Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan 2019 World Cup draw

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Canada play USA in Ontario in first of 2 games which decides who will be in pool C with England, France and Argentina while loser of game plays Uruguay early next year with winner of that tie qualifying for Pool C with Australia, Wales and Georgia

Lots of Irish involved in the game. Shane O Leary starts at 10 for Canada while Paddy Ryan starts at tighthead, John Quill is in the back row and AJ McGinty is outhalf for the States.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

Canada v USA just starting. WC qualifying match.
    As posted above plenty of Irish interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

28-28 draw.
    All to play for in San Diego next weekend.
    SOL kicked 13 points including penalty to level the game but gave away intercept US scored a try from.
    AJ McGinty scored 4 conversions for US

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

52-16 win for USA in the second leg. They take a place alongside England, France and Argentina in Group C. Canada have another two chances to qualify.

Ireland vs Scotland, 8:45am September 22nd - International Stadium, Yokohama
    Ireland vs Japan, 8:15am September 28th - Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa
    Ireland vs Europe 1, 11:15am October 3rd - Kobe Misaki Stadium
    Ireland vs Play-off winner, 11:45am October 12th, Hakatanomori Football Stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Ireland vs Scotland, 8:45am September 22nd - International Stadium, Yokohama
    Ireland vs Japan, 8:15am September 28th - Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa
    Ireland vs Europe 1, 11:15am October 3rd - Kobe Misaki Stadium
    Ireland vs Play-off winner, 11:45am October 12th, Hakatanomori Football Stadium

Going from the east to the west of the country game by game. Yokohama is an hour by train from Tokyo too if you wanted to cover a game there too.

I am tempted. It would be a fantastic trip. I'm dreading the ticket prices though, Japan isn't cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I don't want to trigger people by talking about stadiums.

But they're fairly underwelming. The Kobe one looks great, but the first two are very big athletics grounds and the last one is a 22k regional.

errlloyd wrote: »

But they're fairly underwelming. The Kobe one looks great, but the first two are very big athletics grounds and the last one is a 22k regional.

Yeah I've noticed the same thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The first one is where the final is being played and its hosted a soccer world cup final as well hasn't it?

The fourth game looks an unlikely trip as its 10 days after game 3, an unattractive opposition and a small ground.
    Think people will look for 1&2 or 2&3 combinations. Or 1&2&3 if you go for a fortnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Erik Shin

Another reason why Ireland won't get a world cup...no excuse for boozy breakfasts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

The fourth game looks an unlikely trip as its 10 days after game 3, an unattractive opposition and a small ground.
    Think people will look for 1&2 or 2&3 combinations. Or 1&2&3 if you go for a fortnight.

other option is head over forr QFs and semis (and.....) and hope we are there
    Tokyo and Yokohama are good large stadiums

The first one is where the final is being played and its hosted a soccer world cup final as well hasn't it?

Yeah but the highest scoring international football match ever played there was when the might Saudia Arabia lost 3-0 in a shock result to the plucky Irish underdogs.

Have the Irish Rugby team ever played a world cup game in a Stadium the Irish Soccer team have also played in? Have we ever even qualified for a world cup in a country they have?

That stadium is described as a 10 minute walk from the airport! Fly in, few beers, fly out.

Yeah but the highest scoring international football match ever played there was when the might Saudia Arabia lost 3-0 in a shock result to the plucky Irish underdogs.

Have the Irish Rugby team ever played a world cup game in a Stadium the Irish Soccer team have also played in? Have we ever even qualified for a world cup in a country they have?

Wembley v Romania (rugby world cup) and v England (soccer friendly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Have the Irish Rugby team ever played a world cup game in a Stadium the Irish Soccer team have also played in?

not a world cup game no
    Euros in France alright so both teams played in same stadiums (Stade de France anyway)

Ireland didn't make it to soccer world cup in France or South Africa which would have been most likely palces for this to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Just for Euro info.

Venue Cat 1 Cat 2 Cat 3 Cat 4
    Ireland v Scotland International Stadium Yokohama €225 €165 €105 €53
    Japan v Ireland Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa €300 €225 €150 €75
    Ireland v Europe 1 Kobe Misaki Stadium €113 €75 €45 €23
    Ireland v Play-off winner Fukuoka Hakatanomori Stadium €150 €113 €75 €38
    F2: W Pool B v RU Pool A Tokyo Stadium €300 €225 €150
    F4: W Pool A v RU Pool B Tokyo Stadium €300 €225 €150

Think I paid similar last time around

• Advertisement

Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiikes

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Yeah I paid something similar alright. Although i did get a cheap ferry across to Wales. Going to cost a good bit more to get out to Japan!

Yeah I paid something similar alright. Although i did get a cheap ferry across to Wales. Going to cost a good bit more to get out to Japan!

You can see the logic. If we're willing to pay ~1000e for flights, we're definitely going to stump up 150 for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭The Caveman

I know this is a real first world problem...

But, I might do either...

