Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead | Season 7 | Episode 14 | The Other Side [AMC] [SPOILERS]

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

NUTZZ wrote: »
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    What's the time line again? I'm pretty impressed that all these cars lying around still have functioning batteries.

It's roughly been about a year and eight months (20 months) since the outbreak.

Much more. Judith is the yardstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Much more. Judith is the yardstick.

Judith may be the yardstick, but the actress playing her isn't. It's still roughly 20 months.

Yeah, I guess you have to forget a bit about all that!

Yeah, I guess you have to forget a bit about all that!

I think that, coupled with the fact we've been watching the show for nearly 7 years in real life, makes it much harder for us to fathom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Wait a minute... Rick was in a coma for 60 days?
    If we discount the flashback sequences, the very first episode, suitably titled "Days Gone Bye," starts on Day +60 after the initial outbreak.

One day later, Rick scores his first zombie kill with a baseball bat, while he also meets Glenn and the other survivors. It also took Lori at least 61 days to get over the loss of her husband, as we see her having a woodland romp with Shane also on this day.

Awkwardly, this the same day Rick's finally re-united with his family.

Season 1 ends on Day +65, meaning the whole thing took less than a week.

Although I suppose it depends on how long from "first outbreak" to "everything gone to hell"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

If that timeline is correct it makes the weird way Jadis and the Junkyard people speak even more ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Scraggs wrote: »
    If that timeline is correct it makes the weird way Jadis and the Junkyard people speak even more ridiculous!

Really, this is the thing that irritates me more than anything else.

There is another show out there at the moment called the 100. It's set in the future and basically in that show people have developed their own language after a couple hundred years and can no longer understand english. The idea of that always struck me as ridiculous. Language evolves and changes but not that quickly. Not at that pace. But at least they are dealing with a century or two.

The shere notion that Jadis and her crew would have their own dialect after a couple of years is the stupidest piece of writing this show has ever conjured up.

I give TWD a pass for a lot......but not for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Yeah, jadis' speech is like something from a fantasy novel

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That speech regression has annoyed me too. Maybe too long watching trump speak or something. Bigly.

• Advertisement

Scraggs wrote: »
    Kirby wrote: »
    Really, this is the thing that irritates me more than anything else.
    Robsweezie wrote: »
    Yeah, jadis' speech is like something from a fantasy novel
    MarkR wrote: »
    That speech regression has annoyed me too. Maybe too long watching trump speak or something. Bigly.

I've posted this already but this is their explanation for the dialect;
    The language and dialogue is a way to keep their group cohesive. This dialogue is one way to separate them from the outside and cement that community. It's very succinct, clear and to the point

And as you can see from the heap and how all the trash is used, there's nothing that is wasted. In this case, it's the word; there's no need for extraneous words, it's just what you need and direct. The rest is just to be dropped back in the trash. It's also intimidating to outsiders and makes them that much more mysterious. Jadis keeps her cards close to her chest and her dialogue is one of the ways she can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

If that was really true, Jadis wouldn't have sent Rick "up,up,up"
    She would have just sent him "up"

skipper_G wrote: »
    If that was really true, Jadis wouldn't have sent Rick "up,up,up"
    She would have just sent him "up"

Again the explanation for this was that "up up up" is a certain tier of the junkyard that Jadis refers to, not the sole action of going 'up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It's roughly been about a year and eight months (20 months) since the outbreak.

Do you have a source for that? Personally I would think it's a bit longer - in the tv show, Judith is clearly a toddler now, possibly even coming up on a couple of years old. She seems to have been 'aged' in the show during this season, going from a non-walking baby in the latter end of S6 to a fairly sturdy toddler during the episode when Negan brought Carl back. (There seemed to have been an extended period of calm in Alexandria after the walker invasion, just before Rick and Michonne got together/they met Jesus for the first time). So for arguments sake let's say she's nearly two, add on 40 weeks of pregnancy plus a couple of months at the start where Lori wasn't pregnant - it would appear to be more like three years. I don't know what the comic timeline is however. I admit that the overall timeline is fuzzy. That's probably deliberate. Rarely do characters talk about spans of time, or how long it's been since TSHTF.

I have to keep reminding myself that storylines which take weeks to play out on tv may only have taken place over hours or days in their world.

