Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booked Hotel- No terms & conditions

Options
  • 20-03-2017 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You should have established their cancellation policy before giving your credit card number. As a precaution, I ask when I'm booking and agreeing the room rate if they are going to charge my credit card there and then and they always say 'no'. When they then get my credit card details and ask for the security number, I tell them that they only need that if they are going to zap the charge there and then and I refuse to give it, they always back down.

Where do you stand? If it's a small Irish hotel then the owner is probably a greedy bastard (ask anyone who's ever worked in one) who will charge you for at least one night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

coylemj wrote: »
    You should have established their cancellation policy before giving your credit card number. As a precaution, I ask when I'm booking and agreeing the room rate if they are going to charge my credit card there and then and they always say 'no'. When they then get my credit card details and ask for the security number, I tell them that they only need that if they are going to zap the charge there and then and I refuse to give it, they always back down.

Where do you stand? If it's a small Irish hotel then the owner is probably a greedy bastard (ask anyone who's ever worked in one) who will charge you for at least one night.

You can put transactions through without the security number so that makes no sense? You just enter it as missing or illegible depending on what technology you're using?

Op have you tried to see if they'll meet you halfway maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

It could reasonable be argued that if the website does not give details of a cancellation policy, it means that there is no cancellation policy - that when a booking is agreed by both parties, an enforceable contract exists. So don't get up on a high horse: it's a matter for discussion between you.

As a general rule, if a question of this nature went to court, the court would seek to find out what "custom and practice" is (for the accommodation business in general). That, as must of us know, tends to vary. My guess is that a judge would seek a middle position, which might be that you forfeit the price of the first night. If the hotel offers to settle on those terms, I suggest that you agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm guessing he got a full refund so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing as the OP has removed their post.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement