Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Year round?

• 19-03-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

So I'm looking to get a bike. I've got a car at the moment. I'm wondering if I get the bike, will I still need the car?

Do most bike year round? Or do most have a car for when the weather gets crappy in the winter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

I bike year round, only not out if it's snow/icey.

I also have a car.

Whether you need a car as well depends on a number of factors - the bike, whether the bike is a toy for the weekends or a commuter, family/kids, where you live etc.

For me the bike is great, but I also like having a car, not just for lugging the kiddos around but also for simple things like going to Tesco.

It's a totally personal to your situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭Alkers

I've had to take the car about ten times in the last four years because of the weather - ice, snow or bad wind.
    The main issue will be for the likes of grocery shopping or anywhere with no where to change or leave your gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I have a car as well. Need it for kids, shopping, family activities, trips away etc.
    If I was on my own then I would probably only keep it if there wasnt any frequent public transport around....
    However its hard to tell as I love being on the bike year round but its great to have the car as a back up (especially in crap weather and when you are sick).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Goose81

So I'm looking to get a bike. I've got a car at the moment. I'm wondering if I get the bike, will I still need the car?

Do most bike year round? Or do most have a car for when the weather gets crappy in the winter?
    I have a car that i couldn't do without, fair weather biker plus sometimes just not arsed putting all the gear on for a spin to the shop or 10 mins to the folks. By the time I've put the gear on, unlocked the bike let it warm up for a minute I'd have been there and back in the car.

Another thing is say a dark winters evening pissing rain with zero visibility, i could take the bike but I'm glad i don't have to. I wouldn't like to not have that option

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I commute all year round except on icy roads or when its blowin a storm in excess of 60 kmph. I absolutely hate the dark wet windy nights on minor rural roads but ye work through it. In the city that's fine though.
    Would not like to have bike as only means of transport however.

• Advertisement
Advertisement