Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation of the site

Options
  • 20-03-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭

Serious concerns have been raised in the past few days regarding the moderation for the Aviation and Aircraft forum, including from myself. I was hoping for a constructive discussion but sadly there was no will for that to take place.

In particular, users took issue with one moderator in particular for the vast censoring of discussion, deletion of posts for no real reason and just in general gross over modding, as well as abusing mod powers to make their opinion fact.

As retaliation this evening it seems, I have received a warning for absolutely nothing. Rarely do I play the innocent young boy in such a fashion, but the warning was just so ridiculous it was quite funny.

Other forums can have rather strange and erratic modding as well, but I don't come across many issues personally. The site does have a name for it's strict and often unusual moderation. This is not me mod-bashing.

Could we please have a discussion here between Mods/CMods/Admins and the users of the site, so that maybe the users and moderators could have a discussion site that it going a way positive for both of us?

I would ask that both users and the higher up in the site take into consideration both sides, as opposed to a shouting match between Users and Mods/CMods/Admins, neither of who wish to accept eachothers points.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

That forum must be a nightmare to mod with the tragedy that occurred recently so no surprise there's much more mod action, with ( I'm guessing) a huge jump in traffic. When there's discussions involving the deaths of real people, and as close to home as this, I'd expect zero/low tolerance moderation, at least until things had been resolved, for the family of those who died.

If there has been what people consider to be over moderation, or unfair bans, warnings etc then the dispute resolution forum is a good place to start.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,173 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'd agree it would not be easy for the moderation considering the large increase in traffic. This isn't unexpected, nor is this new. The Aviation and aircraft forum always experiences a VAST increase in traffic when there in an incident. This is something that should be prepared for.

While I feel empathy, I feel mistakes were make, these could at least be acknowledged and some contingency could be put in place for the future, as one moderator is not enough for such vast amounts of posts.

I feel it was a bit of a Mod/Cmod/Admin back up after these issues were raised, understandable the users were quite annoyed and were quite harsh, but this was replicated by the Mod/CMod/Admins rather than a balance trying to be met. It's not a fight, we should be working together rather than having conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi JCX BXC

I'm closing this feedback thread. The team are still digesting and taking on board many of the points from the last forum feedback thread which also apply here. As Tom Mann also calls out this was a difficult time on foot of a tragedy, I'm not sure there's ever a way to moderate such an incident where the mod can please everybody. As noted though there was increased involvement from the cmod and admin team all be it a little late to the game, but the support measures are there, its just unfortunate it was the weekend it was.

Now if you want to get a review of the card you were issued you can discuss with the mod, but if you've already attempted that and the mod isn't moving on the card then you can take it to DRF where the cmod team will complete their review and take whatever action is necessary.

Again, thanks for flagging this.
    Taltos

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement