Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving fish

Options
  • 20-03-2017 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I hope to move 3 goldfish (8inches long) from my mums pond to mine . Distance appox 90 miles, but time could be 2 or 3 hours.
    Anyone got some good advice?...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you already have fish in your pond? reason i ask is that it'll reduce the biodiversity of your pond if you don't already; just in case that's something you woudl regard as an issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

rje66 wrote: »
    I hope to move 3 goldfish (8inches long) from my mums pond to mine . Distance appox 90 miles, but time could be 2 or 3 hours.
    Anyone got some good advice?...

One of the 90L plastic tubs with lids from woodies or wherever, half fill it with pond water as the oxygen as important as the quantity of water, should be grand.

When moving them over, fill it gradually with the new pond water over a few hours until you've a 50/50 mix, then release them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Temperature changes kill fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭blackbox

Silverfish wrote: »
    One of the 90L plastic tubs with lids from woodies or wherever, half fill it with pond water as the oxygen as important as the quantity of water, should be grand.

When moving them over, fill it gradually with the new pond water over a few hours until you've a 50/50 mix, then release them.

Before you use a new tub be sure to wash and rinse it well. New plastic items can have traces of release agent from the moulding process.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

blackbox wrote: »
    Before you use a new tub be sure to wash and rinse it well. New plastic items can have traces of release agent from the moulding process.

Yeah, forgot about that bit, mine are so old I didn't remember.
    Try and get foodsafe ones if possible, they'll have a knife and fork logo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

do you already have fish in your pond? reason i ask is that it'll reduce the biodiversity of your pond if you don't already; just in case that's something you woudl regard as an issue.

My pond is a new one so these will prob be the first ones in, but im not in a rush to move them.
    Is it a good idea to get some silt/sludge from botton of established pond to introduce new organisims etc to my pond??
    Also my pond will be appox 800lts, only have access to tap water. So should i fill well in advance to allow clorine etc to disappear??

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FR85

If you could get a filter pad from your mums filter and place it in your own filter it will help with bacteria forming, at this time of the year though bacteria is dormant so it may or may not help. Rocks that maybe in your mums pond will also have bacteria on them so you could transfer some of these too. I assume you will have a filter running??

Yes, fill the pond and let chlorine and the likes disappear, you can get additives to assist in this and for a 700l pond it wouldn't be too expensive to add these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Thanks for replies.
    No filters, hers is natural with just oxygenating plants.
    Mine is simple enough,
    Pump and spout keep oxygen levels up and lots of plants.

Advertisement