Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decent cheap bike gps

Options
  • 19-03-2017 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decant cheap bike gps/computer that I can load up route maps , I'm planning a few back road trips around the country this year and I just want something that will stop me from getting hopelessly lost .I have never used a gps/computer before so like a blind man in an orgy I'm having to feel my way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

a 2nd hand Garmin 705 would be the cheapest I'd guess.Or a 2nd hand 800.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A cheap android phone will do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

With OsmAnd as your navigation app.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ted1 wrote: »
    A cheap android phone will do the job

Yep, once you can get it mounted, weatherproofed, make sure it has a daylight visible screen and a battery life that will last your planned journey. I've also used an old hiking GPS unit in the past with handlebar mounts, that was fugly and had reasonably poor maps, but excellent battery life, took AA batteries and was fully submersible. Currently on an 810, which is mostly excellent but I find the screen a bit small.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I use an edge 200. Does everything i need it to do.

• Advertisement

I use an edge 200. Does everything i need it to do.

OP is looking for route maps, don't think the 200 will do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I use one of these phone mounts. Has room for a 5.5" phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

smacl wrote: »
    OP is looking for route maps, don't think the 200 will do this.

It won't do route maps but it will display a course and keep you on it. If you leave the course it will alert you and point you back to the course. It won't navigate or display a map but it is adequate. It will also display a virtual partner to pace you if that's your thing.

But if it's maps that the OP wants then the Edge 200 will prove to be too basic in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

crosstownk wrote: »
    It won't do route maps but it will display a course and keep you on it. If you leave the course it will alert you and point you back to the course. It won't navigate or display a map but it is adequate. It will also display a virtual partner to pace you if that's your thing.

But if it's maps that the OP wants then the Edge 200 will prove to be too basic in that regard.

The breadcrumb trail on the smaller edges does a decent job, can be a bit confusing if you come to a fork in the road, but will only waste a few minutes of your time until it tells you you are off course and you figure out you need to go back and take the other fork.

crosstownk wrote: »
    It won't do route maps but it will display a course and keep you on it. If you leave the course it will alert you and point you back to the course. It won't navigate or display a map but it is adequate.

Good to know, have a 200 on my daughters bike and she's good at getting lost (or at least that's her excuse for arriving home a couple of hours late by times)

• Advertisement
Advertisement