Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp Objects [HBO] - *Spoilers*

Options
  • 20-03-2017 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,480 ✭✭✭✭

Chris Messina is set as the male lead opposite Amy Adams in HBO’s eight-episode drama series Sharp Objects.

Written by Marti Noxon based on the book by Gillian Flynn and directed by Jean Marc Vallée, Sharp Objects centers on reporter Camille Preaker (Adams). Fresh from a brief stay at a psychiatric hospital, Camille must return to her tiny hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. Trying to put together a psychological puzzle from her past, Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims a bit too closely.

Messina will play Kansas City Detective Richard Willis, who is brought in to provide support to a small town Sheriff searching for the killer of a young girl. His investigation stalls until he meets Camille (Adams) who is covering the crime for a St. Louis paper. The lines between their professional and personal relationship are blurred as they try to solve this mystery.

Noxon, writer of the pilot, will serve as the showrunner and will write episodes along with Flynn. Executive producers are Jason Blum, Charles Layton and Jessica Rhoades, as well as Adams, Flynn, Noxon, Vallée and Nathan Ross.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/sharp-objects-chris-messina-co-star-hbo-amy-adams-series-1202046084/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I enjoyed the book (not as much as Gone Girl or Dark Places), but I have a lot of faith in Marti Noxon, so it could be a decent adaptation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

When is this airing? Is there any trailer or footage available? Is this another thread about a show a year (or close to it) away?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,634 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Haven't read this one by Flynn of but the story feels familiar from that synopsis.

That is an all star cast and production team and with HBO funding it I'd have high hopes it will really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yep putting this on my to do list due to the people and station behind it

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

When is this airing? Is there any trailer or footage available? Is this another thread about a show a year (or close to it) away?

Yep, but a pretty high profile one. It'll drift down the forum when there is no news, so it's not doing any harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Mr E wrote: »
    Yep, but a pretty high profile one. It'll drift down the forum when there is no news, so it's not doing any harm.
    Fair enough. Just wondering though, what other rules from the TV board charter don't have to be followed, or have exceptions?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That line was added to the charter because we were being flooded with show announcements at the time (no offense, Liz!)

That seems to have tapered off somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,480 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Mr E wrote: »
    That line was added to the charter because we were being flooded with show announcements at the time (no offense, Liz!)

That seems to have tapered off somewhat.

The good old days of Richard Dower, he is missed ;)

Amy Adams cannot put a foot wrong, excellent actress, looking forward to this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Based on a book by Gillian Flynn. It's a teaser here, so a bit vague, but I like that. Looks like it's right at home on HBO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I kinda found it hard to shake Lois Lane outta my head watching the trailer

Starts July 9th on Sky Atlantic :)

Anyone given it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Anyone given it a go?

Has the first episode leaked?

Not due to air until 8 July <<< According to IMDb

Thanks, sorry - completely messed up in my diary head with real life deadlines! :o

Glanced a few positive reviews. Optimistic.

Just watched!

Slow drawn out Crap.

Don't think I will be tuning in again! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Interesting

Has a very “The sinner” vibe about it

Was a bit slow all right but has way too much going for it for me to give up.

I also love Chris Messina in anything he’s in. And of course Amy Adams

Patricia Clarkson is good as mommy dearest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Patricia Clarkson is good as mommy dearest

Shudder, so creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Suspenseful, unnerving, cutting edge body of work, which slowly treats the viewer to treacle down, on the edge storytelling, in a small town that is full of misgivings.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Very good in parts but also very overhyped.

End of episode spoiler and why was my download airbrushed of showing the below?
    Damaged enough for one day, Camille heads to her room to draw a bath and pour a large glass of vodka. Next to her glass sits a razor, sharp object number 4. She takes off her robe and climbs into the tub. The camera lingers on Camille's extremities, which she drapes off the side of the tub. First her legs, then her arms, revealing the flesh-colored words sitting on her skin. We realize that the biggest vice that Camille has is self-harm. These are why the sharp objects haunt her. This is why she wears long sleeves while everyone else is covered in sweat. This is why she cringes when everyone calls her pretty and beautiful.
    The final shot reveals the largest word on her arm, "VANISH."

Above taken from here. Which has a full recap of the episode for any minute details you might have missed in watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I enjoyed. Great production values and a stellar cast, as you'd expect from HBO.

A very slow burner, though. It definitely needs patience.

Anyone else get True Detective vibes from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Cina wrote: »
    Anyone else get True Detective vibes from it?
    Is the genre not 'Southern Gothic' as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

First episode very good, looking forward to the rest of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Just watched this the other night, I like it! Nice and dark, and that soundtrack, great stuff! Amy Adams is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

corkie wrote: »
    End of episode spoiler and why was my download airbrushed of showing the below?
    Damaged enough for one day, Camille heads to her room to draw a bath and pour a large glass of vodka. Next to her glass sits a razor, sharp object number 4. She takes off her robe and climbs into the tub. The camera lingers on Camille's extremities, which she drapes off the side of the tub. First her legs, then her arms, revealing the flesh-colored words sitting on her skin. We realize that the biggest vice that Camille has is self-harm. These are why the sharp objects haunt her. This is why she wears long sleeves while everyone else is covered in sweat. This is why she cringes when everyone calls her pretty and beautiful.
    The final shot reveals the largest word on her arm, "VANISH."

Above taken from here. Which has a full recap of the episode for any minute details you might have missed in watching.

Went back and watched it again, the scars are mainly on her back and spell out different words, maybe it appeared faded on the SD version? I’d imagine it becomes clearer in HD.

It says in one recap that there was a PSA with a self harm helpline after it aired in the US so maybe Atlantic toned it down??

• Advertisement

I watched it on the Sky app, quality was fine. Good sense of place and character. The discovery was rather grim.

Only thing that bothered me was there were one or two visual instances where the camera moved paused momentarily, only to move quite quickly. e.g when she got out of bed (in her apartment) and there were things on the floor.

Advertisement