Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pet Insurance - Help........

Options
  • 20-03-2017 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that will insure dogs over the age of 4?

I have 3 Border Collies aged 8, 6 and 4.

They are all chipped and neutered. They are not working dogs. They are not 'outside' dogs. All in excellent health. Never had any issues at the vets other than annual vaccinations/health check ups. Never any claims made on insurance. Totally secured garden. They are never allowed off their leads in public and are never allowed to roam. Someone is at home with them all day.

I was with 123.ie who have recently pulled out of the market. They have passed my details on to another group (I see from the sticky that the other group are not allowed to be mentioned - God knows why?? ). This other crowd are pleased to quote me over €750 which is slightly eye watering.

As a responsible dog owner, I have ALWAYS had any dog I have owned insured.

I am not being lazy. I have tried every company that appears in Google searches but none will insure a dog over the age of 4.

I would really welcome any suggestions/recommendations for companies either here or in a private message.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I really do appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Allianz insure dogs up until their 8th birthday, so they may be able to help with the two younger ones. I don't think you'll find anyone to insure the 8 year old though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

€750 for the 4 year old on his own or for all 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

tk123 wrote: »
    €750 for the 4 year old on his own or for all 3?

It is 750€ for all 3. The premiums have increased every year even though there has never been any claims.

Limbo123 wrote: »
    It is 750€ for all 3. The premiums have increased every year even though there has never been any claims.

750 for 3 dogs is ok imo.. Other companies seem to have a lowish price when you start the policy and it gradually goes up compared to alliance where it might be slightly higher to start. Ours have gone up €10-20 each year and I think one went up €100 after one of the big claims... but that same policy went down €100 last year because he turned 7 so I have to pay 35% of every claim now.

I'm paying €587 for my two :
    - €264 for my 4 year old who's had €230 in claims ever
    - €323 for the other guy who's 7 and has had almost.... 11k in claims (add another 1800 as of tomorrow :eek:)

I guess it comes down to how much cash you can get hold of quickly if something happens - referral places generally want payment up front compared to a smaller practice who might let you pay in instalments. Or how much you can sink into medication/tests if one of them develops a condition that needs regular medication etc

tk123 wrote: »
    750 for 3 dogs is ok imo.. Other companies seem to have a lowish price when you start the policy and it gradually goes up compared to alliance where it might be slightly higher to start. Ours have gone up €10-20 each year and I think one went up €100 after one of the big claims... but that same policy went down €100 last year because he turned 7 so I have to pay 35% of every claim now.

I'm paying €587 for my two :
    - €264 for my 4 year old who's had €230 in claims ever
    - €323 for the other guy who's 7 and has had almost.... 11k in claims (add another 1800 as of tomorrow :eek:)

I guess it comes down to how much cash you can get hold of quickly if something happens - referral places generally want payment up front compared to a smaller practice who might let you pay in instalments. Or how much you can sink into medication/tests if one of them develops a condition that needs regular medication etc

I paid €550 last year so its a fairly big increase considering none of the dogs have ever had a claim. No real justification in the price hike.

Will ring a few places up North in the morning to see if they can do anything. If not, will need to ring this crowd and see if they can do anything about the figures.

• Advertisement

I wonder if they've hiked it like that to encourage customers to cancel? What a pile of crap :(.. That said I hope my latest claim is covered(!)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

220euro for my German Shepherd - no claims
    280 for my cairn terrier - had a claim with her acl been done, and has a heart murmur.

Wouldn't be without the insurance, I sign a form at the vets, a few days later I get a letter in the door stating the claim is settled and the check will be sent to the vets.

Your quote isn't to bad at all for 3 dogs imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Limbo123 wrote: »
    I paid €550 last year so its a fairly big increase considering none of the dogs have ever had a claim. No real justification in the price hike. .

As the dogs get older, the risk to the insurance company increases. That's why the premium goes up year on year, regardless of claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

I have called the company today and they have offered me near enough the same premium as last year - €619.

• Advertisement
Advertisement