Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden

Options
  • 20-03-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Just moved into a house and the garden is very big like muddy even when it's not raining when it's raining it's like a ice rink ,is there something I can do to fix this ,sand or something one person said but I didn't understand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do you have standing water after a few dry days?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

No water just very muddy even after a few dry days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Is it a new build? A few pics would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

About six years ,it's just very slippy when u walk on it muddy ,the soil is very thick wet like ,us there a solution ,or even adding sand maybe I don't know now I'm just guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

About six years ,it's just very slippy when u walk on it muddy ,the soil is very thick wet like ,us there a solution ,or even adding sand maybe I don't know now I'm just guessing

There is always something you can do, the thing is how far are you prepared to go and how much are you prepared to spend?
    There are many causes for bad drainage, some are simple to cure, others not so. Like I said, take a few pictures, they may give clues as to what is causing the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What is the grass cover like, thick or thin/patchy. Healthy lawn takes up a lot of water. Clover is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The Sceptic

Hi All,
    We recently complied a clay bank around our house, the purpose was to create a flood barrier. This bank of clay is amount one meter high and about 2 metres wide at the base. This runs for about 48 metres.

We needed this bank of clay for flood prevention, but our only problem now is maintenance. There is grass growing wild and weeds growing. We have treated the weeds with weed killer but not the grass (we strimmed the grass).

There is too much grass to maintain all year round and it is too hard to manage.

Can we sow something like heather on this to keep down grass, have low maintenance and not have it ugly looking???

Any tips / advice appreciated.

Advertisement