Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease renewal

Options
  • 20-03-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi, I started renting in April 2015, so this April will be my second year in the property. Last year I emailed the landlord to let him know that we (myself and my partner) intended to stay another year. He just wrote back saying thanks. We don't contact much at all.

Do I need to email him again to let him know that we intend to stay another year or will it be assumed? I'm just worried that if I don't contact him this year, he might assume that we're not staying. What do people usually do? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

You don't HAVE to mail him, but I'd just do that for your peace of mind.Nothing wrong with letting him know. You also might be due a rent review.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You don't HAVE to mail him, but I'd just do that for your peace of mind.Nothing wrong with letting him know. You also might be due a rent review.

I agree, always best to keep clear communication about intentions.

OP, bear in mind you have Part 4 tenancy rights and a lease doesn't need to be signed to continue renting as you are covered by the law anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

That's great, thanks a million for the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

.Nothing wrong with letting him know. You also might be due a rent review.

And thats why i wouldn't even contact him. Lay low and he seriously might just forget ...

Advertisement