Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Echo £135 @ Amazon UK and John Lewis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For anyone considering the Echo, you are better off getting a Echo Dot for 50 and buying either a good bluetooth speaker or just connecting the dot via a cable to the speaker system you have.

I have both the Echo and Echo Dot so speaking from experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Cabaal wrote: »
    For anyone considering the Echo, you are better off getting a Echo Dot for 50 and buying either a good bluetooth speaker or just connecting the dot via a cable to the speaker system you have.

I have both the Echo and Echo Dot so speaking from experience :)

I don't have the Echo, only 2 Dots, but fully agree.

It's fantastic to be able to take the music with you wherever you go. Switch on a Bluetooth speaker in a room and the music automatically switches to that speaker. Switch it off and the music goes back to the previous speaker (or the Dot's speaker which isn't half-bad).

I picked up an Anker speaker for the bathroom recently (£25), and it's astonishingly good for the price with superb bass. Plus you can switch songs directly from the speaker itself (common feature of most Bluetooth speakers).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Waterproof-Dustproof-Microphone/dp/B017VWXES4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490028984&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+soundcore+sport

Bothering the neighbours with my singalongs no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

mrcheez wrote: »
    I don't have the Echo, only 2 Dots, but fully agree.

It's fantastic to be able to take the music with you wherever you go. Switch on a Bluetooth speaker in a room and the music automatically switches to that speaker. Switch it off and the music goes back to the previous speaker (or the Dot's speaker which isn't half-bad).

I picked up an Anker speaker for the bathroom recently (£25), and it's astonishingly good for the price with superb bass. Plus you can switch songs directly from the speaker itself (common feature of most Bluetooth speakers).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCore-Waterproof-Dustproof-Microphone/dp/B017VWXES4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490028984&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+soundcore+sport

Bothering the neighbours with my singalongs no doubt

You have any issues with the soundcore and the echo ? For me the echo works fine on its own, instantly responding to commands. When connected to the soundcore bluetooth speaker it will sometimes takes ages to respond and the start of the audio response gets cut off.

E.g if I say "Alexa whats the time", I might hear "....en fifteen pm". Or see the blue light circling for about 20\30 seconds and then nothing. It also randomly loses sound mid song when listening to spotify. I think the bluetooth itself conflicts with the wifi signal or something.

But because it works so much better on it's own and not connected to a bluetooth device I was actually considering buying the Echo and using the dot as a secondary one in a different room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

You have any issues with the soundcore and the echo ? For me the echo works fine on its own, instantly responding to commands. When connected to the soundcore bluetooth speaker it will sometimes takes ages to respond and the start of the audio response gets cut off.

E.g if I say "Alexa whats the time", I might hear "....en fifteen pm". Or see the blue light circling for about 20\30 seconds and then nothing. It also randomly loses sound mid song when listening to spotify. I think the bluetooth itself conflicts with the wifi signal or something.

But because it works so much better on it's own and not connected to a bluetooth device I was actually considering buying the Echo and using the dot as a secondary one in a different room.

Hmm, I've only experienced those sort of jumps once or twice, but only briefly. It may well be something to do with a weaker wifi signal when it's raining or something.

Generally speaking, though the Bluetooth speakers haven't had any issues connecting (even from 1st floor to ground floor, or between walls). I have 2 Anker speakers (Soundcore and the new Soundcore Sport) and a JBL Charge 3, and interchangeably move the music around the house by turning them on as I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Got the Dot over Christmas for the kitchen but the wife hates it so had to decommission.... She'd be listening to Spotify and one of the kids would walk in and say "Alexa play Trolls" and then walk off :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭lacase

I have to agree go for the dot I have both  and while the echo is good it is not worth 3 times the price of the dot!!  I have a simple solution to deal with kids messing with either my dot or echo.  When I am listening to Spotify I turn the mic off.  That way they can  ask "Alexa" to do anything they like she is just not listening!!  :-)

Advertisement