Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Protection

Options
  • 19-03-2017 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

My question is:-

When an individual from one company makes a phone call to another company asking for information pertaining to their own company, what is the minimum identity verification required from that person before the information is disclosed?

The facts are:-

This person called me while at work and his name was not present on our phone database, only his phone number appeared, he gave his name verbally and asked me a question about a service we are currently providing to his company. The fault in service was on his premises which I was aware of.

My response was this "I'm sorry but I cannot give out this information as I cannot identify the caller, we have an agent on route to be there shortly". He asked the agents name? I again said "sorry I cannot give that information as I cannot identify who's calling, however the agent will seek you out". Thank you goodbye.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

This annoys me. Vodafone often ring me with "offers" . I have to prove who I am . They get mad and complain when I ask them who they are .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Hi,

My question is:-

When an individual from one company makes a phone call to another company asking for information pertaining to their own company, what is the minimum identity verification required from that person before the information is disclosed?

The facts are:-

This person called me while at work and his name was not present on our phone database, only his phone number appeared, he gave his name verbally and asked me a question about a service we are currently providing to his company. The fault in service was on his premises which I was aware of.

My response was this "I'm sorry but I cannot give out this information as I cannot identify the caller, we have an agent on route to be there shortly". He asked the agents name? I again said "sorry I cannot give that information as I cannot identify who's calling, however the agent will seek you out". Thank you goodbye.

Your agent is not part of the clients data. If you are in doubt you can always offer to call back on the company mainline and get in touch that way.

Advertisement