Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR Addition

Options
  • 19-03-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

Just wondering if anyone had any kit recomendations for VR. Dont want to be spending a fortune on something which will no doubt come down in price quite quickly i would imagine.

Cheers
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The cheapest way to get into VR at the moment is through the PSVR. The PS4 console + headset come to around 700-800 euro (from memory). For the Rift or the Vive, both come to around €900 new (I'm including Touch controllers in the Rift price). For the PC, you need to meet the minimum spec of an i5 4570, GTX970/RX480, 8gb RAM. Probably a minimum of 600-700euro.

Your post is vague to say the least as "kit" could refer to anything, so i've listed the main price points. Currently the cost has not yet dropped as the tech is still very new and there are a lot of hurdles to cross before VR can hit mainstream (wire tethers and screen resolution being major factors).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Inviere

PSVR can be made to work on PC now too, though there's some work involved in setting it up. That makes it by far the cheapest entry point into PC VR Gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There's also a cheap Chinese knock off headset that's getting positive reviews.

It doesn't have fully fledged head tracking, although that's supposedly in the works along with hand controllers but it's a 4k headset so picture quality is good. EDIT: It's something like £300.

You really do have to meet the minimum specs though, my CPU wasn't up to the task i7 2600k, it had a lot of stuttering and had issues maintaining 45fps. I overclocked it to 4.5ghz and everything became smooth. I've still got a little bit left in the processor.

I had actually come here to start a thread but I might as well ask it here.

I can over clock my CPU to 4.7ghz, but I get a temp of 68c under load. At my current overclock of 4.5ghz I get temps of 58c. I have a good heatsink and everything seems stable at 4.7ghz, so is 67c an acceptable temperature? What temp is too high?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have a good heatsink and everything seems stable at 4.7ghz, so is 67c an acceptable temperature? What temp is too high?

That's perfectly fine, do it do it do it do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jpmoll

Xenoronin wrote: »
    The cheapest way to get into VR at the moment is through the PSVR. The PS4 console + headset come to around 700-800 euro (from memory). For the Rift or the Vive, both come to around €900 new (I'm including Touch controllers in the Rift price). For the PC, you need to meet the minimum spec of an i5 4570, GTX970/RX480, 8gb RAM. Probably a minimum of 600-700euro.

Your post is vague to say the least as "kit" could refer to anything, so i've listed the main price points. Currently the cost has not yet dropped as the tech is still very new and there are a lot of hurdles to cross before VR can hit mainstream (wire tethers and screen resolution being major factors).
    Many thanks and sorry for my lack of detail.

I'm most interested in something to hook up to PC. We do have that spec and a bit more so should be ok there.

J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Misread the thread title and thought 'VR Addiction' that's worth a look :D:D

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Rift and Touch is not €900. Thats the Vive.

Rift and Touch together are €708 after the price drop announced at GDC last month

Given that and the fact that the Rift is arguably the better HMD and Touch the better controller and has more high quality games and experiences funded by Facebook a load of which are free, well its a bit of a no brainer which is the better buy right now except for the most extreme anti facebook zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Calibos wrote: »
    Rift and Touch is not €900. Thats the Vive.

Rift and Touch together are €708 after the price drop announced at GDC last month

Given that and the fact that the Rift is arguably the better HMD and Touch the better controller and has more high quality games and experiences funded by Facebook a load of which are free, well its a bit of a no brainer which is the better buy right now except for the most extreme anti facebook zealots.

Did not know that. Awesome :D

Edit: OH ****. The touch controllers have also been halved in price! Hello instabuy.

Advertisement