Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage Maps?

Options
  • 19-03-2017 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi there,

Long story short - we have had an extension / renovation on our property, and are coming to the end of the process.

Our builder hasn't identified where the main sewage pipe is that he needs to connect to - and so has been digging for sometime to try and find it.

Would the council have maps of sewage pipes available? So I can see roughly where the pipe is?

Thanks,
    Smiley

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Long story short - we have had an extension / renovation on our property, and are coming to the end of the process.

Our builder hasn't identified where the main sewage pipe is that he needs to connect to - and so has been digging for sometime to try and find it.

Would the council have maps of sewage pipes available? So I can see roughly where the pipe is?

Thanks,
    Smiley

The council maps only show the public system and what they own.
    They will not sow the private system in the rear gardens of homes.

I've got to say it, but this is a serious lack of professionalism from your builder and/or designer by not locating the pipe beforehand.

Are you absolute sure that there is a pipe in the vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Don't understand how the extension can be built and there is no knowledge of sewer connection? This is normally established before a single spade goes into the ground and verified very early on to ensure design is correct.

If your in an estate start looking for manholes and lifting them to determine runs. If your on a bigger but if land with no obvious drains best of luck but there may be no sewer on that side of the property.

Your own builders inability to locate it is very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

Yes, I agree with you both! Unfortunately - this is hindsight now, and this has definitely been an up and down process. Was just trying to figure out a way to get him the right information to help him along. 

Thank you both appreciate the replies!
    There's definitely one in the vicinity - we have a rough idea of where it is, but just trying to figure out how exactly to get it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Smiley012 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with you both! Unfortunately - this is hindsight now, and this has definitely been an up and down process. Was just trying to figure out a way to get him the right information to help him along. 

Thank you both appreciate the replies!
    There's definitely one in the vicinity - we have a rough idea of where it is, but just trying to figure out how exactly to get it!

What LA are you in?

Have you asked neighbours?
    Maybe get into an adjoining property and cctv back towards your house to determine rough location.

It's worth noting you cannot connect to a main drain with LA approval and you technically need permission from all owners of the private drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

One end is connected to the existing toilet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

So - all toilets and pipes were removed during the build - existing connections were removed when they were building the extension. Have asked the neighbours just this evening - and they have been super helpful. Definitely given us more of an idea where it is. 
    KCeire - that's a great idea, I will investigate that as an option if it goes on much longer!
    We are with DLRCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

....bit of a builder from hell. Anyway your neighbours connection will give you a clue to where yours will be, CCTV is kind of expensive but you might just tell your builder to solve it, digging random holes doesn't inspire much confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Try sending an email to datarequests@water.ie
    You will have to send them map and location details. Or call into your local Municipal District Office and ask to talk to water services supervisor or water engineer.

Advertisement