Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp Objects [HBO] - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Watched it. Looks good.

Those flashes where it puts things from the past into the current scene and then disappears them again are cool.

Then the end
    was like.. wtf.. that's a bit opposite of the character so far but maybe explains why her boss was talking to his wife? about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Didn’t think much of the second episode tbh...
    It’s very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Rfrip wrote: »
    Didn’t think much of the second episode tbh...
    It’s very slow

I haven’t read the book and the reviews for this show all seem to be good but I’m finding it very slow also!! I’m definitely not hooked and watched first two episodes expecting it to pick up pace. Not sure I’ll be able To go past episode 3 if it doesn’t pick up pace.

The maid! Was it the maid? Did the maid do it?

Anyway..

So again, that feeling of needing to be glued to the screen in order not to miss the fast flashes in and out of memories.

Feels like its developing the investigation pretty quickly along with her journalism story so I get the feeling we'll be taking a sidesteps in episodes to come to give us some other perspectives.

Felt kinda like they were red herring the audience with
    the cop having pliers at the traffic (stop?) sign he was mending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Slydice wrote: »
    Felt kinda like they were red herring the audience with
    the cop having pliers at the traffic (stop?) sign he was mending.
    I thought the same thing.
    They'll probably start making everyone look suspicious.

It is slow though, but for some reason I quite like it. I just wanna slap the mother :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

MargeS wrote: »
    I just wanna slap the mother :mad:

Just a bit...

Presumably 'sharp objects' as the show's title isn't just about what Camille self-harms with, but also the unhealthy and dysfunctional way in which people bump off of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Third episode in...not feeling this at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I've given up on it. It's just depressing the ****e out of me; same reason I gave up on the Handmaid's Tale. I like Amy Adams too much to watch her hacking at herself with a blade. I did read the book and do remember some of the twists, but I remember not actually liking the book that much either. Gone Girl was much better; had a good bit of black humour in it, which Sharp Objects is lacking. Plus as a huge Led Zeppelin fan, I'm getting sick of them picking the lesser Zep songs for the soundtrack. Even last night, they gave a blast of the intro from "In The Evening" and I was waiting for the main riff to kick in at the final credits...didn't happen :mad:

Three: Oh f***, that built up! Just felt so tense at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Slydice wrote: »
    Three: Oh f***, that built up! Just felt so tense at the end.

Three was definitely a turning point for me as I was ready to give up on it but I thought it was a great episode of tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's definitely a slow build of rising tension as each episode passes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yeah, that was very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Think that's me done with this, after that pile of dung episode 4

Episode 4 was very frustrating and then the last 5 mins kind of turned it on his head. Going to stick with it because next week looks really good.

The stepfathers hand had me wondering there for most of the episode.

Then the ending threw me. I was like.. what the f***?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

It's a tough watch, and not because it's a depressing (which it is), but because it's very slow and meanders around a lot, but it still somehow has enough there to keep me interested. Maybe because the production and acting are so good, and maybe because there is a good story hidden under there that's waiting to explode.

The last five minutes of episode four though... yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Iv it recorded from sky but not yet watched it, will i give it a go? or am i wasting 4-5 hours on it :confused::p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

enjoying it so far, tough watch at times. Looking forward to the conclusion.

Very much a mix of the sinner and true detective season 1

didn't think anything would happen to the sister

the guy directing (from the piano) the players (actors) group.. on the suspect list

• Registered Users Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

It seems like it's very comfortable with its pacing. Alternatively it may rush through a lot in the final few episodes. In the interest of speculation
    the sister is the killer I reckon.

• Advertisement

Gal44 wrote: »
    Iv it recorded from sky but not yet watched it, will i give it a go? or am i wasting 4-5 hours on it :confused::p

Give it a go but it’s very very slow burning

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Love these kind of brooding Southern shows. Are there any other similar shows, apart from True Detective?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

It's an extraordinary piece of television, and the idea that people "might not continue" to watch due to the pacing or boredom is one I find bizarre. I could understand people with child abuse/alcoholic/self harm backgrounds finding it too "triggering" (hate the word but fits here), or just not enjoying this kind of dark genre at all being a valid reason--but given the amount of sheer garbage on tv everyday of the week you'd think there'd be rejoicing ;)

I love it , can't wait for next week's ep.

Is Adora going to cut her hand in every episode now..?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is Adora going to cut her hand in every episode now..?

I think that may prove to be significant actually.

Anyway love this show, find the pacing to be superb in any case. And what a song at the close credits in Palante.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Maybe it's because I can't binge watch this, but I have to admit that I'm getting a little impatient myself with its fannying around. 5 episodes in on an 8 episode series and bugger all has advanced with the case at the centre of the show.

They need to get a move on, or it will all just seem far too rushed (as Hande hoche! said) at the end.

Most of episode 5 was, practically, pointless.

Isn't the case secondary to Camille's mental state, self-worth, personal history, interpretation of the town, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Isn't the case secondary to Camille's mental state, self-worth, personal history, interpretation of the town, etc?

That's central to her character, yes, and the main hook the show, of course. But, there also needs to be a narrative drive extraneous to her character and that's the case she's looking into. Even still, we're not that much more clued into her character or state of mind either and there's just three episodes to go.

Perhaps, when the series is over, there will be a better appreciation of where everything is/was going, but I fear it'll all just end up unsatisfying at the conclusion.

It's a good show, don't get me wrong and I'll watch til the end - unless they introduce something really dumb. But, as mentioned, it might be a show that's better suited to a binge sitting, than waiting week to week?

Although, arguably, most things are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Tony EH wrote: »
    Most of episode 5 was, practically, pointless.

Ditto episode 6.

It's well made with some great performances, and it pretty much masters the art of a sinister, brooding tone. But there's not much happening the past couple of episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is there a whole sexual tension between the step sisters or am I reading that completely wrong.

Advertisement