Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Broadband & Consumer Rights

Options
  • 20-03-2017 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I am posting on behalf of a parent. What are my consumer rights with regard to cancelling broadband and phone package with Eir? 
    I have had the issue with broadband for over six months. Rang numerous times to be told there is no issue with line, modem has been replaced etc but the broadband speed is as of today 0.32Mb.
    Am I correct in saying that the service is not being provided as advertised?

Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi myfourcents,

Thank you for getting in touch and sorry to hear of the slower speeds.

In regards to broadband speeds, unfortunately, we cannot gaurentee any speeds when signing up with us. 

When agreeing to packages we advise of speeds up to as we cannnot see what exact speeds you will be receiving.

I'm afraid if you are in contract with eir you will receive early cease charges for breaking contract.

Thanks,
    Anna.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 myfourcents

Hello Anna,

I acknowledge that it is not possible to guarantee a speed due to multiple factors providing a service with a speed of 0.32Mbs can hardly be referred to as broadband speeds. This speed is closer to dial up speeds from twenty years ago than broadband speeds in 2017.
    I have had numerous visits to house by technicians, line checks, phone calls so Eir acknowledge that there is an issue but after months there is no improvement in line speed.

The customer service being provided is shameful.

Is there any way you can provide broadband speeds or is it a case of repeated 1 hour phone calls being passed around to different people with the promise of a call back that does not happen, promises of technician visits because as things stand, ultimately nothing has improved since the initial communication?

Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

0.23mb is absolutely not an acceptable level of service. As you said this does not even qualify as boradband.
    I would be looking up Frustration of Contract which will entitle you to break contract  under certain circumstances.

I have myself in the past, although with a different provider successfully broken a contract with no penalty under this law.

goodlad wrote: »
    0.23mb is absolutely not an acceptable level of service. As you said this does not even qualify as boradband.
    I would be looking up Frustration of Contract which will entitle you to break contract  under certain circumstances.

I have myself in the past, although with a different provider successfully broken a contract with no penalty under this law.
    Thank you for your response... When you broke the contract in the past, was it just a matter of telling them that you were going breaking the contract under "Frustration of Contract"? Did they respond or have any queries or did they just agree? 

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I had to cover myself on it. I had records of the numerous calls to resolve it. Times and dates etc.. and speed tests saved.
    I sent in a registered letter informing them of my intent to cancel due to frustration of contract if they cannot provide the contracted service.

10 days later they did not reply to me so i cancelled the contract. As expected i got a bill for the remaining contract time but after a call to their accounts team i let them know of the issues and my registered letter etc... I got a call back a few days later telling me the account balance has been wiped out and i wont get another bill.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your response.. I think I will try this and see what happens.. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hello Anna,

I acknowledge that it is not possible to guarantee a speed due to multiple factors providing a service with a speed of 0.32Mbs can hardly be referred to as broadband speeds. This speed is closer to dial up speeds from twenty years ago than broadband speeds in 2017.
    I have had numerous visits to house by technicians, line checks, phone calls so Eir acknowledge that there is an issue but after months there is no improvement in line speed.

The customer service being provided is shameful.

Is there any way you can provide broadband speeds or is it a case of repeated 1 hour phone calls being passed around to different people with the promise of a call back that does not happen, promises of technician visits because as things stand, ultimately nothing has improved since the initial communication?

Regards,
    Hi  myfourcents,

I completely understand how frustrating it can be. 

If this is your parents account, the account holder would need to contact us for us to look into this.

However, if you are a named contact on the account can you please PM me the account number and your full name and I will check up on this?

Thanks,
    Anna

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

eir: Anna wrote: »
    Hi myfourcents,

Thank you for getting in touch and sorry to hear of the slower speeds.

In regards to broadband speeds, unfortunately, we cannot gaurentee any speeds when signing up with us. 

When agreeing to packages we advise of speeds up to as we cannnot see what exact speeds you will be receiving.

I'm afraid if you are in contract with eir you will receive early cease charges for breaking contract.

Thanks,
    Anna.
    This is an appalling and couldn't-care-less reply. A new customer signs up to receive Broadband from Eir and gets 0.32 which is nowhere near Broadband and can't be fixed. Bad enough to offer Broadband to this person in the first place but to then say "tough luck but you signed up with us and we're going to charge you if you leave" adds insult to injury. Why couldn't Eir just say sorry, it's our fault, we couldn't provide you with what we contracted to give you (Broadband) and give them a full refund.

Advertisement