Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League player of the year?

• 20-03-2017 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭

Coming up to that time again, who is your player of the year?

Have to go with N'golo Kante I reckon, when you look at the season Leicester are having and Chelsea it only illustrates his importance. An absolute warrior, Chelsea got a bargain there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I can't even think of a second candidate. Kane and Alli have had great seasons again, no-one at City stands out at all, Zlatan & Lukaku also doing well, Sanchez carrying a whole team, and Liverpool took a winter break and are hindered by such a weak manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

rob316 wrote: »
    Coming up to that time again, who is your player of the year?

Have to go with N'golo Kante I reckon, when you look at the season Leicester are having and Chelsea it only illustrates his importance. An absolute warrior, Chelsea got a bargain there.

Can't argue with any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Eden Hazard and it's not even close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

N'golo Kante and Kyle Walker the top two for me.

Few other shortlists so far would be Moussa Dembele/Dele Alli/Lukaku

*I feel kinda ill at the amount of Spurs players I have included!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Kante and Lukaku are the front runners. Ibrahimovic's suspension has come at the wrong time as has Kane's injury.Hazard seems to have cooled off a little in the last couple of months so I think he might be out of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

When is the voting for this done, isnt it like back in February or sometime in ?March?

Anyway it will probably be between Kante, Kane or Alli.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Giggsy11 wrote: »

N'golo Kante and its not even close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

There is a 1/4 of the premier league season left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Kante should have won it last year and if Chelsea win the league I'd say he will get it this year. It's between him and Hazard anyway.

I think Alli is a shoe in for the young player of the year award but its always been a bit of a cop out that you can be given the award if you start the season at 23 and be considered a young player.

Edit :

It'll be interesting to see the PFA team of the year because theres at least 5 Chelsea players that should make it.

Courtois, Azp, Luiz, Kante, Hazard should be in it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

No stand out player tbh,just shows how poor the pl really is,at a push id say lukaku,whats kante actually done,he does the basics well thats about it,he never stands out for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

David Luiz for me.

shamrock55 wrote: »
    No stand out player tbh,just shows how poor the pl really is,at a push id say lukaku,whats kante actually done,he does the basics well thats about it,he never stands out for me

If all he did was "do the basics well" then you'd have nearly every player in the league up for the POTY award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Kante will win all the POTY awards,no one else shown anything like his consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

shamrock55 wrote: »

Have to disagree with this, PL in recent years (especially last year) was poor but this year, the standard has been way higher.

Kante has been different class, should win it easy.

Kane was having a great season again, as was Zlatan before their injury/suspension. Lukaku surprisingly consistent, even for his standards. Sanchez carried a team, Pool players inconsistent which have cost them, Mane would have been in with a good shout if AFCON hadn't happened to keep his form. Even the Irish players this year have had good seasons in the PL.

Quality of games have been a lot better this year IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'll wait until May

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Giggsy11 wrote: »

He's not even the best midfielder at Chelsea :pac:

If Lukaku scores in the big 2 games coming up i'd give him a nomination.

His record against the big teams is generally awful altho this season it's:

Scored against City away
    Scored against City at home
    Scored against Spurs away

Failed to score against:

Chelsea in Stamford Bridge
    United in Goodison
    Arsenal in Goodison

Off the top of my head I think this is probably his best goal tally against the big teams in a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

He's not even the best midfielder at Chelsea :pac:

He is. I know there is a strong Kante love in but Hazard is in the class of own.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Funny that there's no love for Costa. He was fantastic for Chelsea before Christmas before dropping off a bit. Shows how much of a difference timing makes. Been more important than Hazard for Chelsea anyway.

Kante should get poty though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

His record against the big teams is generally awful altho this season it's:

Unless I'm very wrong, Harry Kane has only scored one goal against the big teams this season, against Arsenal in November.

And Costa and Zlatan have two. Puts Lukaku's record in context I think.

Unless I'm very wrong, Harry Kane has only scored one goal against the big teams this season, against Arsenal in November.

Scored against Arsenal and 2 against Everton(if that counts)

But I think Kane generally has a an unbelivable record against the London teams.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/tottenham-hotspur/367/blog/post/3000679/harry-kane-excellent-goal-scoring-record-in-london-derbies

Five goals four games against Arsenal
    Three goals four games against Chelsea

You quoted half of my post where I said ''It's generally awful'' taking into previous season and I then went on to say it was his best goal tally against the big teams.

But yes I agree that Lukakus record this season is verygood

Scored against Arsenal and 2 against Everton(if that counts)

Well, no, it doesn't, and I'm not being flippant.