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that? Personally I would think it's a bit longer - in the tv show, Judith is clearly a toddler now, possibly even coming up on a couple of years old. She seems to have been 'aged' in the show during this season, going from a non-walking baby in the latter end of S6 to a fairly sturdy toddler during the episode when Negan brought Carl back. (There seemed to have been an extended period of calm in Alexandria after the walker invasion, just before Rick and Michonne got together/they met Jesus for the first time). So for arguments sake let's say she's nearly two, add on 40 weeks of pregnancy plus a couple of months at the start where Lori wasn't pregnant - it would appear to be more like three years. I don't know what the comic timeline is however. I admit that the overall timeline is fuzzy. That's probably deliberate. Rarely do characters talk about spans of time, or how long it's been since TSHTF.

https://moviepilot.com/posts/2592317

^^That only goes as far as Season 5 though...

Sh*t, just looked at the date of the article, didn't really read it. Here is one from last year, I'll try dig out another. As said earlier, you have to ignore it a bit!

Especially with the way Chandler Riggs is growing up!

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/134311/how-long-has-the-apocalypse-been-going-on

I think Judith is really the only accurate gauge - we know she was born about a year after the world went to pot. So whatever age she appears to be on the show, add on a year or so :)

This has been a frustrating season in terms of 'believability' for me (zombies aside, obvs!) Between Jadis and her gang, King Ezekiel & co, and the fact that there still seems to be an unlimited supply of usable fuel for anybody who needs it....and the fact that not once has anybody said "hey, where's Heath??"

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that?

Multiple sources cite that we are at roughly 21 months in the TV series, which makes sense when you consider the comic books are roughly at
    4 years (48 months).

jgmw6e.jpg

Also consider that all of Season 7 so far has taken place over roughly 2 weeks...this show moves quite slow, in more aspects than one!

Judith is roughly about a year old on the TV show, the character, not the actress. And if you think that's confusing;

*SLIGHT COMIC SPOILERS

Even ‘The Walking Dead’ Bosses Don’t Know How Old Carl Is Supposed to Be
    It’s a classic conundrum for serialized shows with child actors; younger characters invariably grow older than the story would suggest. The Walking Dead star Chandler Riggs has naturally aged seven years from its 2010 beginnings (compared with a relatively condensed timeline for the show), but even creator Robert Kirkman isn’t certain how old the character is in comics; let alone TV.

One could spend hours and countless corkboards attempting to pin down an exact timeline for The Walking Dead, which has occasionally matched the months in between seasons, but in other instances picked up precisely where if left off. That puzzle isn’t any easier to solve with Carl, whose appearance has naturally aged seven years, while a Season 3 introduction like baby Judith hasn’t yet grown to talking age.

The comic Carl’s age is apparently a source of debate as well, given that an early issue placed the character’s age at the outset of the series
    as seven, while a 2-3 year time jump in recent years gave him a more teenage appearance. The question was posed to editor Sean Mackiewicz and creator Robert Kirkman in the “Letter Hacks” section of Issue #164 (h/t ComicBook), though neither necessarily had an answer:

Mackiewicz: Robert and I disagree on many things, but maybe none more so than Carl’s age. The irony there is that I know Carl is 7, like you all do, because Robert wrote he was 7 in issue 5. So long as Carl never says how old he is post-time jump, you can just ignore what we say in the letter pages as made up s---. (Except for everything I just wrote.)

Kirkman: Officially, the time jump
    between 126 and 127 is not tied down to a specific number of years. It seems like around two, but could have been more … It’s totally possible that Carl has aged five years since the beginning of the series. Kids age fast!
    The books didn’t mount the time-jump until after a
    final showdown with Negan and the Saviors
    , leaving it unclear if the AMC version intends to follow through with a similar reset. Ironically, a two-year skip could bring Riggs’ appearance more in line with the show’s internal chronology, as opposed to the book version complicating matters. Even then, there’s still the question of Judith (the character never made it past the prison in the books), who would likely need to become an actual character capable of speech.

It’s unlikely The Walking Dead Season 7 will resolve any conflict with Negan in only six episodes, but might Season 8 (whose premiere coincides with the 100th episode) eventually iron out some of the timeline? Is Riggs bound to find his way off the series regardless?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

There's no need for extraneous words? Why, do they create an additional strain on the limited resources available?

Advertisement