Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Verizon US dollar dividends

Options
  • 20-03-2017 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi - having missed the deadline last year sometime for selling off Verizon shares, myself and other family members get these measly dividend cheques every now and again for about 40 cents a go which always go out of date as presumably they would cost more to lodge than they are worth.

I have 2 questions:
    (1)Is there any way these cheques can be made use of/donated to charity? and (2)Does anybody think there will ever come about an easy way to get rid of/sell off these shares again?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Can you not have the dividends paid to your broker account?

What's stopping you from selling the shares today if you just want to get rid of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Window1

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I have a broker account - sorry I know next to nothing about shares!

Before I posted my questions, I search boards.ie and it seems, due to costs, it is not worthwhile for those with small holdings to sell them.

So I just thought if there was a way to allocate the dividends to a charity in the US they might be able to make use of them, rather than cheques being posted here which go unlodged due to lodging them costing more than their value!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I have not done this, but apparently it is possible.

www.sharegift.org/

*** I see you just want to donate the dividend, apologies, that site I sent only applies to donating shares themselves.

Thanks - I had a look at that site - it seems good - might even consider donating the shares and not just the dividend - over 26 million sterling donated to charities via that site since 1996 - and they have special Irish charities too:)

• Advertisement

Just thought I would update this - many years later!

The reason is because I recently got the value of my Verizon shares and some unclaimed dividends refunded to me.

The process is detailed in another thread. The link to this thread is https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058173828/delaware-unclaimed-property-verizon-shares#latest

Someone may find it useful.

Advertisement