Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating Power Consumption of PC

Options
  • 20-03-2017 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi, I'm using my gaming PC to mine cryptocurrency and want to calculate the wattage the PC is using while mining. I've looked online and a lot of websites mention Kill A Watt but it doesn't seem to be available in Ireland. Is there an equivalent to that here or on the UK Amazon that I could use or is there another way I can tell what wattage my PC is using?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

crowseye wrote: »
    Hi, I'm using my gaming PC to mine cryptocurrency and want to calculate the wattage the PC is using while mining. I've looked online and a lot of websites mention Kill A Watt but it doesn't seem to be available in Ireland. Is there an equivalent to that here or on the UK Amazon that I could use or is there another way I can tell what wattage my PC is using?

A. You're losing money.

B. Plenty of options:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Watt+meter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Standard CISC processors like the one in your PC are pretty poor at this, GPUs are better but power hungry and still not as good or as cost effective as dedicated ASIC based miners. All your profit is used up powering the computer.

A cheap Raspberry Pi and a couple of cheap miners are more profitable than running your PC.

As for figuring out what power your PC is consuming, a simple multimeter with a good current (Amps) range and some simple maths will be more accurate than any software.

Ken

Advertisement