Kane might have had a better record previously but your point was about Lukaku having a poor record against the big teams and it doesn't hold up, he scores as many or even more against the big teams as any of his rivals, despite playing for a lessor team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Kante has been magnificent this season.

Kane has been excellent again,
    Lukaku been very good for Everton,
    Ibra very good first season in England,

Alli probably young player.

Well, no, it doesn't, and I'm not being flippant.

Kane might have had a better record previously but your point was about Lukaku having a poor record against the big teams and it doesn't hold up, he scores as many or even more against the big teams as any of his rivals, despite playing for a lessor team.

I'm not disputing the fact his goalscoring record is good this season. No idea why you're looking for an argument out of nothing.

We probably shouldn't count Arsenal then if we aren't counting Kanes goals against Everton considering they're on the same amount of points. Or at the end of the season if Everton finish 6th do we change the goalscoring record and exclude whoever is in 7th?

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Funny that there's no love for Costa. He was fantastic for Chelsea before Christmas before dropping off a bit. Shows how much of a difference timing makes. Been more important than Hazard for Chelsea anyway.

Kante should get poty though.

He might get a nod but his geenral play since about January/February has been very, very poor.

Granted, hes still scored goals and some big ones too though.

Edit : Usually Costa and Hazard drop off and then finish the season strongly, so I'd be expectiong a kick on from both after the international break.

Costa to hopefully break the 20 goal mark and Hazard 15 goals.

No idea why you're looking for an argument out of nothing.

I'm responding to the post you made.

To be honest, if you want to include Everton as one of what would commonly be known as the "big" clubs to reinforce your point then thats up to you, but I doubt many would have been thinking of Everton when reading your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Kante has had an excellent season doing what he does. That being said, England is surely the only top flight league on football today that there would be so much clamour about a defensive midfielder as to award him the player of the year, speaks volumes about the mindset of those guys on tv in suits sitting watching football each week that they treasure a player like Kante above the genius of an Eden Hazard. In any other football culture, this award is Hazard's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kante has had an excellent season doing what he does. That being said, England is surely the only top flight league on football today that there would be so much clamour about a defensive midfielder as to award him the player of the year, speaks volumes about the mindset of those guys on tv in suits sitting watching football each week that they treasure a player like Kante above the genius of an Eden Hazard. In any other football culture, this award is Hazard's.
    Hazard got the award 2 season's ago.

Kante is probably getting so much clamour because he has 2 brillant title winiing performances in midfield since he came to the PL.

Can't remember the last defensive player to win the award either.

• Advertisement

Sure you never shut up talking about how great Busquets is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Hazard for me. Best player in the league*

*except when he can't be arsed

Sure you never shut up talking about how great Busquets is.

First thing is comparing Busquets with Kante is incorrect. Totally different players, may aswell compare Kante with Pirlo. Second thing is how many times has Busquets (arguably the best player ever in his position) won La Liga player of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kante playing brilliantly in his position, Hazard playing brilliantly in his position. Any football culture compliments the players that play well in their positions, if only attacking players won these awards it would be pretty boring and ridiculous, nothing to do with culture. Maybe the other cultures don't appreciate non-attacking players and over-appreciate attacking players. I've not got the greatest of love for English football 'culture' but I think these days it's almost too easy to pot shot it at this stage that some would accept any and all criticism of it. It's also ok......I know.....to appreciate both types of players.

First thing is comparing Busquets with Kante is incorrect. Totally different players, may aswell compare Kante with Pirlo. Second thing is how many times has Busquets (arguably the best player ever in his position) won La Liga player of the year?

If Busquets had played in the EPL he almost certainly would have won it.It's a a lot more difficult to win the La Liga award because of the other players who play in La Liga. Busquets is under appreciated because of all the great players around him.Scott Parker for example has won the FWA player of the year award in England and he was no where near as good as Kante.

Busquets and Kante are not totally different players they play the same position do pretty much the same job for their team just Busquets does it in a much more stylish manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Kante deserves it. I don't think hazard has been at the level he was at 2 seasons ago . The Chelsea front 3 Costa, Pedro and hazard have all had similar very good seasons without any of them being exceptional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Remember in Spain when Real Madrid completely undervalued Makelele and sold him to Chelsea and didn't win anything for years after?

Capajoma wrote: »
    Remember in Spain when Real Madrid completely undervalued Makelele and sold him to Chelsea and didn't win anything for years after?

