Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

G650GS vs V Strom 650 vs Transalp 650?

• 19-03-2017 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have finally decided on the type of bike I want to replace my bandit 600 with.

Overall the V-Strom seems to be the best but most expensive package. However I have just tried out the BMW G650GS (2012 modell) and was surprised by how much fun this single cylinder with only 48 hp is (punchy enough up to 100 kph and extremly smooth).
    The only downside is the low seat which can be replaced with an aftermarket one for around €200.
    Are there any reliability issues with this particular modell which I believe was derived from the F650GS single?

Another contender would be the Transalp 650 which seems to be more similar to the V Strom but a bit cheaper. Are they as reliable as the legendary 600?

Cheers for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

One of the above? As it happens I've mates with one of each.... 650 single eats tyres and chains, 650 v-strom is a lovely piece of kit, transalp is old technology, out of the three I'd pic v-strom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What years, are you tall or short and are you going to do much motorway riding (because the Transalp although a fantastic bike has only five gears).

I've never owned the BMW, but anyone I know who has owned one say they were a good bike. They're also better suited to someone with shorter legs so far as I can remember.

I've the Vstrom now, I have it one year and honestly its been a dream in that time. Exceptionally cheap to run. If you're a big lad they're a physically big bike. I've been all over the country on it and its great for an entire day in the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Thanks guys.
    Im quite tall 6.4 and a bit on the heavy side 115kg.
    It will be mostly used for town commuting, a few sunday spins and a handfull cross country trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What i would do in your position is for what i did.

Join vstrom .Co.uk forum and but a members bike. Have it delivered over by the bike guy from Kilkenny and have a newer bike than what you've posted there for better money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

What he said^^

Ok at your size and weight the only choice is the Vstrom. If you want to sit on one and try it for size PM me your number and we'll hook up.

At your size and weight the Vstrom is going to be like an armchair to you after the Bandit 600.

listermint wrote: »
    What i would do in your position is for what i did.

Join vstrom .Co.uk forum and but a members bike. Have it delivered over by the bike guy from Kilkenny and have a newer bike than what you've posted there for better money.

Thanks listermint.
    Looks like a great source for information.

Btw who is the guy in Kilkenny?

Cheers.

Ok at your size and weight the only choice is the Vstrom. If you want to sit on one and try it for size PM me your number and we'll hook up.

At your size and weight the Vstrom is going to be like an armchair to you after the Bandit 600.

Thanks for the offer Mak! Much appreciated.
    Had recently a quick spin on one and they are certainly much more comfy than the bandit.
    Liked the G650GS as well but it wouldn't be too great for longer journeys (especially on the motorway).

Now I just have to get rid off the bandit or trade it in.
    I d prefer the dealer route as it's less hassle and there is some kind of come back. However there would be better value in selling/buying privately I guess.

Did you buy from a dealer or privately?

Cheers.

MSVforever wrote: »
    Did you buy from a dealer or privately?

Cheers.

Like that I prefer the dealer route too. You lose money on the dealer but at least you don't have to deal with pricks coming out to view your beloved bike, trying to knock money off it by insulting the bike and your intelligence, I just can't be arsed.

One thing I might point out to you about the Vstrom.

I read a lot about riders experiencing buffeting from the fairing and needed to add an extension to the windshield.. Well there is a bit of buffeting, I won't lie.

But the windshield on them is adjustable. If I'm going on a long motorway journey, ie anything over 100km I'd recommend adjusting it to its highest setting, however for me its at its lowest setting 95% of the time and there's really not bother with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Like that I prefer the dealer route too. You lose money on the dealer but at least you don't have to deal with pricks coming out to view your beloved bike, trying to knock money off it by insulting the bike and your intelligence, I just can't be arsed.

I read a lot about riders experiencing buffeting from the fairing and needed to add an extension to the windshield.. Well there is a bit of buffeting, I won't lie.

But the windshield on them is adjustable. If I'm going on a long motorway journey, ie anything over 100km I'd recommend adjusting it to its highest setting, however for me its at its lowest setting 95% of the time and there's really not bother with it.

I'm nearly sure the buffeting was down to a hand guard issue?

Thanks Mak.

In the past I ve only sold a bicycle on donedeal and adverts. This experience has put me off for life.... The amount of timewasters, swappers who want to get rid off their trash.....unreal...

