Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sudden Increase in energy usage

Options
  • 20-03-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just got an electricity bill today, and our electricty usage seems to have sky rocketed (by c. 8 times). Im trying to think of any changes we have made, and the only ones I can think of are:
    1. we're leaving a clock radio on for the dog
    2. We're using the outdoor light in the back garden more for the dog

To counter that, we're using the indoor lights less as the evenings / mornings get brighter. Is there anything I can do to check, or any other considerations?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭ptogher14

A clock radio is not going to do it! Have the previous bills been estimated?

It could be a faulty appliance, a stuck on immersion etc.

Have you a well or biocycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How long are you in the property, were previous bills estimates or actual readings, that would be first thing to check, you may have a lot of estimates previously which may skew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Change outside light to LED.

Oh and dogs don't need lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,867 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The outdoor light if it's a halogen bulb could be 500watts or so, do you know what the bulb is? Switching to an LED light might use 20-40 watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Hey all,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

The previous readings have been a combination of readings and estimates.
    We're in the property since Oct 2015, and had the whole house rewired in Novemmber 2015 (bar the kitchen, which was done last May/June).
    Have you a well or biocycle? - Dont understand this question.
    Re the immersion, never use it, but thats not to say it wasnt hit by accident, will check tonight.

thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Change outside light to LED.

Oh and dogs don't need lights.

dogs dont, but i do to find the presents they leave behind.

Changing the bulb is now high on the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Immersion could be a culprit in general heating anything with electricity costs a lot.
    Check your meter and see if the reading matches the bill.
    Can also try turn everything off and see is the wheel on meter still turning to try tie down is there anything still drawing electricity.
    Well, he literally means a well with a pump, I think if there is a leak somewhere these can run constantly.
    Biocycle, I initially thought he mis-spelt bicycle and was wondering what he meant, I'm guessing is some sort of waste treatment/septic tank with an aeration pump, I'm guessing if you don't know what one is you don't have one.

Advertisement