Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Looking at adding an SSD to my new build (thanks for the help)
    My board ( B250M-DS3H) has a M2 slot is this a good option to use.
    If so what would you recommend around 100 euro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

For under €100? do you need the transfer speed for anything productive? Because a normal SSD would be what I'd recommend otherwise.

There are trade-offs with these:

€90 gets you a 128GB drive. Very fast but small enough that it will fill up quickly and you'll be annoyed sooner rather than later.

€100-ish gets you a 250GB drive, about the same read performance as the 250GB Samsung 850 EVO (probably the most recommended SSD in general) but much slower write speed.
    The Samsung has a 5-year warranty vs WD's 3-year warranty and costs about €100 (just checking prices on Amazon.de), so I'd really only get the WD option if I was reeeeeeeeeeeally stuck for space and needed to use M.2.

Amazon.de's currently out of what I'd consider the best pick of the M.2s in that price-range and that's Samsung's 250GB 960 EVO @ €135. Over budget, but generally twice as fast as the 850 EVO if you have a use for that speed like audio/video/photo editing. Why wait a minute for files to load to RAM when you can wait 15-25 seconds, etc etc.

Advertisement