Its great that the windshield is adjustable. The mini shield on the bandit is next to useless for me.

What year is your bike and has it ABS?
    Would you recommend forking out €1000 more for an ABS version?

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

The vstrom buffeting issue for most riders is down to the screen and mirrors but from my experience its mostly due to the mirrors. The day i changed my vstrom mirrors 90% of the buffeting vanished. Tuono mirrors are the most common swap and cheap too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Did you look atall at the kawasaki versys 650.It looks good and is cheap.

Thanks listermint.
    Looks like a great source for information.

Btw who is the guy in Kilkenny?

Cheers.

https://www.facebook.com/TedsTransportRemovalsStorageIreland/

sound lads, picked it up from the seller in wales and dropped it to my door. The bike was in near as new nick. Super happy with it (ive had it over 3 years)

I would always look to good members clubs and tbh the Vstrom one in the UK is exemplary.

defike wrote: »
    Did you look atall at the kawasaki versys 650.It looks good and is cheap.

I did. I also had a spin on the versys but I prefer the V-Strom.

listermint wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/TedsTransportRemovalsStorageIreland/

sound lads, picked it up from the seller in wales and dropped it to my door. The bike was in near as new nick. Super happy with it (ive had it over 3 years)

I would always look to good members clubs and tbh the Vstrom one in the UK is exemplary.

Cheers listermint.Did they check the bike for you? How does it work with the documents and paying the seller? How much did you pay for the service?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Another +++ for Teds Trucking. The Fecker :)

ks_Bdq2Xj-_2QDxc_dDyyyGiChjmsHiVjH3tGvbQL602mmWhxui1YwvK1hamYNXS2Cl3wKrfUw4a3x9VWfp_Pfiw21z-C86awz-gQ9Zk3dyG-9ikx8m16liWWY6Zw3pTmTrCYdRfXj1e7IYsBl8tHDyCdVUMFlc0Y7phgchjHZHsJhBlGaevzFtSvXErIHGMmzM5tEXCVyPfUI9v8PpoB4PMk4FlhZDydd87bZzJxpd9MOIs5oXgDLhUlEeRc4EYxHvY8EF-EFO7a-JHkf8yhpLnrONuO0hkxWZOzU0oDAXHVditzJEj02KXfdWfESWPWNbkkGfEikKKLCLMbNRAGx9CjK-A3Tn36S_b4VhsTJ6ci5duDaGWvHcHmGQPZhpl_Be3FzCkgPd4APQpDwfnsOLAb9CmJWOC6289o5SykN7x0T3N2TGPJcTQC-YQex9l0S81zpLrw62S76NJdzFFRbKwJz4Wrkx0_K_7RiX4QuWdFvmJIzCB2vAZ4OEbJIgHTLXNdwNBRdDCtzyYMOgm1viScKIE0RUTODYcJk9sjLUjDiv0c8B-eZUrT77L4D68QkIytqt-xPK86h3ulC00uIVvdo2saSqyCMUBO_wd_f1yLzh5KqEOHw=w1903-h1070-no

Arrived shiney & spotless, collected the paperwork, keys and lock etc for me.

Am2W7s9Rt392O3If7iY8CBe7lpfex3X3gES5C_A4olWwYXjbqJDHY2CYVtVVv6EQj-VotgHrt-uzH_SUbCaTBszQ8MpRzjZyWZW_-skMpoAeNoshjVUWGWHmUb9so86kGX836Jm1Ftj_nhOR0ind3B3wLYyy5AEe4252QFASvqDWoTgVV-McvPY1O-0Be3QNQSmx4DpQhvk_d37zNPLUeOIBVsIPpZ6x_s_8p3sk185x30uWnU5QOfTkfoHHjh5Gl-S-GkpH8Ab-7i0iSiWGkRLNL2O3pnxZB_3tJ3tPFmIFghkNXWKrIKn5Y8T252ts_uMZETm3Unzl0i1b0Gc1pD6TlPegnPFY0fES6aIS9bGN1NmkAlUgPys2Cqvn1Q_q__rk2r9Xyz1a9WSo1VlztsjBYWznd2qn2g8hte2_OgjVXxSXf8K1Y0G8CllwzCVcOtgwkkF320DD2adUD-XaPIi3Ja2eP2BvR-LLi7hllcMhOsyz8SAeRP-0yc-P7dikOA4JuNoSjhG-QDROks0D7cjLNSCTfMyWri0th2by5ENuIUspv_l8MvFGr7t3K-JU4HZnaQZ5P14xFvE2WYeWzWgJaEDmKhyLlRK9WxX6S7rZ-IS-FQ=w1903-h1070-no

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Cheers listermint.Did they check the bike for you? How does it work with the documents and paying the seller? How much did you pay for the service?