I'm not saying that defensive midfielders are pointless, far from it. I am saying that it's telling of the football culture of Britain and Ireland that celebrates hard working workhorses over skilled geniuses like Hazard and Sanchez. It's reflective of what our football cultures prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Has to be a Chelsea player - Luiz, Kante, Hazard or Costa have been their key men.

I think Kante has been the most consistently outstanding.

If he hadn't got injured twice Harry Kane would have presented a challenge - his consistency is amazing - 19 goals in 22 games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'm not saying that defensive midfielders are pointless, far from it. I am saying that it's telling of the football culture of Britain and Ireland that celebrates hard working workhorses over skilled geniuses like Hazard and Sanchez. It's reflective of what our football cultures prize.

Do they really though? Hazard has had gushing praise about him this season, as has Kante. I'm not sure how you can compare 'more' praise between players, just depends what you read and what you watch. I don't think it's a culture thing at all, using 'culture' is an easy way of describing away anything in a general term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

But isn't Kante a skilled genius aswell, in the defensive game? I don't see how Kante is any less talented than Hazard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I thought Kante should have won it last year and he'll get it this year because of last year as much as this one. He is with the club who are dominating the league so it's going to happen. Azpilicueta, Luiz, Moses, Costa and Alonso have all been excellent too.

There are other candidates too like Jonny Evans who is having a fantastic season with West Brom, Sadio Mane at Liverpool, Ander Herrera and Ibra at United. Lukaku has been excellent for Everton but I'd have Seamus Coleman ahead of him for player of the year, honorable mention for Raheem Sterling at City.

I think Kante will win it and for me after him it's between Evans and Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

God for someone who lauds his insight into football how can you not see that it's those players that allow the Hazards, Messi and Ronaldos of the world to go out and be the creative geniuses that they are. They're as important as any other cog in the wheel. Some would argue more so.

I could combat your argument citing how blind la liga is to intelligent defensive minded athletes. But I won't go there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The problem around the globe these days is that people like those who score goals much more than those who prevent and create from deep.

It's a sad reflection of the average football fan that he/she doesn't appreciate the defensive side of the game as much as the attacking side.

A couple of seasons ago Sergio Busquets had a season to behold but never got mentioned anywhere because it was all about Messi and the other attacking players. A few seasons previous to that Carlos Puyol was imperious at the back for Barcelona but got no individual recognition either besides being selected in team of the year honours. I'm just mentioning Barca players because that's the club you follow and you might understand it a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

I blame Pep for that ;)
    eagle eye wrote: »
    It's a sad reflection of the average football fan that he/she doesn't appreciate the defensive side of the game as much as the attacking side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Dont know how you make the assumption that "skilled geniuses" are under celebrated in England. Since 1990 only four defensive players have won the PFA award, and two the football writers award. That's 6 awards out of 54 given to defensive players in 27 years.

Kante for me is head and shoulders above the rest. Outstanding player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

There's definitely a big bias when it comes to kante, people look at Leicester and Chelsea's relative success and point at him as the key factor, it's not that simple. Yes Leicester miss him and Chelsea have gained from him but I wouldn't have him as POTY this year. His numbers aren't anyway as good as they were last year, not his fault as Chelsea obviously keep the ball better and his strengths don't come into play as much as they did at Chelsea. His influence simply hasn't been big enough, from a defensive point Idrisse Gueye tops both interception and tackles charts for the league, he's been the standout defensive midfielder in the league. Kante is neat on the ball but hasn't contributed anything outstanding from that pov. I'd have 3 or 4 Chelsea players ahead of him this season for player of the year.

Does Andersonisgod hate defending? Of course not, that'd be ludicrous, especially when 2 of my top 5 favourite ever players includes Sergio Busquets and Gerard Pique.

Does defending require a variety of skills to do effectively? Of course it does.

Am I saying that we should not appreciate defensive players? I say we celebrate the great defenders of the game.

Am I saying that there's a reason attackers cost comparatively more than defenders? Yes.

Am I saying that to be one of the great technical wizards of the game, which Hazard certainly is, requires more skill and a type of genius than that which the hard-running Kante possesses? I am

Am I saying that a culture that will celebrate a player whose main assets are stamina, power and graft over technical genius, imagination and quickness of thought is a football culture that lags behind its continental counterparts? I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Am I saying that a culture that will celebrate a player whose main assets are stamina, power and graft over technical genius, imagination and quickness of thought is a football culture that lags behind its continental counterparts? I am.

Hazard has won it before.

This is a logical fallacy. Kante has been consistently more brilliant in his field of expertise than Hazard this season. Both are appreciated, just one has been consistently better at what they are good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Lukaku

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Kante.

• Advertisement
Advertisement