Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives Ways to Find a House For Sale That's Not Daft

Options
  • 20-03-2017 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,
    We've been going around in circles on Daft looking for a house to buy.
    It's been tough work and many many late nights staring at a screen.
    I was wondering if there's any other way to find a house for sale that doesn't involve Daft and doesn't involve the internet.
    We are going to go door-to-door with notes in specific areas but is there any other way?
    Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated,
    Brian
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

What is the purpose of going door to door? If someone wants to sell, they will advertise it to get the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briandun1

I suppose we'd hope that some people don't want to go through sales agents and would prefer a quicker and "less hassle" sale. If the property is in probate, for example, a large family may prefer a quicker sale because the fee would be divided up so much between them that any gains bringing it to market wouldn't be so big when divided.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I suppose there is no harm in trying. I think people's desire for higher sale will outweigh dislike of hassle.

I wouldn't do it for the reasons stated before and it may look like I'm very keen on a particular area. If an estate agent found out, it could be used against me to drive up the price. Or they may not want to deal with me, for fear i try to cut them out of the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In some areas there are estate agents who take listings of houses which are sold without advertising. No idea how to find them except word of mouth - if you need to ask you probably aren't the target market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

briandun1 wrote: »
    I suppose we'd hope that some people don't want to go through sales agents and would prefer a quicker and "less hassle" sale. If the property is in probate, for example, a large family may prefer a quicker sale because the fee would be divided up so much between them that any gains bringing it to market wouldn't be so big when divided.

I think that's wishful thinking tbh... I would imagine most people would be self serving and go for the more money option!

Just to give you some experience of being on the other side... over a period of 12 months I've received 3/4 "similar properties required" letters through the door from estate agents and 2 unsolicited people at the door asking would I consider selling. So chances are you're not the only one doing it if it's an area in short supply but don't be naive in thinking someone's going to suddenly decide to up and leave their home because a nice person that came to the door wants to buy it. (That prob sounds harsher than I mean it to)

If you haven't already I would get in touch with all the local estate agents and get yourselves/what you're looking for known to them in case they do get properties that don't want to be advertised. Don't reveal too much about your budget! Also property management companies might have leads on landlords that may be thinking of selling up.

Best of luck with the hunt, I can empathise with how soul destroying it can be especially in high demand areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Are there no houses for sale that you want, or are they just too expensive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Estate agents may have houses for sale that aren't on Daft because families have asked them not to.

I wouldn't go with the option of sticking notes in doors, it makes you look a bit desperate and people might push the price up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

briandun1 wrote: »

Good luck convincing a large family they got the appropriate price if it wasn't sold through an agent. One member will turn up armed with their solicitor and you'll be years buying the place.

Realistically anything that is going to be sold to an "outsider" is listed on daft/myhome; unadvertised sales are effectively for people in the know only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Ring estate agents and see if they have anything on their books which they have not put up on Daft yet, as it can take them time to take pictures and advertise the property. You might be lucky and find a seller who wants a quiet and fast sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

EmoCourt wrote: »
    Ring estate agents and see if they have anything on their books which they have not put up on Daft yet, as it can take them time to take pictures and advertise the property. You might be lucky and find a seller who wants a quiet and fast sale.

exactly how I found this rental house

Also, yes, ask at eg local post offices and shops. I was out a while ago and saw several rental and sales signs at houses not listed

• Advertisement
Advertisement