Thanks.

He had a gander at it but i didn't specifically specify it. I went on the seller having spoken to them on the phone and the conditions of all photos.

Bought it from an elderly guy who had upgraded to the newer vstrom.

Buy sensible buy once :)

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

well with being an owner of a DL650 I would advise you to go with the v strom over the others, the DL650's are VERY comfortable an you'd ride for hours. plus looks sexy as f*ck :) an if you stick a nice deep loud pipe on it like I have its even better :D
    I'm not into the other two you mentioned.
    Hi Guys,

I have finally decided on the type of bike I want to replace my bandit 600 with.

Overall the V-Strom seems to be the best but most expensive package. However I have just tried out the BMW G650GS (2012 modell) and was surprised by how much fun this single cylinder with only 48 hp is (punchy enough up to 100 kph and extremly smooth).
    The only downside is the low seat which can be replaced with an aftermarket one for around €200.
    Are there any reliability issues with this particular modell which I believe was derived from the F650GS single?

Another contender would be the Transalp 650 which seems to be more similar to the V Strom but a bit cheaper. Are they as reliable as the legendary 600?

Cheers for any input.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys!
    I put down a deposit for a 2007 v strom 650 at a dealer yesterday. Its in very good condition and comes with full luagge. I cant wait to pick it up next week.
    There is only one gripe I have with it.
    Its the seat. I have a flat seat on the bandit. The seat on the v strom is curved and the hump for the pillion seat I keep sliding on is uncomfortable.
    Do you get used to this? If not then I will ve to get the seat modified so driver and pillion part are flush i.e. the same height.

Cheers.

Thanks guys!
    I put down a deposit for a 2007 v strom 650 at a dealer yesterday. Its in very good condition and comes with full luagge. I cant wait to pick it up next week.
    Its the seat. I have a flat seat on the bandit. The seat on the v strom is curved and the hump for the pillion seat I keep sliding on is uncomfortable.
    Do you get used to this? If not then I will ve to get the seat modified so driver and pillion part are flush i.e. the same height.

Cheers.

nice, you wontgo wrong with it, i love my yoke, as far as the seat goes, ive never had any problem with sliding on my seat, but the daughter said she slides on the pillion seat but I said it might be because she had on wet gear.so don't know really. my seat is the top one in the pic you showed.

Thanks guys!

Cheers.

You're just not used to that new seat is all. You'll get used to it, and I'd advise against spending money on something like that because you'll be doing it with every bike you buy.

A pillion likes to sit a little higher than the rider, gives them something to look at rather than the back of your head.

If you are going to spend money I'd advise you get to (if its not already fitted) a bash plate and engine bars.. Together they'll cost you about €300 from HEED in Poland, DON'T go for Givi ~ they're just way too expensive for the same thing.

They really beef up the look of the bike, and tbh without the splash plate the down pipe and oil filter are exposed to debris, rocks etc. A bash plate is money well spend.

Best of luck with the new purchase, you won't regret it. They're a lovely bike.

Thanks Eire forever.
    Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Nice bike btw!

Thanks Mak.

I probably need some time to get used to it.
    When I took the V strom out for the first spin I loved the riding position straight away. However I will need to practice a good bit until I get confident as with the bandit (especially when chucking the bike around bends/corners).
    A pillion doesn't come into the equation yet even though my 4 year old daughter is dying to get on the back of it :)

Bash plate, engine bars and luaggage are already fitted.
    Down the line I will get an aftermarket exhaust though. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Thanks Eire forever.
    Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Nice bike btw!

no worries,you'll get use to it, I've ridden for hours on it an was very comfy, only thing I had which most bikers get is the cramps after long trips.

cheers, I don't know why the pic came out sideways though haha

you've chosen the right bike anyhow (thumbs up) best of luck with it

Advertisement