Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Building for Photo editing

Options
  • 20-03-2017 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    A friend is looking to build a system for editing large images via Photoshop etc
    He is looking for a good case with it which will allow him good access to number of USB ports at the front (USB 3) and also at the back, and also capacity for sd card if possible.
    1. What is your budget? €1500
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?  Photography - editing large files sizes (minor video editing)
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No, however, I want to be able to run 2 monitors on the machine
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Would like a good optical drive for dvd rw etc, and a second hard drive around 2TB
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Open to it
    8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser/PayPal
    9. When are you purchasing? In the next month
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based[font=Arial, sans-serif]? [/font]Yes, but am willing to let Mindfactory build it for me
    I appreciate any help and advice you can give to me.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor (€345.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard (€111.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€257.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€139.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€58.50 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Mini Video Card (€146.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F31 ATX Mid Tower Case (€83.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (€67.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer (€19.61 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Other: Card Reader (€10.00)
    Total: €1241.61
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-27 00:53 CEST+0200

AFAIK Ryzen 7-1700 comes with a bundled cooler.
    Don't let Mindfactory build it for you; more hassle if anything isn't working out-the-box.

Thanks  K.O.Kiki. Do you think it would be worthwhile getting a cooler like the [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as a cooler? [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

The R7 1700 should come with the Wraith cooler from AMD. It is leagues better than the basic intel model and you won't see much difference between it and the 212 Evo.

Thanks  K.O.Kiki. Do you think it would be worthwhile getting a cooler like the [font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo as a cooler? [/font]

Wraith Spire is a fine OEM cooler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe hold up just a sec. The last time AMD were competitive the Adobe Suite applications heavily favoured intel. Id make sure that wasnt going to be an issue again before buying team red.

ED E wrote: »
    Maybe hold up just a sec. The last time AMD were competitive the Adobe Suite applications heavily favoured intel. Id make sure that wasnt going to be an issue again before buying team red.
    Tests by Puget Systems (1700X/1800X @ stock speeds)
    Photoshop
    Premiere Pro
    Lightroom

I'd say they're perfoming competitively to 7700K & more expensive Intel chips.

Thanks for the input guys and the useful articles K.O.Kiki. Since the computer will be used for the Adobe suite of applications would the 7700K be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It is mostly a toss up, though Intel does have the edge currently with the 7700K in most tasks from what I'm reading. The differences are pretty small though so it is mostly up to you and which you feel gets you the best value. The Ryzen is a little more futureproof due to the additional cores and more optimisation on the way (assuming Adobe does anything to utilise the extra cores). Intel is faster right now in most tasks in Photoshop on large files. The intel build may also work out cheaper due to recent price cuts (I would need to double check this).

Advertisement