Sat 21 Sep - NZ vs SA - International Stadium Yokohama
    Sun 22 Sep – Ireland vs Scotland - International Stadium Yokohama

Or

Sun 20 Oct QF4 – Hopefully Ireland vs NZ/SA – Tokyo Stadium
    And maybe
    Sun 27 Oct SF2: W QF3 v W QF4

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭iancm25

I still haven't told the wife how much I paid for two semi-final tickets (that Ireland never made it to...) :eek:

iancm25 wrote: »
    I still haven't told the wife how much I paid for two semi-final tickets (that Ireland never made it to...) :eek:

Haha

I was incredibly lucky to be living on the M4, right between London and Cardiff which kept my costs down. Until I then decided to attend every game. November was a lean month.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Does Lansdowne Road count? Or do you mean where both have played a World Cup match?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    Does Lansdowne Road count? Or do you mean where both have played a World Cup match?

It was a fairly stupid train of thought. I meant an away world cup match.

There is a weird sort of romance to this one stadium in Japan that the vast majority of fans are only ever going to go to once in our lives and how that place will overlap for Football and Rugby.

Will Dan Leavy be back fit for this?

Will Dan Leavy be back fit for this?

I heard Ben Betts might be going to Leicester. Will Schmidt make an exception for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Has anyone considered England’s draw. They are in a spot of bother. Their last 2 pool games are Argentina then France. Quarterfinal likely wales or Australia. Semi final likely NZ SA or Ireland. Final a big team as well of course.

If they win the world Cup by beating 5 top nations in consecutive matches, then it’ll be a worthy title. They’ll need a massive squad of quality and no injuries to any of their most important players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Just looking at the draw and noticed this will be the first time Ireland have played a Pacific nation at the WC since 1987 if/when Samoa qualify. Quite funny given how big a part the Pacific Islanders are of the attraction of the competition. Won't be an easy game for a fifth seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Leinstertomas

Romania's qualification means they will be Japan's opponents in the opening game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Has anyone considered England’s draw. They are in a spot of bother. Their last 2 pool games are Argentina then France. Quarterfinal likely wales or Australia. Semi final likely NZ SA or Ireland. Final a big team as well of course.

If they win the world Cup by beating 5 top nations in consecutive matches, then it’ll be a worthy title. They’ll need a massive squad of quality and no injuries to any of their most important players.

Yeah, very interesting.

France are such an enigma that it's difficult to make any sort of a real guess as to what level they'll be at by then, but I can't see them being a pushover. Argentina, however, have been poor since the RWC and I can't really see them being that much of a force

Could be a playoff essentially between England and France to top the group. At this moment in time I'm not sure would they rather Wales or Australia!

They'll need a fully firing squad of 30ish though as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah, very interesting.

France are such an enigma that it's difficult to make any sort of a real guess as to what level they'll be at by then, but I can't see them being a pushover. Argentina, however, have been poor since the RWC and I can't really see them being that much of a force

Could be a playoff essentially between England and France to top the group. At this moment in time I'm not sure would they rather Wales or Australia!

They'll need a fully firing squad of 30ish though as you say.

I think Argentina will depend on whether they allow to select their foreign legion. They have a pretty handy record in RWCs but they have stalled big time since 2015. Their Super Rugby side, which is basically the same thing as the Pumas, is regularly defeated, whether home or away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was a fairly stupid train of thought. I meant an away world cup match.

There is a weird sort of romance to this one stadium in Japan that the vast majority of fans are only ever going to go to once in our lives and how that place will overlap for Football and Rugby.

There are a few that have hosted both Irish soccer and rugby internationals. There is Staid Francias (Top man, Thierry) and the old Parc de France in Paris; the Stadio Olympio in Rome,which was were the 1990 Ireland Italy game took place; the Cardiff Arms/Millennium/Principality Stadium; and Wembley.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Interesting to note that, in the rankings, this group has gone from 4th and 8th (ie the 2 lowest in pots 1 &2) at the time of the draw, to 2nd and 5th now.
    Ire & Sco & Jap are 1 +5 + 11 = 17 (Pool of Death!!)
    NZ & SA & Ita are 1 + 6 + 14 = 21
    Eng & Fra & Arg are 3 + 8 + 9 = 20
    Aus & Wales & Georgia are 4 + 7 + 12 = 23
    Please - nobody get irate - it's just a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭timaru89

tmc1963 wrote: »
    Interesting to note that, in the rankings, this group has gone from 4th and 8th (ie the 2 lowest in pots 1 &2) at the time of the draw, to 2nd and 5th now.

Glad to see Ireland are no. 1 in the world rankings :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

tmc1963 wrote: »

There's no easy group there really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Booked me tickets for Ireland v Japan and Ireland v Scotland, Yokohama and Shizuoka the other day when it became possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,828 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

tampopo wrote: »
    Booked me tickets for Ireland v Japan and Ireland v Scotland, Yokohama and Shizuoka the other day when it became possible.

Can you do it already? Thought team packages were the latest thing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Eod100 wrote: »
    Can you do it already? Thought team packages were the latest thing..

Yeah, on the 18th. 18th here, could already have been Monday 19th there, tbh
    I have a local address, that may be relative

Tomorrow noon at Donnybrook, U/19 Japan v Ireland representative team. Free entry

Advertisement