / program that you can adjust to your needs. The reason is that is is impossible to recommend a specific set of things without knowing what your exact issues might be.

Certain jobs tend to cause certain issues. If your a desk worker you are fighting and uphill battle against bad posture. It can be fixed but expect plenty of constant work on it. For a desk workers its usually (but not always) tight hip flexors and mid backs which tend to be pretty tight and lead to a lot of issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Physio is your best bet. They'll ask you about other outside factors, ie what sports you might play, do you sit at a desk all day, or drive a lot etc.

Ask any physio and they'll tell you that most of the population have poor posture and mostly its work related.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Hi Guy,s

I would have pretty bad posture

Try posturedirect.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dtp1979 wrote: »

This is a good start

You have muscle imbalances that need to be corrected. You are probably strengthening muscle certain muscle groups, most likely the ones that look good in the mirror, but not enough time and effort on the ones that support them like your back and legs and the end result is what you are feeling.

You possibly have anterior pelvic tilt going on aswell which means you really need to focus on your back and legs

Deadlifts, RDL's, Body Squats, Kettlebell Swings, Dumb bell Lunges, Lat Pull Down, Military/Shoulder Press, Dumb bell Shrugs, Dumbbell Rear Delt Row, Glute Raises.

Remember to perfect the form and go through full range of motion with these exercises before adding weight as the technique is important so that you dont hurt your back.

Also, correct your posture when sitting at work/driving. Maintain neutral position with body, arms and legs when sitting for extended periods of time. And go walking more, its very good for posture also.

Advertisement