Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens to a letter with insufficient or no postage and no return address ?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

A guy from adverts said he'd cover the postage and packing for a small item costing 4 euro. I was decluttering an item worth over 20 for 4 so postage and packing was definitely expected and explicitly agreed in the comments.

The whole thing is ridiculous because he lives ten to 15 mins away from me by car but he insisted on this.

Anyway I get a bubble wrap letter franked on the outside addressed to me in the letterbox with another franked bubble wrapped letter inside. But no postmark on top which is what I'm used to seeing on stamped letters.

I asked people around me , is this a prepaid envelope and they seemed to think it was. So I thought fair enough its the postage and packing covered.

So I popped the item in a letterbox on Saturday.

I cant for the life of me remember if theres a return address on it.

My brain starts processing after the fact and starts wondering ... maybe it wasnt a prepaid envelope after all and he actually hadnt send me a stamp at all.

So the question is : If this turns out to be a shambles and theres actually no stamp on the letter. What happens to it ? Will they give him the option of receiving it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

what is the ad on adverts? reply by pm if you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

what is the ad on adverts? reply by pm if you wish.

Thanks

Is there any indication this is a policy on the an post website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's been a long disputed issue. An Post contend that they can't have postpeople travelling around with change etc. In practice what happens is a sticker will be affixed to say it's been delayed because of insufficient postage. It has to be delivered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Last month, I completely forgot to put a stamp on some important paperwork. I didn't have my name as the sender either.

An Post opened the envelope and were able to identify me from the documentation.

They posted it back to me. It was dropped back in my letterbox resealed.

It could have sat in a depot somewhere, but they made the effort to get it back to me quickly. Their other alternatives are:

1) Ask the recipient to accept the cost

2) Shred after a period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The whole thing is ridiculous because he lives ten to 15 mins away from me by car but he insisted on this.

Anyway I get a bubble wrap letter franked on the outside addressed to me in the letterbox with another franked bubble wrapped letter inside. But no postmark on top which is what I'm used to seeing on stamped letters.
    This simply sounds like he is lazy and got/nicked 2 "free" franking stickers from his workplace.

rubadub wrote: »
    This simply sounds like he is lazy and got/nicked 2 "free" franking stickers from his workplace.

They werent stickers. It was printed on the envelope. I havent posted a lot of things to people but I've always paid for the envelope and postage at my end so I assumed that in accordance with the agreement it was some sort of prepaid envelope and an envelope with my name on it was also stamped.

He had written my name and address on the envelope and there was a printed code and date on the envelope.

A casual conversation with a postman about prepaid envelopes and what they look like and I started to worry as the postman said envelopes with a printed stamp are only valid on the date stamped on them.
    However how could the envelope had this stamp printed on it and no name and address ? Only my name and address was written clearly on it and no tippex/cover ups etc .

Well the good news is he messaged me and told me the letter had arrived and hes very happy with the item etc so I'm out of the woods there .

I responded saying thanks for letting me know and added in that I had wondered about the postage mark on the envelope but he didnt reply.

At least this is a good example of reasons why to always write in a return address !

Advertisement