Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the water in Ireland cause eczema?

Options
  • 20-03-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Since moving to Ireland My wife and two children have had problems with eczema. The doctor said that it is because of the water here. Why does this happen and is there anything that can be done about it? Right now the only way to stop the eczema is to not have their faces come into contact with the water (the face is where the rash is).

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

it maybe because the water is hard and hard water contains alot of minerals some of which can dry your skin out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Can't explain the water but Coconut oil is great on the rash.
    I have a 2 year old who gets it from
    Banana, pears, peppers, wool, dairy, rice,wheat and nearly all detergents.
    Coconut oil is my friend. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Moonbeam wrote: »
    it maybe because the water is hard and hard water contains alot of minerals some of which can dry your skin out.

We have a water softener, isn't that supposed to un-harden the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

cbyrd wrote: »
    Can't explain the water but Coconut oil is great on the rash.
    I have a 2 year old who gets it from
    Banana, pears, peppers, wool, dairy, rice,wheat and nearly all detergents.
    Coconut oil is my friend. ;)

cbyrd - can I ask how you know your 2 year old gets it from those that you listed, did you get tested and if so where? Or did you find out from trial and error?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Could also be the weather and change in diet from moving countries. The wind here is harsh as is the cold. Having the heating on a lot also dries your skin out. Or if your towels are hard rubbing them on the face could cause it. Could be anything really rather than just the water. My husband has asthma and is susceptible to eczema. He just uses a moisturiser when it flats up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hammy007

armabelle wrote: »
    Since moving to Ireland My wife and two children have had problems with eczema. The doctor said that it is because of the water here. Why does this happen and is there anything that can be done about it? Right now the only way to stop the eczema is to not have their faces come into contact with the water (the face is where the rash is).

We have the same problems- we use Aquaphor when it's really bad, or homemade sugar scrubs to keep it at bay. Not sure about the water as I'm not a handy person, but maybe you can get a filter for the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

armabelle wrote: »

I think it can be hard to pinpoint what causes eczema on one child versus what causes it on another.

Water in Ireland has varying degrees of softness and depending on if the water you get is from the mains or from a local well etc it may contain fluoride and chlorine - both of which is believed to cause eczema in some people. I would love to get a water filter. I used to give my kids daily baths but only do so once or twice a week now.

I have managed to get my two kids eczema under control for the last few months but it has taken a hell of a lot to get here. There has been no need to put cream on their skin for months. I followed the advice given by the solveeczema.org (US based) and will be forever grateful for this site.
    Other parents who have found success using A.J’s advice include sammysskin.blogspot.com, itchybaby.co.uk (UK based) and http://www.soseczema.com/ (Irish based). All parents of kids who had extreme eczema, poor things.

Weyhey wrote:
    cbyrd - can I ask how you know your 2 year old gets it from those that you listed, did you get tested and if so where? Or did you find out from trial and error?

Just trial and error and eliminating and reintroducing to make sure. Every now and again I'll try a banana or pepper and within a few hours her legs and arms are coming up in a rash.

Also, I don't use soap on her skin, I use modere products, (bought online) or moo goo if I'm stuck.
    :) I also don't use any washing detergent at all. I have a kangen water filter in the kitchen and I use 11.5 alkaline water for laundry washing. A vinegar soak for gym clothes.
    I've never used steroid creams, I use marigold petals steeped in coconut oil .. sounds mad but it works, she also gets a big spoon of coconut oil in her morning smoothie.
    I have problems with dairy as do 2 of my other kids and my 2 year olds dad is ceoliac. During weaning I discovered that rice or products containing rice, like gluten free products will cause a mild flare up. She won't come up in a rash but by night time she's driven mad itchy, which interrupts her and my sleep.
    It's a constant battle to keep an eye on her and keep her out of the food presses, :) specially now she very mobile and curious.

That's why I do the checks every now and again, just to be sure but she's got a really good diet and I make lots of homemade treats for her.

My eldest used to get bad acne, She's 18 now and last year went vegetarian, her skin cleared up completely within 3 months and now only gets a spot or too when she due her period.
    She's gone vegan now and she feels amazing. She had a lot of anxiety and depression issues and I think (she's sure) her diet change has improved her mood considerably.
    The foods we put in our bodies has a huge effect on us, inside and out. I've learned so much over the years about gut health and its effect on the skin. Some people are more susceptible to additives in foods or certain food just don't agree with them.
    It's completely trial and error finding the triggers. It's also great when you do find them and 'cure' a complaint without medication. Medications will usually treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

Advertisement